Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,911 of 6,061
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,912 of 6,061
  Got it, thank you!

(just for clarification, you do mean 160wpc or am I looking at the wrong number? )

Output power 
(both channel drive, a sine wave continuation output, 20Hz - 20kHz)
100W+100W (4ohms) 
80W+80W (8ohms)

mmm my mistake. I was going off a quote by someone else as I got too lazy to look at the spec sheet again.

That would be 80wpc which should still be okay. The quality of the amp is a separate subject which requires listening to know...

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,914 of 6,061
Does the project Ember amp work with 220-240V as well ?

Thanks

The Project Ember uses an external power supply, so I believe it would be a matter of finding the right supply for your area's voltage. To be sure, though I sent Jeremy (from Garage 1217) an email to get a definitive answer.

EDIT: I heard back from Jeremy. If you're outside the U.S., when you order, you just need to specify your region-specific power cord, which is an otherwise normal IEC-320 type found on most PC power supplies.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,915 of 6,061
The Project Ember uses an external power supply, so I believe it would be a matter of finding the right supply for your area's voltage. To be sure, though I sent Jeremy (from Garage 1217) an email to get a definitive answer.

EDIT: I heard back from Jeremy. If you're outside the U.S., when you order, you just need to specify your region-specific power cord, which is an otherwise normal IEC-320 type found on most PC power supplies.

Gosh mate, thanks for doing my leg work for me. :smiley:

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,916 of 6,061
So, is the HE adapter from Hifiman a good adapter to use to listen to a full speaker amp with my headphones? It is kind of pricey $99 but worth it if it is a good product as I could buy a good $200 stereo amp that would be much better with the HE-6 than an equivalent $600 headphone amp, it appears (solely based on reading threads at this forum).

Edit: And now I am aware of Project Ember which seems to be a better solution...a mega powered headphone amp with no need for an adapter for $330. Very nice.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,917 of 6,061
Gosh mate, thanks for doing my leg work for me. :smiley:

Disclaimer: I own a Project Sunrise II and love it with my modded T50RP and as a pre-amp in my Class-D experiments. Other than that, they were a pleasure to deal with, very helpful as I built my PS II and deserve better awareness all around. Frans, the principal designer, has an excellent website, http://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/, that does a great job of explaining head-fi electronics.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #2,918 of 6,061
  So, is the HE adapter from Hifiman a good adapter to use to listen to a full speaker amp with my headphones? It is kind of pricey $99 but worth it if it is a good product as I could buy a good $200 stereo amp that would be much better with the HE-6 than an equivalent $600 headphone amp, it appears (solely based on reading threads at this forum).

Edit: And now I am aware of Project Ember which seems to be a better solution...a mega powered headphone amp with no need for an adapter for $330. Very nice.

I own ember project amp pairing with the He 400.... Its a marvellous flexible amp.... I am very interested to know if its capability include driving He 6 with beauty and ease ? if someone know i want to hear some opinions.....

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,919 of 6,061
Im driving the HE-6 with my Auralic Taurus MKii which has 4.5W of output in single ended. I do think it is an amp that is suitable for driving the HE-6 to high volumes without clipping. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #2,923 of 6,061

I like the HE-6 on the Taurus quite a lot too :)

Good to hear that someone is also enjoying this pairing! Enjoy the music!

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,925 of 6,061
http://www.audiophileexperts.com/en/linar-audio-a105-power-amplifier.html

linar audio a105 stereo pure class A amplifier. 50watts rms x2 into 8 ohms. 65 pounds.

from the founder of simaudio, victor sima. the shop is located in Ottawa Canada. very small factory and he has only one dealer in montreal.

http://linaraudio.com/en/products.html

A115 Stereo MOSFET Power Amplifier could also be a great candidate to drive he-6. class a/B 150 watts into 8 ohms.

they cost 8500 bucks wich is half the price of comparable luxmans, esoteric, musical fidelity. they are cheaper cause the guy wants to stay very small and he only sells in montreal and does not care. but you can find these amps sometimes on canuckaudiomart.

I want the 50 watts pure class A. I am spotting for a used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back