Amping for AKG Q701
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #196 of 508

Quote:
Yes... I meant sensitive as picky, sensitive to the change. Sorry Chris.

LOL!
No problem, I assumed you were talking about electrical sensitivity.  i.e. the Q701 are low sensitivity, need a bit more power.
Does this mean we are too sensitive?  LOL! 
wink_face.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #197 of 508
Thanks for the testing you've done. It really helps. I may give the E11 another try. It was a slightly poor match for my DJ100 and M50 at the time. Based on memory it seemed like the E11 was quite a warm sounding amp.

My Airhead drives it perfectly, but with stock cable the soundstage is kind of small and it's hard to stuff it in my pocket when in the house. It'd be nice to move around the house with the Q701 at 100%.

Sounds like your Q701 and impressions of it vs the K701/K702 are similar to mine. So far it seems like around 4 people now have found it slightly warmer and bassier than the old K702. I never hated the K702 (and still prefer it to HD-600/DT-880) but it was a bit thin in the mids and a bit lifeless at times. I would have said the K702 was VERY slightly warm, but only when compared to say the DT-880.

I don't know how the DT-880 seemed to have more bass than the K702, but yet was more cold and analytical to my ears. I actually don't even remember if the DT-880 had much mid-bass. Don't think so. I would say DT-880 was good at making my collection sound like garbage. Almost too unforgiving for me.

I never liked the K702 with the Asgard (haven't tried Q701 with it). I remember the K601 was unbearably bad with the Asgard. It seems to make the K601 and Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 more fatiguing than they should be. Maybe the Asgard has an upper mids peak? Others say it has recessed mids, which is weird. Best headphone in the world for the Asgard seems to be the HD-600 and D2000. Maybe you'll agree..

Would you say it's possible for some who disliked the K702 with the Asgard to like it with the Lyr? The Matrix M-Stage and Schiit Lyr have been on my radar for awhile. Right now though my Headroom Micro Amp seems like a perfect match for the Q701. I imagine Micro Amp and M-Stage sound similar.

Quote:

Heya,

Was just testing the Q701 on an E11 (set on high-power output), compared to an Asgard & Lyr. The E11 actually powers it fine. For my listening level, I rotated to notch 5 on the E11, so it still has a lot of overhead even. And the bass lover in me has the EQ set to 2. The sound stage was wide open, was just enjoying some Rostropovich, Robyn, Louise Rogers and Ayreon and it sounded pretty much what it sounds like when I'm on my Asgard (though the Asgard is a touch brighter in signature I find). The Q701 seems relatively easy to drive. I definitely like it better than my K701. The K701 was boring and lifeless to me, but the warmth of the Q701 makes it fantastic. The Q701 drops low too, so it satisfies the bassy needs I have. And it responds well to minor equalization for taste. Great headphone.

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #198 of 508
I've had the Q701s burning in for the last 3 days or so using my computer's Asus Xonar DG sound card.  I have listened to it for a little while using the different ohm rating of the DG.  If I set it for 64ohm or higher, the highest setting, I get the most volume but it is distorted.  If I set it for 32-64ohms it sounds decent but I do notice some very slight distortion every once and awhile in the highest frequencies.  Also, with it set at 32-64 ohms I need to turn the volume to max for it to be loud enough.  It is a decent listening level but not extremely loud.  At the 64 ohm and higher setting the volume is higher but the distortion is extremely bad. 

I haven't tried them on my Onkyo 886 preamp headphone output but I will soon. 

Needless to say I can already tell I am going to need an amp to drive these properly.  I am still heavily leaning towards the Little Dot I+.  Can you guys help push me over the edge and just tell me to order it?!?!?!?  lol

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #199 of 508
I've had the Q701s burning in for the last 3 days or so using my computer's Asus Xonar DG sound card.  I have listened to it for a little while using the different ohm rating of the DG.  If I set it for 64ohm or higher, the highest setting, I get the most volume but it is distorted.  If I set it for 32-64ohms it sounds decent but I do notice some very slight distortion every once and awhile in the highest frequencies.  Also, with it set at 32-64 ohms I need to turn the volume to max for it to be loud enough.  It is a decent listening level but not extremely loud.  At the 64 ohm and higher setting the volume is higher but the distortion is extremely bad. 

I haven't tried them on my Onkyo 886 preamp headphone output but I will soon. 

Needless to say I can already tell I am going to need an amp to drive these properly.  I am still heavily leaning towards the Little Dot I+.  Can you guys help push me over the edge and just tell me to order it?!?!?!?  lol

It's solid as hell, and nice tubes are cheap. There's really no reason not to buy it. I keep my modded T50RPs hooked up to mine permanently now, I love the way they sound together. The sound is almost narcotic. :cool:

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #200 of 508
For $100 ish, it's hard to beat. Likewise the Hifiman EF2a, which gets you a decent USB dac in the process. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #201 of 508
A LD i+ just popped up on ebay for @20 less than a new one so I grabbed it.  I will post some results once I receive it and test it out.  It is used but has only been used a few times according to the seller.  Hopefully it works well with the Q701s.  I will use it with the stock tubes for awhile then maybe true some different tubes down the road. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #202 of 508
A LD i+ just popped up on ebay for @20 less than a new one so I grabbed it.  I will post some results once I receive it and test it out.  It is used but has only been used a few times according to the seller.  Hopefully it works well with the Q701s.  I will use it with the stock tubes for awhile then maybe true some different tubes down the road. 

It will drive the Q701s just fine.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #203 of 508
Any recommendations on what tubes I should try that will match well with the Q701's or should I just stick with the stock tubes? 

What about the "OP" amplifier.  I have read some threads about changing that as well.  Is that something I should even bother looking into?  I still don't fully understand what a "OP" is.  LOL.  This is my first tube amp of any kind. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #204 of 508
Op amps are the circuit chips inside. Some of them can be replaced or supplemented. 

Frankly, to my ears, "op amp" rolling doesn't change sound quality as much as tube rolling seems to (and is more of a pain in the ass).

I would stick with the stock tubes for a little while, before changing them. If for no other reason than you get a point of comparison for when you do change. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #205 of 508

Quote:
Frankly, to my ears, "op amp" rolling doesn't change sound quality as much as tube rolling seems to (and is more of a pain in the ass).

If you're good at DIY op amp rolling is not hard. Maybe it takes a few minutes more than tube rolling. 

It also depends on the person's ears. For some people there's a minimal change and for others there are big improvements. An important factor is your amp/dac design.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #206 of 508

Quote:
Any recommendations on what tubes I should try that will match well with the Q701's or should I just stick with the stock tubes? 

What about the "OP" amplifier.  I have read some threads about changing that as well.  Is that something I should even bother looking into?  I still don't fully understand what a "OP" is.  LOL.  This is my first tube amp of any kind. 

Op Amp is short for Operational Amplifier.

More information is available in the Head Fi "Glossary of Terms":
look up "All Discrete" and "Op Amp"
http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

If you do want to try some Op Amp rolling, insure that the Op Amps are pin for pin compatible with the original Op Amp.
Op Amp rolling will not radically change the sound of your headphone amp.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #207 of 508
I was on another thread "The AKG Appreciation and Information Thread" asking about headphone amplifier for a the Q701.
A guy on the other thread recommended an Indeed G3 tube hybrid, but the person I'm getting the headphones from thinks that tubes do not work well with the Q701s.
Does hybrid make a difference?
Is the Indeed G3 any good?
(I guess it's from China).

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #208 of 508
I was on another thread "The AKG Appreciation and Information Thread" asking about headphone amplifier for a the Q701.
A guy on the other thread recommended an Indeed G3 tube hybrid, but the person I'm getting the headphones from thinks that tubes do not work well with the Q701s.
Does hybrid make a difference?
Is the Indeed G3 any good?
(I guess it's from China).

Yes, the Q701 sounds excellent with tubes, not sure where that guy gets his info from.

I know for a fact the Q701 sounds great with my LD I+ ($140), EF-5 ($400), and SLI-80 (a lot more than that). I think the Little Dot is the bang for buck champ in the sub-$300 hybrid category. Not seen anything that really beats it in that price range. However, I've not listened to the Indeed G3, but it looks like one of the Chinese kit tube amps similar to the Muse. Personally, I think you may be disappointed with one of those.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #209 of 508

Quote:
Thanks for the testing you've done. It really helps. I may give the E11 another try. It was a slightly poor match for my DJ100 and M50 at the time. Based on memory it seemed like the E11 was quite a warm sounding amp.

My Airhead drives it perfectly, but with stock cable the soundstage is kind of small and it's hard to stuff it in my pocket when in the house. It'd be nice to move around the house with the Q701 at 100%.

Sounds like your Q701 and impressions of it vs the K701/K702 are similar to mine. So far it seems like around 4 people now have found it slightly warmer and bassier than the old K702. I never hated the K702 (and still prefer it to HD-600/DT-880) but it was a bit thin in the mids and a bit lifeless at times. I would have said the K702 was VERY slightly warm, but only when compared to say the DT-880.

I don't know how the DT-880 seemed to have more bass than the K702, but yet was more cold and analytical to my ears. I actually don't even remember if the DT-880 had much mid-bass. Don't think so. I would say DT-880 was good at making my collection sound like garbage. Almost too unforgiving for me.

I never liked the K702 with the Asgard (haven't tried Q701 with it). I remember the K601 was unbearably bad with the Asgard. It seems to make the K601 and Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 more fatiguing than they should be. Maybe the Asgard has an upper mids peak? Others say it has recessed mids, which is weird. Best headphone in the world for the Asgard seems to be the HD-600 and D2000. Maybe you'll agree..

Would you say it's possible for some who disliked the K702 with the Asgard to like it with the Lyr? The Matrix M-Stage and Schiit Lyr have been on my radar for awhile. Right now though my Headroom Micro Amp seems like a perfect match for the Q701. I imagine Micro Amp and M-Stage sound similar.

If you go with the M-Stage, upgrade the stock opamp to ADA4610-2B; this one's blowing me away with my K701 and M-Stage.

DT880 has more bass extension and impact, along with boosted treble while K/Q701 boasts more midrange and soundstage.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #210 of 508

Quote:
Yes, the Q701 sounds excellent with tubes, not sure where that guy gets his info from.
I know for a fact the Q701 sounds great with my LD I+ ($140), EF-5 ($400), and SLI-80 (a lot more than that). I think the Little Dot is the bang for buck champ in the sub-$300 hybrid category. Not seen anything that really beats it in that price range. However, I've not listened to the Indeed G3, but it looks like one of the Chinese kit tube amps similar to the Muse. Personally, I think you may be disappointed with one of those.

The info I got was from a friend who was told by someone else, that headphones like the Q701 like lots of current (solid state), but tubes are good at voltage?
I found some of those LD I+ tubes on eBay (are they hybrids?),
I'm holding off just to see what other ideas come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back