Amping for AKG Q701 Quincy Jones (PC)
Jul 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Apata10

New Head-Fier
I've recently become intimately interested in the Q701s and have found that an amp is almost essential in order to do them proper justice.

I was looking at the "NuForce Icon-2", to which is slightly out of my price range for an amp.

Would this amp be fully complementing to the Q701s?
And would I be able to connect said amp it to my PC, as my motherboard has Optical (S/PDIF), USB, and TRS jacks (pink, green, blue, green black orange)?
Picture of back of amp: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/icon2/gallery/icon4.jpg

I was also leaning towards the "NuForce Icon uDAC2" or "NuForce uDAC-2SE" as they are considerably cheaper. However, I fear that by doing this - I would consequently be hurting the overall sound capabilities of my headphone purchase.

My overall deciding factor is that I want to purchase an amp that complements the Q701 headphones to the fullest of its capabilities, within a reasonable price range.
If you have an alternate amp to suggest, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 5
There are several threads where all they have discussed is amplifiers for the Q701.
Do a search for "Amping the Q701" on Head-Fi.
Easier just to read those then wait for people to post answers to this thread.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Try the "Q701 appreciation thread", it's 97 pages long, with 1446 entries.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 5
you should be fine with that. they're hard to drive, but nothing any decent amp can't handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back