Amplifier and DAC Choice
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Team,

I have been researching choices of headphone amplifiers and DACs to build a desktop rig.

I currently have an All-in-One desktop PC that I will use as the source - coaxial out or USB to be used to connect a DAC and amp.

I have been reading about Burson Audio HA-160 and it seems it might be what I am looking for. I need a few people to help me make sure that it will be good for my Beyerdynamic T5ps. I also bought a pair of FA-011s, but the synergy is more important with T5ps for the time being.

How do you think Beyers pair up with the HA-160?

I am also thinking about getting a DAC to pair with the HA-160 and searching for information I stumbled upon two options:

BA HA-160 + Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or BA HA-160D with its integrated Pre-amp and DAC.

Which option do you think sounds better? I checked the prices and it seems that buying HA-160 + DAC Magic will save me around $150 comparing it to HA-160D, but oes not give me the comfort of use with just one device.

TIA, 
Szadzik

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 45
I have been researching the subject and it seems that in similar price bracket I could get a Meier Audio StageDAC + Concerto or Symphony as a all-in-one product.

Does anyone have any experience and can help me with these choices?

EDIT:

To clearly present what option I am facing:

Symphony
or
Concerto + StageDAC
or
HA-160D
or
Concerto +  Good DAC around 500Euros
or
HA-160 + StageDAC
or
HA-160 +  Good DAC around 500Euros

My overall budget is 1000 up to 1100 Euros.

Symphony, StateDAC and Concerto are no longer available.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 45

Quote:
The Meier stuff has excellent synergy with Beyers, so that should be a homerun.  The Burson 160D would be sonically a step up I would think based on Srajans 6Moons review of them both.  Plus like you mentioned, you get to skip the interconnect part of a rig with the Burson 160D saving you any sonic degradation that may introduce.

I really was hoping to get something from Jan, but knowing myself I wlil not be able to wait for 3-4 months for a new product to be released. I could try the FS forum though.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 45

Quote:
If you find the Meier Opera for sale, it's a fantastically refined sounding amp.  Those go for around $4-500.00, leaving you $500.00 or so to spend on a great DAC.  Just don't forget a quality interconnect if you go for separates.

I read a fw reviews of Opera and was not impressed. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 45

Quote:
With the reviews or the Opera? 
wink.gif

I have experience with the Opera and really liked it, especially with Beyers and Audio Technicas.  With both headphones it's a grand, classy experience.

With Opera. I think I am looking for something more than Opera can offer.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 45
Considering Jan sells Beyer headphones on his site, I would imagine he thinks they are a good match. However, it seems both the Symphony and Concerto are sold out at the moment. I've seen a few of Meier's amp on the sale forum though.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 45

Quote:
Considering Jan sells Beyer headphones on his site, I would imagine he thinks they are a good match. However, it seems both the Symphony and Concerto are sold out at the moment. I've seen a few of Meier's amp on the sale forum though.

Yes, I even bought my Beyers from Jan (as a package with his Stepdance). I have been looking through threads in FS forums and there are a few ads, but usually outside of Europe and no one wants to ship to another continent because of weight. If I paid for the high weight shipping I would probably spend more than a new Burson HA-160D would cost me :frowning2:

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 45
Best of luck with it. Try not to overthink it when Jan released his new stuff in a few months
cool.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 45

Quote:

I hope this is a good decision, but I did think about what Jan might bring to the market soon and still have some doubts.

Are you going with the HA-160D? you wont be disappointed. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 45
I have some Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm and have done quite a bit of research, too. It seems that the Beyers, being high impedance, mate well with OTL type amplifiers. For an amp the Woo Audio WA3 gets great reviews with Beyers, and the Schiit Lyr seems to be alright. I'm in the same situation, using a PC as a source, most likely through USB, and a source that has gotten wonderful reviews is the HRT Music Streamer II+. It is a bit cheaper than the DACMagic, and for USB is said to surpass it in quality. I realise that you have already purchased items, but if they don't seem to work out, there are always other options!

I wish I had gotten to this thread sooner. :/

Either way, let me know how it is!

Cheers,
Dan

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 45
 I have the dt 990/600 and currently using the e7/e9 combo for it. I want to move the fiio set up next to my bed and run it thru my laptop and was thinking of upgrading to the Schiit Lyr and the Music Streamer II+ also. The only thing holding me back is that Schiit is supposed to have a dac avaiable this august with pre orders in june and don't know if the I exclusively want just usb, as I can also use optical on my macs. As I only use my computers as a source, the MSII+ seems like an ideal option. I'm am almost certain i will go with the Lyr, just not certain yet on a dac.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 45
Look into the Woo Audio 3, too. The Lyr seems amazing, but it is still new. The WA3 has been proven for a bit longer. I guess Asynchronus USB is superior to most forms of connection. That is what I have read, please correct me if I am wrong. I'm waiting until summer to get my stuff, I suggest you do, too. Your setup is pleasing, now, I bet, so what is a couple more months? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back