Amping for AKG Q701
Oct 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #286 of 508
Quote:

the way I can usually tell is because when I hook things up this way, my better quality lossless files will actually sound worse than my lower quality MP3 or below quality tracks. When I have a clean signal path from the source into the amp inputs, the lossless tracks clearly sound better than my lesser quality tracks. I'll get this ironed out, though, and report back. I do really like what the tubes did for the low end, though...very nice sounding. 

It's good news it's performing well at the low end. The high can be difficult to deal with. I've found a recording that can produce plenty of sibilance and I've been experimenting with different dampening materials to take that edge off. This approach is probably already well known, but I got some promising results using thin foam covering the center of the driver. A quick easy test is to find a good reference track, then just use different materials in the ear cups. Is this called foam rolling? lol.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #287 of 508
Quote:
It's good news it's performing well at the low end. The high can be difficult to deal with. I've found a recording that can produce plenty of sibilance and I've been experimenting with different dampening materials to take that edge off. This approach is probably already well known, but I got some promising results using thin foam covering the center of the driver. A quick easy test is to find a good reference track, then just use different materials in the ear cups. Is this called foam rolling? lol.

LOL, I think you've coined a new phrase! 

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #288 of 508
Ok, so I just burned in my new Q701s for about 300 hours and listened to them amped with the Fiio e11.  So far they sound pretty good but I'm assuming that upgrading to a desktop amp with a DAC might bring out a little more from these phones.  So far I've looked around and found both the 2011 Matrix M-stage amp with the DAC and the Matrix cube to be in my budget.  After doing some research, it seems that both have received favorable mention here on head-fi.  My question is, which of these two will give me the best upgrade in sound for the money.  It seems that the M-stage has a better amp section with a lower quality DAC for ~280 while the cube has a better DAC with a lower quality amp for about ~270.  I usually play music through my 2007 macbook pro (if that helps).  I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #289 of 508
M-Stage first, then upgrade to a better DAC later. 
evil_smiley.gif

The M-Stage has great synergy with K/Q701.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #290 of 508
Thanks Mad Max, looks like I'll go with the M-stage :).  Also, do you know if its worth getting the "Burr Brown OPA637AP" mod for an extra $30?  I don't plan on upgrading my amp anytime soon after the M-stage so would like to get the best possible bang for my buck.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #292 of 508
Quote:

I see your movie list in your sig. I've been meaning to watch It's Wonderful Life this week. Is it a tear jerker? Can't believe I still haven't seen that classic after all these years.

It's a Wonderful Life is great, but it's not in my sig lol

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #293 of 508
Quote:
Thanks Mad Max, looks like I'll go with the M-stage :).  Also, do you know if its worth getting the "Burr Brown OPA637AP" mod for an extra $30?  I don't plan on upgrading my amp anytime soon after the M-stage so would like to get the best possible bang for my buck.

I have never liked OPA627/637.  It's popular because, well, to others, it sounds good.  I recommend skipping out on it until you've obtained an upgrade DAC.
Or get this adapter and two OPA602BP samples.  Much better opamp than OPA627/637 and runs more stable in the M-Stage.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #295 of 508
So has any one actually tried the EF-5 with the Qs?  It should have more than enough power.  I guess the synergy would be the question.  

It's not a tube amp.  But the Qs sound really great on my balanced M^3.  

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #296 of 508
I may pick up a Q701 with my tax check in a month, if I do I plan to pick up the new Aune T1 (tube amp/dac). It's said to work well with the K601 already, so should work well with the Q701.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #297 of 508
I would suggest the 2012 M-stage with the HRT Music streamer 2. Great combination. Makes the Q701's come alive. I had the Audio-gd NFB12.1 before and though it sounded excellent with my HD650's but sounded a little to thin with the AKG's. Has anyone had any experience with the Aune T1. Looks interesting.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #300 of 508
Quote:
If I use a Xonar STX do I need an amp to pair with the q701? And if so which would you recommend in the price range of around $100 and no more than $200?

Do you already have the Xonar? Just give it a try and see. My guess is you won't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back