Amp upgrade
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dave01236

Head-Fier
It's been around a month that I use my hifiman HE1000 SE, I currently run them with Lyr 2 / Bifrost multibit. So far so good, I really do enjoy the sound. But I also know that these headphones scale pretty well, and that a new amp would help even more now that my headphones have finished their burn in. But it is really hard to know which amp would be the best. Mjolnir or Ragnarok, I really can't decide. Since I own the Lyr 2, which is a pretty good amp already and in my opinion it drives well my hifiman cans, it might be more worth it going for the Ragnarok since Mjolnir might only give what a 20% improvement?

So which amp between the two would be the best one to get? Price/performance ratio is really, really what I'd like to know.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 6
My layman's impression is that the "value" of the Rag isn't sound quality but flexibility to run speakers or headphones. If you're willing to spend Rag kind of money, I'd be looking at a high-end tube amp since the HE1000se is super efficient and doesn't crave power (unlike the HE-6). Maybe something from Woo Audio? You might post in the High End audio sub-forum to have better luck with people more familiar with $1k+ headphone amps.

Also, you might consider upgrading to a Gungnir MB or Yggdrasil V2 whenever Schiit releases their new USB implementation, hopefully Q1 2019. I'd definitely go Lyr3 + Yggy over a Rag + Mimby.

Edit: here's a similar thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cant-decide-between-schiit-ragnarok-mj2.879434/

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 6
For that price, I'd go with the HeadAmp GS-X Mini. It is a balanced Dynalo with its own PSU design that, like its big brother, should measure excellently (very low noise). The amp design is one of few truly "tried and true" ones in the headphone world, being one of the best measuring fully discrete headphone amp circuits there is. And tons of power, a gain switch, lots of functionality, and beautiful looks/craftsmanship.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 6
I agree with this!

For that price, I'd go with the HeadAmp GS-X Mini. It is a balanced Dynalo with its own PSU design that, like its big brother, should measure excellently (very low noise). The amp design is one of few truly "tried and true" ones in the headphone world, being one of the best measuring fully discrete headphone amp circuits there is. And tons of power, a gain switch, lots of functionality, and beautiful looks/craftsmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back