Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #6,586 of 9,207
Quote:
 I don't know if its the amp but it is very good.   

Huh ? 
size]

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #6,589 of 9,207
haha you called it THE amp for the LCD 2's.   I said I am not sure if its THE amp but its very very good.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #6,590 of 9,207
Quote:
haha you called it THE amp for the LCD 2's.   I said I am not sure if its THE amp but its very very good.  

Well so far every other experienced user who have had time with a lot of the mentioned amps for the LCD2's have said the Mjonir is pretty much the best. Of course subjective experiences vary as well, especially for those that like the LCD2's with certain tube amps.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #6,591 of 9,207
Indeed, my mjolnir has some tube characteristics while having transparency of solid states. It's all a matter of preference and synergy really.

The gungnir is not an amp btw. I don't if you were referring it as a amp given that you've listed only amps.

Ya sorry I mean Mjolnir.  Ya it is a fantastic sounding amp but I think the DIY stuff which is a lot cheaper competes with it or surpasses it.  On the down side though you have to spend many many hours building it yourself.  

Dont mean to put you on the spot, but Id really like to know.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #6,592 of 9,207
Quote:
Dont mean to put you on the spot, but Id really like to know.

I think the Beta 22 competes with it.  If you are into DIY than you can get the parts for a 2 channel beta 22 for about $400 for a very cheap version of it.  But of course that cost doesn't include labor.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #6,593 of 9,207
Ok so Mjolnir vs my current M^3! Bifrost Uber vs D18. I can get a Yulong D18 and Mjolnir for $1000.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #6,594 of 9,207
totally agree, soloist and lcd-2 is a great match (esp if you buy in Australia - the Mjolnir is over $1000 down under and got the soloist for under $800). got my soloist 2 days ago and it does a very decent job running the lcd-2. now the search is for a decent dac. any views on the nad m51.

MacedonianHero - macedonian folk music sounds so good on the lcd-2.2 :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #6,595 of 9,207
Quote:
totally agree, soloist and lcd-2 is a great match (esp if you buy in Australia - the Mjolnir is over $1000 down under and got the soloist for under $800). got my soloist 2 days ago and it does a very decent job running the lcd-2. now the search is for a decent dac. any views on the nad m51.

MacedonianHero - macedonian folk music sounds so good on the lcd-2.2 :)

NAD-M51 + Soloist is a great match. Unfortunately I can only compare it to the Bifrost. M51+Soloist is better than Bifrost+Soloist in terms of soundstage, clarity, and coherence. Bass is also more nuanced on the NAD. Is it a leaps and bounds difference? I think no. Thankfully, since the Soloist has three inputs, it's easy to quickly AB. The NAD is also smoother in its presentation than the Bifrost (non uber).

If you are thinking dollar for dollar performance, just know that law of diminishing returns come into play. Even a second hand NAD M51 is still about twice the price of a new Bifrost. If I had to put a percentage of improvement, I would say 20% better in terms of performance. 

If you count the other features of the NAD - multiple inputs and outputs; balanced out; HDMI input and video passthru - then the cost of the NAD is justifiable. I use it for my PS3, Macbook, and Blu-ray and honestly, my only regret was I did not get it earlier. It is so flexible and convenient. I love it. This chain is easily my favorite (now) for the LCD2 more than the Lyr or Pan Am (the other amps in my setup). 

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #6,596 of 9,207
thx NZheadcase, your impressions of the nad + soloist are very much appreciated.

the usb gen 2 uber upgraded bifrost is around $700 while the nad around $1300 in Australia (for some reason the nad is much cheaper here than in the rest of the world). it's the features of the nad and the good reviews i've read that are swaying me that way and obviously the upgrade bug has bitten me. otherwise i have a few decent dacs including an octave, rega and jkdac32 that are not to bad with the burson. will be getting rid of them with the exception of the metrum.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #6,597 of 9,207
Quote:
Ok so Mjolnir vs my current M^3! Bifrost Uber vs D18. I can get a Yulong D18 and Mjolnir for $1000.

I would give the edge to the Mjolnir and the D18 but unless someone is giving them away I don't think you get get both for $1000.  The Mjolnir is at least $600 used and the D18 I haven't seen it lower than $600 as well.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #6,598 of 9,207
I would give the edge to the Mjolnir and the D18 but unless someone is giving them away I don't think you get get both for $1000.  The Mjolnir is at least $600 used and the D18 I haven't seen it lower than $600 as well.  

It was a offer I got from a friend. But at the same time if I return my Bifrost Uber, then that's $428 back, but then I'd have to sell the M^3. I'd be lucky if I get $500 for it since that's what I paid. Even then unless it's a good upgrade I lose around $100. I was also talking to him about $1060 for a Silver Balanced LCD-2 cable, and one balanced shielded interconnect to connect the DAC and Mjolnir together.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #6,599 of 9,207
Quote:
I think the Beta 22 competes with it.  If you are into DIY than you can get the parts for a 2 channel beta 22 for about $400 for a very cheap version of it.  But of course that cost doesn't include labor.  

2 channel b22 for $400? Yeah sure you can it will probably burn your house down in the process. A properly built B22 2 channel configuration base parts will be around $400-450 including a basic 50va trafo for the o22 psu, price does not include case/enclosure/jacks/shipping. 

You'd be looking at $500+ and assuming you already have some parts on hand and a very cheap crappy enclosure.

Considering that you can readily buy a used Mjonir for as low as $600, that is imho bang for buck good value and better than your basic 2 channel b22.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #6,600 of 9,207
Quote:
It was a offer I got from a friend. But at the same time if I return my Bifrost Uber, then that's $428 back, but then I'd have to sell the M^3. I'd be lucky if I get $500 for it since that's what I paid. Even then unless it's a good upgrade I lose around $100. I was also talking to him about $1060 for a Silver Balanced LCD-2 cable, and one balanced shielded interconnect to connect the DAC and Mjolnir together.

So you are saying $1060 for everything or just the cables?

Quote:
2 channel b22 for $400? Yeah sure you can it will probably burn your house down in the process. A properly built B22 2 channel configuration base parts will be around $400-450 including a basic 50va trafo for the o22 psu, price does not include case/enclosure/jacks/shipping. 

You'd be looking at $500+ and assuming you already have some parts on hand and a very cheap crappy enclosure.

I mean I might be wrong but its like $100 per board plus about $100 for the psu and another $100 for the enclosure and you can mill it yourself so about $400.  I guess if you include the jacks and cables and everything else it would come to about $500.  ya your right never mind.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back