amp to go with akg 702's
Jun 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gabbathebutt

New Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first post here so salutations. Anyways this summer I am planning on getting some cans and an amp. Next year I will probably being doing school in South Korea. (I am aware of the different voltage used there) So I wanted a system I could take and headphones seem to be the answer. My older brother has some akg 702's and I like them a lot. He also has a canamp however I am not so decided on this product as of yet.
I have been looking at a few different amps.
-Heed can amp
-Gold point Headphone pro
-K.I.C.A.S. Caliente
-Musical Fidelity X-Can v3

I am going to say $550 tops as for how much money I could spend. So if you guys have any expierence with these amps or these amps and the 702's together let me know. My source will be a laptop and my dac will be the tc electronics konnect 6.
thanks guys peace,
matt

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 17
Hey, I had the same question about two weeks ago. I'm using the Audio GD C-2, and I'm very happy with it. If you're using a laptop, you may need a DAC, but I'm not entirely sure on that. K702's are a great pair of cans, as I'm quickly learning.

The C-2C is also a good choice.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 17
I've got a J. Sound Lab Headphone running my K702's right now. Its proving to be a great combo.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 17
Solo SRG sounds pretty good.
Woo 6se even better
k701smile.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Well I did a little research into the headphone amps suggested and...
the Burson audio amp, the solo SRG, Woo 6se, and the earmax seem to be over my price range.(although those all do like very nice amps) The J. Sound lab does look quite intriguing, but I cannot find it sold anywhere online so maybe if you could help me find a place that sells them. So I guess I will add the J. sound lab and the gd c-2c to my list of amps to consider getting. thanks,
matt

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 17
For the AKG 70x the Millet SSH Tube is damn good for under $150. The Little Dot MKII I really liked. The Maverick M Stage is impressive for the money. The Headroom Micro Amp is terrific. The Gilmore Lite+DPS is amazing for well under under $1k. It's the best amp I've heard to date.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Well I did a little research into the headphone amps suggested and...
the Burson audio amp, the solo SRG, Woo 6se, and the earmax seem to be over my price range.(although those all do like very nice amps) The J. Sound lab does look quite intriguing, but I cannot find it sold anywhere online so maybe if you could help me find a place that sells them. So I guess I will add the J. sound lab and the gd c-2c to my list of amps to consider getting. thanks,
matt

I got my J sound lab through eBay HERE and here is their website is HERE. You can probably order one directly form them. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 17
ok thanks the ebay page helps.
I am really liking the looks of this J sound lab. A few queries though. I can have it plugged straight into my dac correct or does it need a pre amp or something (I'm kinda a new at the head-fi thingy here) Does it have some sort of case to protect the tubes in travel? How does it compare to the can amp?
peace,
matt

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
ok thanks the ebay page helps.
I am really liking the looks of this J sound lab. A few queries though. I can have it plugged straight into my dac correct or does it need a pre amp or something (I'm kinda a new at the head-fi thingy here) Does it have some sort of case to protect the tubes in travel? How does it compare to the can amp?
peace,
matt

Yes, you can use it plugged strait into you DAC. That would be the optimal setup.
It doesn't have a case for travel. It is packed up nicely when shipped to you but there is no carrying pouch, if thats what you mean. 
As for a comparison to the heed, I have yet to hear the Canamp so i cant comment. I can however describe the J Sound Lab as providing warmth and bass without sacrificing detail and transparency. I wrote a full review on it HERE.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back