Amp suggestions for HD600 under $500
Jun 10, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Headfi!

I'm currently ampless, since I've sold off my pico. Previous experience include a Headroom MicroDac plus Micro Amp (2006 DM), RSA SR-71 and most recently the Headamp Pico.

I've heard some pretty phenomenal setups with my HD600 at Chicago meets including the RSA B52, the Zana Deux, the and the Singlepower Extreme. These would be some of the amps that I have really enjoyed and hope to save up for one day. Currently though, I am simply running my Senns out of the headphone out of a Apogee Duet. So, can I find a decent home amp for under $500 (either solid state or tube)... or should I keep saving (may take a while though)? Haven't owned a tube amp but really enjoyed the tube sound when I demoed the TTVJ Millet Hybrid Tube amp. Would like to get a larger soundstage and keep details without losing musicality.

Some possible choices I'm considering:

Little Dot MKIV
CKKIII
M^3
K.I.C.A.S Caliente
Darkvoice 332
Gilmore Lite

Would love to hear your experiences and some thoughts. Appreciate it!

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 18
I haven't heard it myself, but researching the HD600's I have read over and over how great the PPA sounds with them. Every thread I have seen on Head-Fi asking abut the HD600's has a post suggesting this pairing, so I assume there is something to it. Not sure about the soundstage, but from what Ive read the sound is quite detailed while still being musical at the same time. And you can roll the op amps as well to tailor the sound to your liking. I hope to try this combo out myself very soon.

Here is a link that compares many of the options you listed above:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/m-3...-hd600-306737/

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 18
I recommend the RSA Emmeline XP-7 with AD797 op amps rolled in. It is in your price range using the on-board 9v battery power, and you can add the outboard DPS later for improved sound.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudshark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the RSA Emmeline XP-7 with AD797 op amps rolled in. It is in your price range using the on-board 9v battery power, and you can add the outboard DPS later for improved sound.

I do really like the RSA house sound. How do you add the Outboard DPS and how much is that? Would it be more worth it to get the HR-2 instead?

Keep the recommendations coming. I know there are other threads, but I like reading about people's experiences and also would like to hear about music preferences.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 18
I haven't heard anything else on the list, but I can say that the M^3/HD600 combination is a winner. I've tried the HD600 on some other amps, but I can't say you'd be missing out on anything significant if you stuck with the M^3.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 18
I like the M^3 with my HD600/Cardas a lot. It's not as mind-blowing as the Zana Deux or Singlepower Extreme, but it's very enjoyable. You can also alter the sound to some extent by changing the op-amps. You also have the option of a bass boost knob or gain switch so you can use it with different types of headphones.

If you can find a builder to make you a nice M^3 with a Sigma11 power supply, I think you'd be very happy. This should not be more than $500.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do really like the RSA house sound. How do you add the Outboard DPS and how much is that? Would it be more worth it to get the HR-2 instead?

Keep the recommendations coming. I know there are other threads, but I like reading about people's experiences and also would like to hear about music preferences.

The outboard DPS for the XP-7 sells for $225, I believe. Check Ray's web site or TTVJ's site for details. It is easy to connect -- less than one minute and you're done. As for the HR-2, I have never heard it, but it is well above your $500 price target. My understanding is that the HR-2 comes with the AD797's already installed. I like to think of my XP-7 with the AD797's rolled in as a poor man's HR-2. The XP-7 also has the advantage of battery-powered portability if need be. Most importantly, the XP-7 (AD797) drives the Senn HD580's to incredible levels (esp. with the DPS installed), and I imagine it would do the same for the HD600's. Good luck with your decision.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm not quite sure why so many people insist on buying brighter or more neutral-ish amps for the HD600. I really enjoy them with some tube warmth. One thing I noticed with the Pico was that I felt like I was analyzing the music a tad more than simply "getting into it." Thus, I'm not sure if I am looking for a wire with gain sound. I am not against coloration, as long as its pleasant and doesn't mask details or soundstage.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 18
Now torn between...

Purity Audio KICAS Caliente
M^3 with or without Sigma 11

Or maybe I'll keep on saving. I really enjoyed my headphones straight out of the headphone jack on my Apogee Duet last night. Have to crank it a bit though.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 18
I haven't heard all the amps you're considering... but... I can assure you... that you will find none better in that price range, than the DV332 with the Senns.

It's simply a "no brainer."

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard all the amps you're considering... but... I can assure you... that you will find none better in that price range, than the DV332 with the Senns.

It's simply a "no brainer."

Would the iBasso boa be enough to drive a pair of HD600's. Thanks

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 18
I second the WA3 suggestion. Sounded real good with my Senn's when I had them. A used one an be found for around $300 - $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back