Amp with built-in DAC means no IC, which means...?
Jun 22, 2008 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
So, this is mostly applicable to all those fancy new portable amps with DAC options. Since all the electronics are on the same board, that means no IC. Does this not mean we have a purer representation of the DAC?

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 10
Hrm... for anyone who can shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

I think the pro for integrated amps is related to the absence of an extra pair of IC as well (cleaner signal?), con being less versatility. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, this is mostly applicable to all those fancy new portable amps with DAC options. Since all the electronics are on the same board, that means no IC. Does this not mean we have a purer representation of the DAC?

Are you being serious?

(and yes, I'm honestly asking)

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't follow the question.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 10
Well the IC in that amp would be the copper traces in the PCB. But you would have those in a standalone amp anyway, so you are always going through copper traces.

It means one or two less solder connections.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 10
The two cables would be functionally the same.

A DAC/amp would be functionally the same as separates, all else equal. What's really gonna make the difference is the actual DAC and amp in question.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 10
I would agree with the point that one less IC would be better on the general KISS principle that less is more. In other words at some point you may just add distortion with more processing.

However DAC's can generate a lot of electrical noise. My X24K notably increases FM radio reception when it is on. By keeping it separate from other components you may lose some noise in the rest of the system.

A lot will depend on how the units are implemented.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 10
The IC would be used between the transport and the DAC. Instead of between the DAC and the amplifier.
I am not missing out of something though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back