Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,456 of 6,061
Quote:
How did you measure this?  Tyll got 2.2W into 32ohm and 625mW into 150 from the Soloist.  Which should put the 50ohm number closer to 1.5W.

Thanks! Tyll's measurements makes more sense.

I didn't measure it. I just read the spec's at Burson's site:
http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_Soloist.html
It says 4 Watts in 8 Ohms. This could be wrong of course. In 50 Ohms it makes 640mW.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,457 of 6,061
@ Solude
I can't fnd the measurements of Soloist at InnerFidelity. Could you please send me a link?

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,459 of 6,061
Quote:
Any SA-31 owners willing to do comparisons?

I will.
For now I only have a NFB-27 (featuring a semi-Master-8 headphone amp) for comparison to the SA-31.
I probably won't own either when I'll get my ears on the EF-6, so direct comparison won't be possible.

I will get a Eximus DP1 for a different DAC flavour. This one I will probably keep and will be my point of reference to compare the EF-6 to the SA-31 (by memory).
Don't yet which of the NFB-27 or DP1 I will keep, though.

With my current HE-5LE I prefer the SA-31 over the NFB-27's amp (NFB-27 DAC in both cases) as it imparts the exquisite musical flavour and don't seem to concede anything to the balanced amp in the NFB-27 (even soundstage size).

If I get my hands off a 4-pins XLR - banana adapters, I'd like to try my Dad Exposure 2010S integrated as well (very fun amp with good timing).

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,460 of 6,061
Super! I will correct my post then.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,461 of 6,061
For those who like to make fun of this site and their superior intellect, let's make it clear on why the recommendation of speaker amps.

It's the larger V swing and current delivery (quantity and speed) that makes the speaker amps perform better than almost all headphone amps. The size of the amp (wattage) isn't what's important but the larger wattage amps have bigger power supplies. I don't think anyone is saying to que up a 200wpc amp for it's wattage. The HE-6 is a different animal on quality power supplies that speaker amps offer. It's been noted that it isn't the amount of power but the quality of power that makes the difference and speaker amps offer it cheaper based on the shear volume of amps out there and value compared to TOTL headphone amps.

Signed,
Head Fi Idiot

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,462 of 6,061
I should add - then - that I also have tried my LC Audio ZAPsolute Mk4, a 50 Watt full Class A power amp driving my HE-6. The Mk1 was only bettered by a Mark Levinson costing an astronomical number of coins. The Mk4 was elected amp of the year in its day (about 12 years ago). As earlier stated, my power amp is a huge dual mono beast with two 500VA trafos and 240.000uF of caps delivering 50W in 8 Ohms, 100W in 4 Ohms, 180W in 2 Ohms and is stable in 1 Ohm delivering 300 Watts. It weighs 19.5 kilos. Recently I have had loaned two high quality 200W amps costing about $2500-3000 and sent them back, because my LC Audio is better.

When I compare directly, I prefer the Master-6 to my power amp.
Amuse yourself if you like!
If not, then try demoing the Soloist
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,463 of 6,061
Lars,

My comments above was not directed at you. I don't condemn all headphone amps as some are built with the necessary components to deliver the HE-6s to their potential. But there is a lot of misunderstanding about what's suggested by recommending speaker amps. It's not the amount of power but quality and amount of reserve current available and it's delivery speed that makes a difference from most headphone amps. Please accept my apology for any misunderstanding.

HC

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,464 of 6,061
@ Happy Camper

In my view, as a regular reader of the thread who continues to be informed and entertained, I didn't take your post as a "shot!" to any particular member. But rather as a corrective post to clear-the-air based on a collection of previous comments.

Your post represents an illustration that needed to be painted repainted. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,465 of 6,061
Quote:
Lars,

My comments above was not directed at you. I don't condemn all headphone amps as some are built with the necessary components to deliver the HE-6s to their potential. But there is a lot of misunderstanding about what's suggested by recommending speaker amps. It's not the amount of power but quality and amount of reserve current available and it's delivery speed that makes a difference from most headphone amps. Please accept my apology for any misunderstanding.

HC

Apology accepted HC, and I apologize if I came across a little assertive.
Thought you were commenting my post in general terms. Very nice of you to clarify - also in a PM. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,467 of 6,061
Quote:
For those who like to make fun of this site and their superior intellect, let's make it clear on why the recommendation of speaker amps.

It's the larger V swing and current delivery (quantity and speed) that makes the speaker amps perform better than almost all headphone amps. The size of the amp (wattage) isn't what's important but the larger wattage amps have bigger power supplies. I don't think anyone is saying to que up a 200wpc amp for it's wattage. The HE-6 is a different animal on quality power supplies that speaker amps offer. It's been noted that it isn't the amount of power but the quality of power that makes the difference and speaker amps offer it cheaper based on the shear volume of amps out there and value compared to TOTL headphone amps.

Signed,
Head Fi Idiot

this is true and your speech applies equally for another headphone called akg k-1000.
but warning with the current(not watts):in the past is already happened that the current killed the he-6

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,469 of 6,061
this is true and your speech applies equally for another headphone called akg k-1000.
but warning with the current(not watts):in the past is already happened that the current killed the he-6
You are correct as I've fried a pair. It wasn't from listening too loud. So long as you keep the volume knob to ZERO before turning on, you should be good. :xf_eek:

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,470 of 6,061
Quote:
You are correct as I've fried a pair. It wasn't from listening too loud. So long as you keep the volume knob to ZERO before turning on, you should be good.
redface.gif

Lust, caution...

...to help me better understand this caution, once amp is ZEROED @ turn-on, it's okay to rock out to higher volumes later without incident?

Update: question answered... thanks. Glanced at your post upon first walking in the door. Re-read it and you were clear
rolleyes.gif
 the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back