Amp3
Aug 22, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #886 of 2,090
Damn, I just had to comment on how unbelievable the Amp3 sounds right now with these tape-modded Grados, nothing I own at this point can compete. Not sure why. I mean, these are hardly high-end Grados, but they have been recabled once and are 8-9 years old, so plenty of break in. I am hoping that once I get the impedance adapter I ordered, the UM3X will compare (no hiss). Or, if that future firmware can dismiss the hiss, that could work too.

But geez, I had no idea portable music, especially 192k tracks, could sound this fantastic. There is absolutely nothing in my possessions - Fuze playing Flac, for example - that compares to this combo. I am going to try a Fuze LOD and the Amp3 as an amp with a new mini-to-mini cable I have for review, but I mean, this is just an amazing listening experience. I only hope other Amp3 owners can get this sound with their various pieces of gear. I know several have, but I had to say it again. Sorry to be redundant.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #887 of 2,090
I know what you mean. Every time I listen, I still find it hard to belive what I hear.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #888 of 2,090
And I have the Ksc35s burning in too. Do you recommend modding them at all? I have PX200 pads on the 75s, for example. What about the Kramer mod, with drilling holes, etc? Or are yours just well-burned in? I don't feel like messing with them, except maybe the pads. Thanks, because on first listen, very nice. But still not better than the 80s. I can't get over that those phones work so well. Mystified.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #889 of 2,090
tstarn06: What model Grado is it that you are finding to pair so well with the AMP3? Since they were recabled, what cable is on them? What pads are you using with them?

Today, I've had a little time to try some full-sized headphones with the AMP3. The one, so far, that I hear to pair best with the AMP3 is a pair of Beyerdynamic DT531 (out of production) that I purchased from Iron Dreamer back in December of 2007. I had wanted to hear their "fun", "groovalizer" sound since pbirkett had caused the DT531 to become FOTM for a few months. It was unfortunate that, at the same time, I had also purchased the HD650 and an ALO-modded SR225 - so, alas, the DT531 got very little use.

When I tried my HF-2 with the AMP3 - I did not think the pairing was very good - too much bass with the flats, too much treble with (even squashed) bowls or bagels. The pairing was better with a pair of ALO-780, but I enjoy the sound better using KSC35 with the AMP3. The ALO-780 sounded too smooth and refined - not the more immediately present, unprocessed sound that I prefer when using the AMP3.

But, when I tried the DT531, it was the full-sized headphone equivalent sound of the KSC35 with the AMP3 - same spectral balance, spatial presentation, timbres, textures, even depth and layering. The main difference is in the airiness and chromatic saturation of notes. The DT531 is less airy, so the notes can hit harder, and the saturation of tones is greater, so the experience of their tones can be more intense. Not that any tone sounds "saturated", to where the sound has maxed out the phones ability to present it, but the depth and intensity of sounds can presented as deeper and more peaked. So, when I prefer a more fluffy-not-stuffy "Three Muskateers" presentation, I use the KSC35. When I'm looking for a full-on, richer, more intense "Milky Way" experience, it's the DT531 for me with the AMP3.

It's a real shame that the DT531 is out of production, though.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #890 of 2,090
I am only using the SR-80s, with bowl pads modded via electrical tape (around the outer edge) for deeper bass extension. I got the 80s like 9 years ago from my wife, my first "real" pair of headphones to go with my recent Minidisc affinity (from portable CD players).

The recabling was really from Grado, replacing the original that went bad, so nothing exotic at all.

They just sound so right with the Amp3 (as a player, not an amp).

The Westone UM3X sound good, but not as dynamic, especially the mids/highs, and the 80 bass is very nice. Seems to be balanced, not the same as your HF-2 experience. I have not tried the modded soft pads (the ones that come with the SR-60s, I have those and quarter modded them).

I also like the 35s, but I want to burn them in a little, 2-3 days. I also moved them to the Parts Express headband, though I wish I could find a decent substitute to create a little more pressure and not feel so cheesy. Anyone had any ideas on the headband front for the 35s? I don't like the Sportapro look, or I would just pick up a pair of those for $20.

The amp3 really, for me, is not a one-size solution for phones. But I am getting an impedance adapter, so that could reduce some of the hiss I get with the Westones and other phones I have. For now, I am thrilled with the Grados and the Westones, almost as much, and the 35s.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #891 of 2,090
My ALO-modded SR225 are a much better match for the AMP3 than the HF-2. The spectral balance is just that, balanced, really nicely to my ear.

I'm loving the presentation of the layering of subtleties amidst the more mainstream-level sounds. The lows are full with weight, the mids lush, tuneful and real-sounding and the highs are crystal-clear, gorgeously illuminated with their airiness varying with the sound in a credibly-real way (giving very good aerial perspective on the depth of the source of the highs in the sonic space).

The cups were modded to be hand-turned becote hardwood. The cable is 18 AWG Jena Cryo Ultra Wire, and the pads are VWAP-modded (to be like Todd's Flats, including the slits) HD414 pads.

These work with the AMP3 so much better than the HF-2, to my ear.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #893 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I have the Ksc35s burning in too. Do you recommend modding them at all? I have PX200 pads on the 75s, for example. What about the Kramer mod, with drilling holes, etc? Or are yours just well-burned in? I don't feel like messing with them, except maybe the pads. Thanks, because on first listen, very nice. But still not better than the 80s. I can't get over that those phones work so well. Mystified.

I did nothing to them at all, except use them to listen to music with the AMP3. They sounded really right to me with the AMP3 from the first second, and only took a few hours of use for the sound to clear up and develop enough for me to just listen using them. Then, when the plastic clips started to bother my ears, I moved them to a parts-express headband. No tweaking needed, on my part.

What about you, HiFlight, is your KSC35 stock or is it modded?

And the sound using these ALO-modded SR225 with the AMP3 is really FINE. I'm listening to Vini Reilly (The Durutti Column) perform "My Irascible Friend" from the album, Sex and Death (Vini once said in an interview when asked about the title of this album, "all of my music is ultimately about sex and death"). It's the most crystalline-sounding and soothing guitar string plucking, with recordings of thunder claps in the distance and birds tweeting very sweetly and cheerfully woven in. The thunder and birds sound so very live and present, and the guitar work is produced to sound more reverbed and euphonic - less real and more stylized. It's sounding as fine, as engaging, involving and soothing as I've ever heard it using the AMP3 and these modded SR225.

There's another Vini Reilly track that I use to hear the quality of sound using gear - it's the track "Agnus Dei" from the album Keep Breathing. Against a background of Vini's passionate whole-handed "pluck strumming", there's a gorgeous, and hopefully sad female vocal slowly almost-chanting in latin phrases about "Agnus Dei". It's easy for the vocal to get a little buried beneath Vini's passionate guitar work. On a good system, the vocals are not only well-separated and easily heard, but all of the intimacy and understated passion is heard in the voice as well. Using the AMP3 with the stock buds, KSC35, and now the modded SR225, this track is a well-presented sonically, gorgeous and moving as I've ever heard it.

I don't yet know what to make of how amazingly good music sounds using the AMP3 - so modestly priced a unit compared with gear costing, literally, 10 - 20 times as much (source + IC + amp). I'm going to need to spend quite a bit more time with the AMP3 - and compare the sound from rigs including it to the sound from rigs using much pricier equipment - before I'm going to convince myself that my (so great) enjoyment of listening to music using the AMP3 is actually the result of its real sonic quality (rather than a DSP trick which pushes my ear's and brain's pleasure buttons - and may wear thin over a longer haul). I'm, personally, rooting for hisoundaudio as an innovator, making real discoveries in how to reproduce great sounding music for much less. Until I hear enough to convince myself one way or the other, I guess I'm just going to have to do LOTS and LOTS of listening using the AMP3 that's as high quality-sounding to my ear and as overall enjoyable to me as any I've ever done on gear that I own costing 10 - 20 times as much. I know, it's dirty, thankless work - but it's GOTTA be done.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #895 of 2,090
Well, I hope you like the Grados Ulsanman. I know I do, but when it's always a risk that others will hear the same SQ. But by all means, if you end up with the bowl pads, try the simple tape mod too, after they are burned in. It really gives the bass a nice boost, without distortion, and for about 2 cents, literally.

Thanks sbulack, I am out looking for Vini Reilly music.

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #896 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not thankless , we all love to hear comments on how others are enjoying their AMPs , thank you I'm now looking for Grados!! Will this ever end , I hope not!!

Thank you, ulsanman, for your words of encouragement. In truth, I regard listening and sharing what I hear to be neither dirty nor thankless. That was simply a clumsily-executed instance of "humorous" sarcasm.

Seeing that you've got an AMP3 and tstarn06 is reporting such a good pairing between the SR80 and the AMP3, that would likely be a good place for you to start the joys of Grado-ownership. I started with the SR60. When I moved up to the SR225 (stock), my jaw-dropped and my sights raised to a new level of possibilities of what headphone audio could be. When I plunked down $200 for the SR225, though, I already knew that I loved the Grado sound from my year with the SR60. I know from experience that the SR60 does not scale much with an amp. I've read that the SR80 scales more with an amp, and it does not cost much more than an SR60. So, with an amp already in your possession, the SR80 looks like a good place in the Grado family line-up for you to start, as long as you were of such a mind to so start.

I'm still sitting here with my SR225 plugged into the AMP3 - now I'm rocking with The Bangles - "A Hazy Shade of Winter". This is one of their more lyrical numbers - and it is portrayed by this gear as both beautifully and touchingly lyrical, as well as air-guitar-worthy ROCKing.

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #897 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks sbulack, I am out looking for Vini Reilly music.

Vini released his now classic albums using the project name, "The Durutti Column". He was part of the Madchester Scene. I'm not sure what you'd come up with if you did an Artist Name search for Vini Reilly. Vini did get his own name on one album cover released by "The Durutti Column". The name of the album was, "Vini Reilly". Head-Fi's music forum is always a great place to get album recommendations for an artist of interest.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #899 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sbulack, DT531 are open phones, right?

Right. On the box for the DT531, Beyerdynamic describes their operating principle as "open".

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #900 of 2,090
My KSC-35s are stock except for the Parts Express headband and Sennheiser foam pads. I have also had them for a number of years, and they have lots of hours listening time.

I also have an old set of vintage Denon DH-A6 orthodynamics that sound better with my AMP3 than they do with any of my other players or amps. They tend towards being overly bright with my other sources, but have a very open presentation with very nice bass impact with the AMP3. Highs are detailed but not overly bright. Still not as good as my KSC-35s or Sony F1. I need to do more comparisons with my IEMs, as I haven't listened to them very much lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back