Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
May 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,201 of 6,061
Welcome to head fi and hide your wallet.

If you are responsible with the volume knob, you should be fine. If you are unsure or have others using your gear, go with lessor power or go for the box.

May 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,202 of 6,061
Thanks Happy Camper. What range is considered "safe" to use with the he-6? I have a Sansui 771 which is 40 wpc that I use for speakers. I might try using that first, That's roughly... 6 watts into 50 ohms I think... That's what the EF-6 puts into them.

May 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,204 of 6,061
Quote:
this is the setup I am getting. for about the price of an lcd3 you get the hifiman he 6, the Sophia baby amplifier and cablepro speaker adaptor.

I d'ont want to spend the rest of my life trying different combinations to find a good sounding amp for the he 6.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/HiFiMan_HE_6_and_Sophia_Baby_Amplifier_Combo_p/ttvjpkg007.htm

Power: 10 watts x 2 Push and Pull class A circuit

Input: One set of RCA input

Output: Russian Military 6P1T x 4(with special treatment for low noise)

Input/Driver tube: NOS 5670 (USA)

Frequency: 6Hz-80KHz +/-3 dB

or 10Hz - 50KHz +/-2 dB

12Hz - 45KHz at 0 dB

Signal/Noise Ratio: -95dB

Distortion: less than 1% at full power

Hum: not measurable (less than 0.3mV)

Weight: 20 pounds

Size: 7 inch x 9 inch x 5 inch

Color: Black metal chassis with hardwood deco

AC Power: 120V/60Hz or 235V/50Hz

Required break in time: 50-100 hours

Warranty: One year parts and labor, Sophia electric brand tubes one year, Non-Sophia Electric tubes 6 month

from the sophiaelectric website. plenty of power for the he 6. and not expensive at all. well not that expensive!

Now that you have had this set-up for a while would you care to give your current impression of it. Does it drive the HE 6 effortlessly? What is the sound like? Am giving some consideration to this combination. Thanks.

May 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,205 of 6,061
Quote:
Now that you have had this set-up for a while would you care to give your current impression of it. Does it drive the HE 6 effortlessly? What is the sound like? Am giving some consideration to this combination. Thanks.

I am taking another route and I am not interested in this setup anymore. I have been listening to the he 6 for the past 3 weeks with my schiit lyr. the only drawback of this setup is the extreme heat when listening for very extended period of time. the lyr is a very decent amplifier. I have genalex gold lion tubes in mine and they are fantastic.

I am  looking for a solid state amplifier with about 70 wpc. and quite frankly the one that interest me the most is the modwright instruments kwi 200 integrated. I would use it with the hifiman adaptor.

he 6 are my favorite headphones and I want to extract all they can give. that is why I am taking my time now. I am not in a hurry. I want to read all the information available to make the best choice.

a lot of people here have discouraged me from buying the Sophia baby and I think they are right. it is not optimal at all.

May 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,206 of 6,061
Quote:
 I am taking another route and I am not interested in this setup anymore. I have been listening to the he 6 for the past 3 weeks with my schiit lyr. the only drawback of this setup is the extreme heat when listening for very extended period of time. the lyr is a very decent amplifier. I have genalex gold lion tubes in mine and they are fantastic.

I am  looking for a solid state amplifier with about 70 wpc. and quite frankly the one that interest me the most is the modwright instruments kwi 200 integrated. I would use it with the hifiman adaptor.

he 6 are my favorite headphones and I want to extract all they can give. that is why I am taking my time now. I am not in a hurry. I want to read all the information available to make the best choice.

a lot of people here have discouraged me from buying the Sophia baby and I think they are right. it is not optimal at all.

I haven't heard it with the HE-6, but the KWI 200 sounds fantastic.  I got to hear one again this weekend, and once again it didn't disappoint.  I've yet to hear any gear from them that fell flat (for me).  

May 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,208 of 6,061

If possible, listening is better than reading if you have a chance. You can take the he adapter to some dealers and listen to some different integrated amps. There are loads of choices.

May 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,209 of 6,061
Very helpful advice. Another person who has this set-up also expressed some disappointment. He said the sound was "good" but once the resistors were added the amp. lost "considerable power." Talking about 70watts per channel amp. I have a Primare 20.1 Mk 2 lying around somewhere. Would be interesting to try it out with the HP. I still have yet to order the HE 6 but will do so very soon. Will also explore the KWI 200. Never heard of this brand before but I'm learning . . .

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

May 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,210 of 6,061
Quote:
Very helpful advice. Another person who has this set-up also expressed some disappointment. He said the sound was "good" but once the resistors were added the amp. lost "considerable power." Talking about 70watts per channel amp. I have a Primare 20.1 Mk 2 lying around somewhere. Would be interesting to try it out with the HP. I still have yet to order the HE 6 but will do so very soon. Will also explore the KWI 200. Never heard of this brand before but I'm learning . . .

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

http://www.modwright.com/products/kwi-200.php

Modwright isn't the end-all, be-all of hi-fi, but I'm certainly a fan.  I'm considering bringing my Modwright preamp along with a B&K power amp (or maybe a modded ST-70) along to the next Dallas Head-Fi meet instead of my Decware or Cavalli amp.

May 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,211 of 6,061
in a perfect world I would like to have the accuphase a-65 pure class a stereo amplifier. 60 wpc in pure class a. 14 000 dollars new in north America and about 10 000 dollars from pricejapan.

i have been reading all night about nelson pass and first watt amps and pure class a amplifiers. i have to admit that it has struck a chord in me. the first watt products interest me a lot but i d'ont know if the current models have enough juice to drive the he 6. i am particularly interested in the j2 and m2 models. pure class a and not that expensive.

also can i just plug the he 6 directly on the terminals with these amps?

May 7, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,212 of 6,061
Quote:
in a perfect world I would like to have the accuphase a-65 pure class a stereo amplifier. 60 wpc in pure class a. 14 000 dollars new in north America and about 10 000 dollars from pricejapan.

i have been reading all night about nelson pass and first watt amps and pure class a amplifiers. i have to admit that it has struck a chord in me. the first watt products interest me a lot but i d'ont know if the current models have enough juice to drive the he 6. i am particularly interested in the j2 and m2 models. pure class a and not that expensive.

In a perfect world, I'd like to try the He-6 on a pair of Atma Sphere, or Manley Snapper Mono, or a Kondo Ongaku setup - we all can dream 
tongue_smile.gif

It's the quality that counts, not the quantity. I have mentioned before that I once used a Kenwood 9100 (95WPC) with a VU meter for the speaker post. Even in loud classical passages the power output never exceeds 3 Watts really.

Prepoman is using a F1J with no problem, and I think Elysian is using a F4. I think there were other who mention using the Aleph 5 too. You can generally just plug the He-6 into solid state amp with no resistor/adapter. I think someone else was using a Fi 421A (only 4WPC) + duelund cast resistor with tremendous result as well.

May 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,213 of 6,061
Quote:

eek.gif

Ha ha ha..   Let me be "not the first"  to say.  The First Watt Amps ie.  The 10wpc into 8ohms FJ1 
biggrin.gif
 drives the HE-6 "effortlessly".  Remember, this is a current source amp.  The key here is quality.  

The J2 and F3 has been know to sound really good with the HE-6 as well.

@khaine,

I think Elysian is, or was using the J2.  I was looking into dual F4s at one time.  

May 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,214 of 6,061
Quote:
In a perfect world, I'd like to try the He-6 on a pair of Atma Sphere, or Manley Snapper Mono, or a Kondo Ongaku setup - we all can dream 
tongue_smile.gif

It's the quality that counts, not the quantity. I have mentioned before that I once used a Kenwood 9100 (95WPC) with a VU meter for the speaker post. Even in loud classical passages the power output never exceeds 3 Watts really.

Prepoman is using a F1J with no problem, and I think Elysian is using a F4. I think there were other who mention using the Aleph 5 too. You can generally just plug the He-6 into solid state amp with no resistor/adapter. I think someone else was using a Fi 421A (only 4WPC) + duelund cast resistor with tremendous result as well.

atma sphere. i had never heard of them, but thanks for mentioning them. now i am very intrigued by those amps! most reviews on the net seem to go in the same direction that they are among the best sounding tube amps out there if not the best. the atma sphere model s-30 seem a very nice amp for the he 6. but i guess i need the hifiman adaptor with this one. i prefer the sound of tube amps. i was looking at first watt because they are compared to good tube amps, but i read a review of a first watt j2 against the atma sphere s-30 and in the end the reviewer much prefered the atma sphere. i believe i am that kind of guy too. not inexpensive, but not more expensive than the j2. and they are beautiful!

May 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,215 of 6,061
Atma is quite picky about the speaker used though - I heard. The main drawing point of Atma is that it's an OTL design if that is your thing, and quite affordable too. The other OTL stuff on the market is Micro Berning

and Transcendent Sound (affordable but you gotta DIY)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back