Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 24, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #7,501 of 9,207
Really I am so amazed how come a band like HURTS in their exile album record such bad quality, I really wish to hear from you guys about what you think about the song called also Exile which is their first song in that album how bad you think it is

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #7,502 of 9,207
  Really I am so amazed how come a band like HURTS in their exile album record such bad quality, I really wish to hear from you guys about what you think about the song called also Exile which is their first song in that album how bad you think it is

I will give it a try as soon as I arrive home today (9 hours from now).

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #7,503 of 9,207

Where are you listening to it and what part has really bad quality in the recording?  I'll give it a listen and see if I notice

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7,504 of 9,207
i recently bought a used well maintained audeze lcd2 rev2, and i noticed in the low end frequencies that sometimes the sound is like rumbles

How old is the lcd 2.2 ??
At worst with audeze I read somewhere in the forum that you could claim for warranty even not being the first buyer :cool:

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #7,505 of 9,207
Coldplay has some of the worst recording Ive ever heard, so im pretty sure the problem comes from the lack of detail, high distorsion of the recording and all the compressing crap.

Im listening to it right now from youtube and sounds like crap (no offense)

Try these for bass quality:

Thats clean electronic bass.

Some clean acoustics bass:

Electronic sub-bass (volume up please!)

I played these files on my audeze and no rattling, about the Coldplay song ( mqgic) the rattling occurs whem i increase the low wnd frequencies by 1 or 2 db in audiravna player but when flat no rattling. Sometimes i like to increase the low end frequencies so i get more punch in low end notes on my audeze and this is where sometimes in some songs i experience rattling bass.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #7,506 of 9,207
I played these files on my audeze and no rattling, about the Coldplay song ( mqgic) the rattling occurs whem i increase the low wnd frequencies by 1 or 2 db in audiravna player but when flat no rattling. Sometimes i like to increase the low end frequencies so i get more punch in low end notes on my audeze and this is where sometimes in some songs i experience rattling bass.

EQ'ing up tries to add info that isn't there, so it always sounds awful. Instead, EQ what you don't want down, and then just turn your volume up. That will help stop the rattle.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #7,507 of 9,207

What jodgey4 said, Software EQ should be for decrease, not increase.

Also, you are EQing a song that sounds awfuly compressed, thats not a good idea!

Anyway, if you dont get rattling with my files, dont worry at all.

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #7,509 of 9,207
I'm getting a lot of enjoyment just running my LCD2 rev2 from ODAC/O2 combo. I don't think one can get any better performance at this price point.
By the way I don't think I'll be missing the Modi/Magni much :wink:

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #7,510 of 9,207
 I recommend the concept 16.5 vintage circa 1978 monster receiver. This baby is big it weighs in at a back breaking 67 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just have to see the power supply on this puppy. I seriously doubt any normal headphone amp has one that is this beefy including ones like the cavallis. I very recently bought a recapped and serviced unit. After two weeks I am in heaven. The 16.5 drives the lcd2 v2s with an authority that I have never heard from the lcd2. I picked the receiver up for a grand and frankly I have to say that I feel that I stole it for that price. I doubt very seriously that I could find anything that can match this combination for that price at least not easily unless it was another restored 16.5. Check this one out on the internet and do a google search for a concept 16.5 receiver.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #7,511 of 9,207
Could someone perhaps help me?  I want to upgrade from my o2+ odac, but not sure what I want. Preferably around the ~500 $ range.
I've looked at the lyr, but not sure. Someone that has an o2+lyr tested them A/b and said he couldn't really tell any big differences apart, but not sure what else to look at really.

Sometimes I feel the o2 just doesn't have the umph at higher volumes to keep up.

I have LCD-2 w/ fazor, 70 ohms if that matters.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #7,512 of 9,207
The non-Fazor 2's are reccomended between 1-4W of clean power; the Fazor increases efficiency (though at 20 ohms higher impedance) by 3db/mW, so the new recommendation should be 0.5-2W of clean power... if that helps your decision any.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #7,513 of 9,207
  The non-Fazor 2's are reccomended between 1-4W of clean power; the Fazor increases efficiency (though at 20 ohms higher impedance) by 3db/mW, so the new recommendation should be 0.5-2W of clean power... if that helps your decision any.

It still says 1-4 w on the site , should I concern myself with that, or have they just not updated it?

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #7,514 of 9,207

It still says 1-4 w on the site , should I concern myself with that, or have they just not updated it?

I'm just assuming they haven't updated it, most power recommendations come from figuring out how much power it would take to reach a certain db peak level (120 db is the upper-end standard, some argue that 106 or something is the max you'd ever need for 99% of listening). Remember, you need 2x the power to get ~3db louder. So, the difference between a 2W max amp and 4W is just 3 db.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #7,515 of 9,207
  Could someone perhaps help me?  I want to upgrade from my o2+ odac, but not sure what I want. Preferably around the ~500 $ range.
  I have LCD-2 w/ fazor, 70 ohms if that matters.

I have the same model LCD-2 as you. I am using a Meier Corda Jazz. Look it up on the reviews section of this site and you'll find it's an superb amp - it sounds great and also has excellent meaurements. Cost was $415 as of a few months ago. It's comparable to the best amps at 3+ times its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back