Amp suggestion for D2000
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FinalSight

New Head-Fier
I currently use an EMU 0404 USB DAC with the built in headphone amp for my Denon AH-D2000 headphones.  I'm looking to upgrade.  I'm in the process of ordering a new cable and connector for these headphones (I'm going with moon audio blue dragon + furutech FP704), as well as the tools necessary for the markl mod.  I'd love to throw a new amp into the mix as well.  After reading around, it seems that the built in headphone amplifier in the 0404 isn't very good, so I'd love to upgrade to a tube amp.

First question, is the Head-direct EF-1 Hybrid Headphone Amp still available?  While searching the topic, seems like this amp was the go-to choice, followed by the Little Dot 1+ hybrid.  The Little Dot can be easily found on eBay, but I can't find the EF-1 anywhere.

Second question, The EF-2 is readily available, is it just the same components as the EF-1 plus a DAC?  If so I suppose I can just get the EF-2 and ignore that feature, or is the DAC better than the 0404's as well?

I'm of course open to suggestions outside of the EF1/2 or LD, but those were the big two recommendations for low impedance headphones from what I saw.  Did I miss one?

You may notice I don't have anything really expensive, as I've been buying this audio equipment on a college budget.  The LD for $109 all the way up to the $169 EF-2 is in within my budget, but I really can't go much higher than that after the D2000 mods.  Speaking of which, if anyone has any info/suggestions for me on the re-cabling, I'd appreciate it.  All I know is that the stock cable sucks on the D2000, and I can actually afford some of the cable at moon audio.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 6
The D2000 cable kinda does suck, at least compared to the one in the D5000/D7000 which begs the question, if you are going to drop that much on a cable, why not just buy the D5000/D7000 and sell your D2000.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of which, if anyone has any info/suggestions for me on the re-cabling, I'd appreciate it.  All I know is that the stock cable sucks on the D2000, and I can actually afford some of the cable at moon audio.

According to the Lawton audio site, a cost-effective recable for the D2000 is the D5000/D7000 cable.  You might inquire what the cost of that cable would be.  Other than that, they claim nothing sounds better until you get to the (very pricey) Jena cable that they sell.  I've considered doing a recable on my D2000 myself but like you I'm unsure which direction to take.  If you go with the Blue Dragon upgrade do come back and let us know what differences you find.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, here's Fallen Angels recable guide: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/382965/denon-recable-guide-56k-friendly-thumbnails-but-large-photos

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
The D2000 cable kinda does suck, at least compared to the one in the D5000/D7000 which begs the question, if you are going to drop that much on a cable, why not just buy the D5000/D7000 and sell your D2000.

The Lawton audio site describes the D5000 as the same thing as a D2000, but with wooden ear cups and a better cable.  I'm going to take care of the crappy D2000 cable myself and do then do the rest of the markl mod to clean the sound up.  Eventually I'd really like to switch to the wooden cups that they sell on that website.  That would mean I'm planning on replacing everything that makes the D2000 worse than the D5000, so there's no point in upgrading.  Even if I had the D5000, I'd like the wooden cups off of Lawton audio since they're so much nicer looking.  I'm just saving myself money in the end.  The wooden ear cups are going to be way down the line though, can't afford to drop over 200 dollars into them at the moment.

Thanks for the link to the re-cable guide lbj.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back