AMPS? DO YOU REALLY NEED ONE?
Dec 9, 2006 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 265

vai-777

100+ Head-Fier
I have always had the notion that the shorter the signal chain the better the sound ( at least in regards to what was originally recorded ) I have always felt that AMPS color the recording way too much.

I mean I like color for the amplification of GUITARS and as most players go I prefer the sound of TUBE AMPS, specifically CLASS A.

However I feel TUBE AMPS for HIFI audio by design have way too many variables to ever get a consistant sound. The tubes themselves are by nature less than perfect and the main reason GUITAR players use them is because of the way they distort the signal. EL34 6L6 EL84 KT66 all are very different sounding as power tubes. To complicate matters further they all sound different from different makers TELEFUNKEN, GROOVE TUBES, FENDER, RCA(good luck) ELECTRO HARMONIX, MARSHALL ECT......

Why would anyone want to add that much color to a recording, you might as well just go and remix the album yourself to your liking. As all guitar players know, SOLID STATE is the way to go for CLEAN,QUIET and BALANCED tone.

So if I were to get an amp it would be a solid state, however! Why would anyone want to put a digital signal through yards and yards of copper/silver/gold/platinum or whatever they make cables from these days. All it does is color the sound. Maybee this is one reason so many people love the HEED CANAMP very simple design with very little wiring, it still has a pc bord and isnt POINT to POINT handwired but none the less its simple. There is less that gets in the way of the signal.

Same goes for headphone cables, why are they so long i mean the shroter the better, i find it ridiculous that some of these high end phones come wth 15 feet extention cables when the already have 10 feet of between the source and the speaker. The signal gets squashed through those lengths of cable. 5 or 6 feet should be sufficient in most cases.

WOW i know this has turned into a rant but I guess all im trying to say is that THE SHORTER THE SIGNAL CHAIN THE BETTER. (at least to me ) I really believe that one of these high end audio comanies need to come up with an integrated Headphone amp / CDP a one in all box that you could just plug and play. For now Ill have to be content with my MARANTZ5001.
But I guess if ARCAM / ROTEL / NAD / WADIA / ECT.... made such a device then how could they get all those profits from thier amps / preamps / power conditioners / cables ect....

So which one of thse companies is going to truly step out of the mold and create a one in all Headphone / cdp plug and play device worthy of being call an AUDIOPHILE system, I mean it cant be that difficult.

I wont hold my breath!!!!!

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 265
You will almost always have an amp in the chain, whether it's the headphone out on a receiver/DAP/PCDP/CDP/etc or a dedicated headphone amp. It's really just a question of whether you want an amp that in many cases is just an after-thought, or an amp dedicated and optimized for the its intended use.

Ant

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 265
Yes, you most probably need an amplifier!
Cause the signal out of most sources are not powerful enough to drive headphones to acceptable listening volume.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 265
Some people prefer a more colored sound.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 265
ACCEPTABLE listening volume?
how loud do you listen to phones?
straight out of my marantz5001 the volume at 9 oclock is more than enough to drive my SENN HD600S. maybee im just used to listening at lower volumes. 40-50 decibles? i dont know, ive never measured. All i know is that anytime i get in a car, or listen to somones house system or phones i find them to be RIDICULOUSLY loud.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All i know is that anytime i get in a car, or listen to somones house system or phones i find them to be RIDICULOUSLY loud.

I completely agree with that statement. I don't know how people do it to themselves.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 265
Headphone amps increase dynamics.... not necesarily overall volume.

Amps, cables, DACs can be used to color the sound. It is left up to the listener to pick a synnergetic system to meet their individual preferences.

My older CD deck has a headphone out. I used to have your philosophy.... simplest signal chain is best. I plugged every one of my cans into that phone jack and they all sounded sterile and cold. So in my setup tubes and OP amps are picked for synnergy with my different headphones. I would absolutely LOVE for that CD headphone jack to sound remotely good... it would have saved me a LOT of $$ and headache. but alas it sucks... so I have to add an amp to get the sonic enjoyment I desire.

Follow YOUR ears.... if it sounds good then it IS good.

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 265
It's kinda like why video cards and physics processors were developed for computers... The generic CPU did everything alright but not really anything REALLY well. And your topic title was kinda misleading
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 265
yeah, as said before.... an amp's function is not entirely to increase the sound volume. A good amp will add resolution and clarity even at low volumes.

it is true that a long cable/sig chain isn't the best thing, but that's usually at extremes, like meters upon meters upon meters of superfluous cables.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 265
You simply need to listen to KNOW there is a difference. And, in general you will hear an increase of quality sonic presentation with better gears which will cost more. There are exceptions and you mention one, the heed a well implimented unique design at a price point that belies the sonic quality it produces. Audio in general is an overpriced luxury and this hobby can get expensive. So in answer to your question. No you don't need an amp of higher quality to enjoy music. Until you spend some time listening to better equepment. Then all apologies to your wallet are to be expected....

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 265
So which one of thse companies is going to truly step out of the mold and create a one in all Headphone / cdp plug and play device worthy of being call an AUDIOPHILE system, I mean it cant be that difficult.

I wont hold my breath!!!!![/QUOTE]

I would like to know if anyone owns one of these http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=MACD5001
It might fit your needs.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #15 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Colour me interested

Oohh x2, nice looking deck for not a lot of $$ IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back