Amp synergy with Grado HF-2?
Mar 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gknix

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently torn between several amps, and I was hoping you guys could help me out!

I currently have a HF-2 (in the process of being Vixened), and already have a set up of uDac + Little Dot I+, but I was hoping for an upgrade (if it's noticeably better?). I pmed several people that I have high regards for, but I wanted a more broad bass opinion so I can fully gather my thoughts and impressions. My budget is MAX $400 (though I prefer to pay less)

Upon reading several reviews, I am deciding in several options.
1) No upgrade, because its not worth it?
2)KICAS
3)KICAS Caliente (afraid that it may become overly bassy that would cover up other tones)
4)Head Direct EF-5
5)Head Direct EF-1
6)Audio gd C2-C

I really appreciate it for those who contribute

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Well, judging by the impedance of the headphones and how easy they are to drive (the LD I+ can put out enough gain through an HF2 to drill through a wall), an upgrade to the DAC would probably be a better upgrade. More than anything, you're just going to be changing sound signature moving to a different amp, from hybrid to SS or all-tube or something. The uDAC is a great bargain, but it's still only a $100 DAC.

Going by my little experience, at least.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 16
Either a Gilmore Lite (stationary) or Pico (portable). The latter has been raved about when used with the HF-2. I loved both with my HF-2's, when I had them.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Some amps to consider are:

1. Dr. Lloyd's Mapletree
2. Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3 specially w/ the PinkFloyd Mods
3. Graham Slee Solo SRGII with PSU1 power supply.
4. Head Direct EF2

Good luck.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Either solid state or a tube amp with output transformers (Zana Deux excepted thanks to the wonderful 6C33C).

Some cheap OTL tube amps claim to drive low impedance headphones. They do this by cranking up the negative feedback ("NFB").

NFB takes the output of the amp, inverts it, then feeds it back into the beginning of the circuit to cancel out non-linear response.

Sounds good in theory, but the return of the output would have to be infinitely fast to work perfectly. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. There's always a delay with the NFB coming back into the circuit. The more NFB you add, thw more out-of-phase the amp becomes and the more it strangles the sound.

This point is lost on those who think "OMG tubez!" and "I can tube roll!" No matter what sooperspecial NOS tubes you roll in, the amp will still choke itself with heavy-handed NFB. Also, as unsexy as transformers are, el discounto third world who knows who made 'em power transformers are *not* something you want around the house. Most of you would freak about leaving plugged in a $2.99 blender. This is the same sort of thing, it just has glowing tubes.

Unless you're willing to buy a good tube amp, stick with solid state. It really does sound good and solid state operates (usually) under 24V, so youmcan get away with inexpensive power supplies that pose little hazard.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 16
I never felt that the Caliente turned the HF-2 into a bass monster. Comparing it from the headphone out of my AMP3, it just adds a touch of warmth to the mid-bass. Surprisingly I felt that the HF-2 synergized well with my Valab + Caliente combo.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 16
MAD Ear+ HD. Only because I have it and love it and also other Head-Fi members recommend it all the time to Grado users
tongue.gif

Others seem to recommend the Gilmore lite and EC/SS too. Personally, I prefer the warm, lush sound of tubes with my Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back