Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #466 of 9,207

Quote:

Quote:

Power transfer at different frequencies is a real problem. How do we know which amps will perform across the frequency spectrum? It's a crap shoot.
The power supply issue is what draws me to the Luxman. The company started out building transformers (a big part of the power supply pie) and the company's amplifiers had (have) plenty of grunt.
As far as putting transformers in the audio signal path (which I think you are talking about), I thought that was a bit of no-no these days. For example, a transformer used in the signal path to amplify the output of a moving coil cartridge to get it to the level accepted by a moving magnet phono input will lead to veiling, limiting of dynamics and other colourations. I would think that the use of a transformer in the signal path of a headphone amp should also be avoided for the same reasons.

That's the problem with the common wisdom.  It is so often generally right, but can be specifically wrong.

There are transformers and then there are TRANSFORMERS.  As an example of the latter, I have a pair of Harmon-Kardon Citation-II amplifiers from 1962 that have humongous output transformers.  I've put them on my electronics bench with a signal generator and an old Tektronix scope; their square wave output at frequencies from 8cps to almost 80,000 Hz, at full rated power is extremely good.

As an example of the former, unfortunately, the Hammond transformers on my MAD amp don't fare so well.  Not bad, but not in the same class.  Replacing the 'lytic output caps with Obbligato oil caps has really made it a much nicer sounding amp, but here the transformers are the limiting factor (nice topology tho)

Another good set of transformers I have hope for: I've been building yet another Dynaco ST-70 kit using Kevin Carter's kit with all-transformer coupled stages (see http://www.kandkaudio.com/poweramplifier.html).  Only 15wpc, but very, very good power transfer across the audio spectrum (at least for the input board, which is all I've built so far).  Might make a very nice headphone amp.

Fun stuff!

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #467 of 9,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uhh.....the other amps I currently own, and others I've previously owned. Check my profile for the current list.

Thanks for that.  I like to put comments into context of something I have heard if that makes sense.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #468 of 9,207

Quote:
FWIW, there is NO inductive reactance to the load from the LCD-2.  It presents a purely resistive 52 ohm load to the amp at any frequency.

Yeah, ain't it grand?  I have Maggies in my studio, so I'm somewhat familiar with the characteristics of planar magnetic drivers (they love current).  But this will be my first pair of planar magnetic headphones.  I'm REALLY looking forward to it, since I truly love the sound of my bi-amped Maggies.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #469 of 9,207

Quote:

Yep, it only took me a few hours of auditioning, before making that call. A couple of days later the Apogee was sold. This Violectric DAC sounds great!!

Yeh, I wasn't that thrilled with that Apogee as you know.  I am set on dacs for now but if that dac is as good as the amp I am sure you are rocking.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #474 of 9,207
Pulled the trigger on the Violectric v181 to test out with the LCD-2's I will post my impressions when it arrives (probably monday next week or tuesday)

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #475 of 9,207
I'm starting to believe that the LCD2s can use more power than the BCL gives - for the odd occasion I want to pump it to concert levels - it seems the BCL runs out of puff.  Otherwise no real complaints.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #476 of 9,207

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on the Violectric v181 to test out with the LCD-2's I will post my impressions when it arrives (probably monday next week or tuesday)

I will be interested in hearing how it does.  The V200 looks a lot better on paper for the LCD-2, as I mentioned up thread quite a ways.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #477 of 9,207
the v181 was mainly purchased for the merging with my current setup at a sacrifice of a little mW.  Maybe I will find a magical synergy, who knows.  I also have quite a few 4pin headphone cables already.  I don't think the v200 is so vastly superior to the v181, imo...yeah on paper it has more mW into 50 ohms...but maybe the v181 is in that magical current feeding zone that the LCD-2 likes :p  The LCD-2s have to reach a point where their stomach is full....I am also not worried about the damping factor being lower.  In the case of headphones I feel it doesn't matter as much as it does for speakers....even still, 250 damping factor is plenty.

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #478 of 9,207

Quote:
the v181 was mainly purchased for the merging with my current setup at a sacrifice of a little mW.  Maybe I will find a magical synergy, who knows.  I also have quite a few 4pin headphone cables already.  I don't think the v200 is so vastly superior to the v181, imo...yeah on paper it has more mW into 50 ohms...but maybe the v181 is in that magical current feeding zone that the LCD-2 likes :p  The LCD-2s have to reach a point where their stomach is full....I am also not worried about the damping factor being lower.  In the case of headphones I feel it doesn't matter as much as it does for speakers....even still, 250 damping factor is plenty.

Electrical damping can be important in conventional dynamic cans, but shouldn't be important in planar magnetics.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #479 of 9,207

Quote:
I will be interested in hearing how it does.  The V200 looks a lot better on paper for the LCD-2, as I mentioned up thread quite a ways.

Doesn't the V100 look pretty close to the V200 on paper for the LCD2's? Do you think the V200 is worth the difference? $700 vs $915

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #480 of 9,207

Quote:

Doesn't the V100 look pretty close to the V200 on paper for the LCD2's? Do you think the V200 is worth the difference? $700 vs $915

The V200 looks quite incredible with power output at 50ohms - its showing 2.7 watts if I'm not mistaken.  But at the prices - the likes of the Audio GD Phoenix is not far-off - and this one has a remote, dual chassis, dual mono, bridged outputs etc.  I hope we can get a direct comparison between these two amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back