Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #7,441 of 9,207
again thank you! I'm learning a lot from you. taking advantage of their knowledge, what is your opinion on LCD -2 + meier audio CONCERT? is a good combo? I'm asking this because I'm almost buying a CONCERT.

it will work.  don't worry it is a very good amp.  I think you mean Concerto though.  

May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #7,442 of 9,207
again thank you! I'm learning a lot from you. taking advantage of their knowledge, what is your opinion on LCD -2 + meier audio CONCERT? is a good combo? I'm asking this because I'm almost buying a CONCERT.

I don't know yet. I bought a Meier Jazz because his design, parts selection, build quality and reasonable pricing impressed me, and he actually responds to emails. Also as someone who knows a little about EE the articles on ground driving and crossfeed on his web site were some of the few I've read that actually make sense - quite a relief from the techno-babble most companies publish.

Haven't received the amp yet so I can't offer an opinion on sound quality with the LCD-2.

May 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #7,443 of 9,207
I've used the LCD-2 with Lyr, Asgard, Violectric V200, Pioneer Vintage Amp and Vali.  I got to say that the Vali so far is the best for my preferences.  It really makes the LCD-2 lively and detailed. 

May 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #7,444 of 9,207
The magic is with this model only. The similar EL-84 and larger EL-34 amps are MEH at best. The secret is in the tubes and extremely good iron. The output tube is similar to the US 6AQ5 with a different pinout. Triode strapped they are as nearly as linear as a DHT 45, and sound it too. The OPTs are special too. Being the amp is from China, I take it as a happy accident that works far above its other siblings.

Jones Bob, the Music Angel delivered a couple of days ago. Used the ebay trader from the link you posted.
With only about 7 hours on it at the mo, it sounds pleasant sometimes with hints of vividness on vocals and strummed guitars. The midrange isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm sure burn-in and a caps swap will fix that.

The thing I'm concerned with though is the lack of bass. It feels like I'm listening to mostly mid range and is quite fatiguing. With LCD2s, my Objective2 amp (which some think lacks weight) has more body and weight to the sound. Did burning in or changing caps affect the bass weight for you?

May 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #7,445 of 9,207
  I've used the LCD-2 with Lyr, Asgard, Violectric V200, Pioneer Vintage Amp and Vali.  I got to say that the Vali so far is the best for my preferences.  It really makes the LCD-2 lively and detailed. 

I like it when people list all amps they've heard and say why one was preferred. I think it'd be really useful if more people did that.
I'll go too:

Little Dot i+, Little Dot mkiii, O2, V200, RWA Corvina (single ended), Soloist.

RWA Corvina because you could listen for hours with no fatigue. Also had the most refined treble and prettiest midrange.

May 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #7,446 of 9,207
Now when my Meier Corda Jazz arrives - any day now - I'll crawl into my hidey hole with the LCD-2 and a thousand or so CDs and come out a day later with a review.
bigsmile_face.gif

The postman brought my Corda Jazz today. I took a brief break from sonic heaven to add my thoughts to the Corda Jazz reviews already on this site. I can definitely recommend the Corda Jazz amp as a good match for the LCD-2.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/meier-audio-corda-jazz/reviews/11023

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #7,447 of 9,207
I have 800 dollars to spend on a new amp/dac combo for my LCD-2 rev 2 Fazor. My only stipulation is that I don't want a tube amp. I can wait a couple more months and get a Conductor but that might be a little more than I am wanting to spend on an amp/dac. Thoughts?

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #7,448 of 9,207
Have you considered the Schiit Lyr as an amp, good pairing for the LCD-2. Also, you may want to look for a used Conductor, I picked mine up for $1100 (the highest end one retails for $1850), may be able to get a good deal on one, even though that's still a stretch in your price range.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #7,449 of 9,207
An Audio-GD NFB-28 is right about at that price point, and is what I have. It's fully balanced with many functions, never sounds digital, can do ~7W into LCD-2.2f's IIRC, and is quite neutral. It should work great with anything but the most sensitive IEM's as I recently discovered. One idea, at least.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #7,450 of 9,207
  I have 800 dollars to spend on a new amp/dac combo for my LCD-2 rev 2 Fazor. My only stipulation is that I don't want a tube amp. I can wait a couple more months and get a Conductor but that might be a little more than I am wanting to spend on an amp/dac. Thoughts?

I never thought that the conductor was worth it.  I think that it is way overpriced and sounds stale but maybe that is just me.  I think you should wait a month and get a used Resonessence labs Concero and Schiit Moljnir.  That combo is just wow.  Other DACs are Bifrost and Gungnir (I think this DAC is overrated though).  Other amps to consider are Lyr, Bottlehead SEX, some audio-GD offerings, and Corda Classic. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #7,451 of 9,207

The Schiit Lyr, now in a "2" version/Bitrost DAC would put you slightly over your $800 budget, a Modi DAC at $109,comfortably under budget.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #7,452 of 9,207
Have you considered the Schiit Lyr as an amp, good pairing for the LCD-2. Also, you may want to look for a used Conductor, I picked mine up for $1100 (the highest end one retails for $1850), may be able to get a good deal on one, even though that's still a stretch in your price range.

The Schiit Lyr, now in a "2" version/Bitrost DAC would put you slightly over your $800 budget, a Modi DAC at $109,comfortably under budget.

I am not considering a tube amp and I was going to go with a used Conductor as I can't justify the brand new price.

I never thought that the conductor was worth it.  I think that it is way overpriced and sounds stale but maybe that is just me.  I think you should wait a month and get a used Resonessence labs Concero and Schiit Moljnir.  That combo is just wow.  Other DACs are Bifrost and Gungnir (I think this DAC is overrated though).  Other amps to consider are Lyr, Bottlehead SEX, some audio-GD offerings, and Corda Classic. 

I will definitely consider the Concero / Mjolnir combo. Thanks
An Audio-GD NFB-28 is right about at that price point, and is what I have. It's fully balanced with many functions, never sounds digital, can do ~7W into LCD-2.2f's IIRC, and is quite neutral. It should work great with anything but the most sensitive IEM's as I recently discovered. One idea, at least.

That is crazy 7W? I am kind of torn because it is a chinese product. Does build quality feel cheap?

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #7,453 of 9,207
Not one bit cheap, it has a beautiful brushed finish, quite a bit of weight to it, solid connectors, and good warranty. I just rechecked my numbers, it's more like ~4.5 W balanced, maybe ~1.25 W SE. AGD is known for powerful and clean amps. Kingwa, the owner, is awesome.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #7,454 of 9,207
I have an Audio GD SA-31SE and LCD2s, and as I've said before on this thread:  I've listened to that, and I've listened to a Bakoon - and while I wasnt able to do an A/B test, I didnt hear anything in the session with the Bakoon to make me want tp buy it (and I had gone in to buy it  or something comparable - the SA31SE was intended as a stop-gap purchase).

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #7,455 of 9,207
Can someone offer their experience with the following 2 tube amps for my lcd-2 v.2.
Little Dot mk6+ and Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 with C4S mod.
I'm looking at going back to tube amp. Had the Mjolner but didn't like the sound. The sound is fatiguing after a while. I like the sound of Woo Audio WA6 but just wish it had more power and better sound stage.
Help me decide which amp to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back