Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #3,241 of 9,207

Quote:

I also believe that solid-state is the way to go for the LCD2. I had compared the EHHA with the Beta22 and in terms of finesse and control, the latter is simply unsurpassable. 

One's perceptions are rather too subjective to be making too broad statements like that.  

Cause i would claim just the opposite, but knowing that people's opinions are just that, opinions. It doesn't take away from the fact that every component in your system is dependent on making that system work favorably or not. 

The issue it seems is that you guys are tooling about on the tube v/s SS amp question. Saying SS is better are full of crap and vice versa.

I've heard both tube, SS and hybrid amps work well with the same headphone in different systems.

Orthos demand a couple of things more from an amplifier than a normal voice coil driver headphone, which is slew rate and current. The latter being more prominent with enough headroom when required. 

If your tube amp has the ability to supply that current directly, great, if not you will be disappointed. 

So far, the best amps I have heard the LCD-2 with both use tubes.

One is the Balancing Act and the other is the Cavalli Liquid Fire. 

I would include the Cavalli Stacker 2 to that list (specifically the one that Ethan/equus has that i built), yet another tube hybrid amp.  

So go figure.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,242 of 9,207
Belly buttons...opinions...everybody has at least one of each.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,243 of 9,207
yeah..i didn't mention taht Kevin. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3,246 of 9,207
Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #3,247 of 9,207

Quote:
Maybe my choice of words wasn’t the best. I think we can all agree that tubes can tailer a sound - to a degree and can be used to mask upstream components that need a little added harmonic tone.

They can also be just as revealing and transparent as a ss amp. Mine will show the flaws that are upstream. Tubes can allow an individual to tailor there sound to mask flaws upstream if that is what they are looking for.

Quote:
I've heard both tube, SS and hybrid amps work well with the same headphone in different systems.

Orthos demand a couple of things more from an amplifier than a normal voice coil driver headphone, which is slew rate and current. The latter being more prominent with enough headroom when required. 

If your tube amp has the ability to supply that current directly, great, if not you will be disappointed. 

So far, the best amps I have heard the LCD-2 with both use tubes.

One is the Balancing Act and the other is the Cavalli Liquid Fire. 

I would include the Cavalli Stacker 2 to that list (specifically the one that Ethan/equus has that i built), yet another tube hybrid amp.

You probably could add the RWA Isabellina HPA which also uses tubes now and sounds great. A little colored but a good choice for an all in one solution.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,248 of 9,207
Quote:
Maybe my choice of words wasn’t the best. I think we can all agree that tubes can tailer a sound - to a degree and can be used to mask upstream components that need a little added harmonic tone.

Yeah, this time I agree with you, at times I could even call tube amps are 'generally' more colored, I know 'colored' is a BAD word in head-fi, I could possibly get murdered just for saying one 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3,249 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, this time I agree with you, at times I could even call tube amps are 'generally' more colored, I know 'colored' is a BAD word in head-fi, I could possibly get murdered just for saying one 
tongue_smile.gif

I think "generally" is a good way to put it.  There are few absolutes in this game.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #3,250 of 9,207

Quote:

what..are you meaning to suggest choice of devices in a solid state amp won't make a difference..that's just a completely false statement to make.  

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3,251 of 9,207

Quote:
what..are you meaning to suggest choice of devices in a solid state amp won't make a difference..that's just a completely false statement to make.  

Yes, any amp, tube based or SS based can be designed to be euphonic, lush, colored, or analytical, and sterile.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3,252 of 9,207

Quote:
Yes, any amp, tube based or SS based can be designed to be euphonic, lush, colored, or analytical, and sterile.

Agreed

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,254 of 9,207
The part selection can drive the outcome as well.  So in the case of tube amps, many owners will roll tubes to get the sound to the way they want it to sound.  For solid state amps that decision is ultimately made by the designer in his choice of one transistor over another, etc.  I personally think that the topology has the most impact on the sound characteristics.  Really though in all this I still think the greatest impact to the end sound comes from the transducers themselves.  A bright phone will pretty much always be a bright phone, etc.  Here I'll get shot by the folks who argue that source components come first.  So in the case of the LCD-2, I find that it is the type of phone that can sound quite good with a large variety of amplifiers, other phones like HD-800s and HE-6s don't sound as good on such a wide variety.  I personally keep a tube somewhere in my chain, out of personal preference.  

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #3,255 of 9,207

Well stated gentlemen...:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back