Amp Recomendation?
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Deathdeisel

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, im looking for a new desktop amp. Not looking for anything gigantic or immensely expensive. Im currently using my Denon D5000s, and am looking for something to replace my E7/E10 combo.

Sound wise im looking for something fun and engaging, good amounts of bass, but still clean and powerful enough to power possibly some hifiman he-500s. Is this possible, or are the two too far apart in terms of sound and power?

Im looking at buying some new phones, namely the he-500s, so thats the reason for the amp to be suitable. Currently im looking at the nuuforce icon hd/hdp, or the schiit lyr, as ive heard good things of both. Size wise im looking around those sizes, including price, really no more than $400USD. And it would be awesome to be a DAC at the same time, as im using my computer as a source.

Any suggestions? Thanks, DD.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 67
Quote:
Hey guys, im looking for a new desktop amp. Not looking for anything gigantic or immensely expensive. Im currently using my Denon D5000s, and am looking for something to replace my E7/E10 combo.

Sound wise im looking for something fun and engaging, good amounts of bass, but still clean and powerful enough to power possibly some hifiman he-500s. Is this possible, or are the two too far apart in terms of sound and power?

Im looking at buying some new phones, namely the he-500s, so thats the reason for the amp to be suitable. Currently im looking at the nuuforce icon hd/hdp, or the schiit lyr, as ive heard good things of both. Size wise im looking around those sizes, including price, really no kore than 400. And it would be awesome to be a DAC at the same time, as im using my computer as a source.

Any suggestions? Thanks, DD.

For a neutral, transparent, and relatively inexpensive combination, in a small case, consider the ODAC+O2 combo (US$285). It will definitely allow you to get everything the D5000 and HE-500 are capable of delivering. There are several threads at Head-Fi discussing them; you can safely ignore the IC- and wire-rollers who post there.

If you're looking for electronics which will enhance existing or add additional bass -- it's not clear to me if this is what you're seeking -- skip the ODAC+O2.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 67
Well one thing i noticed was significantly different with the icon hdp was the bass of the d5s was much more pronounced, had more impact, and quantity. Is this generally uncommon of amps?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 67
I'm a big fan of the ODAC and O2 as well. 

Make use of colored headphones and EQ to get any bass boost you want.. Not the amp. what if you decide you don't want bass boost 24/7? You are stuck buying a new amp :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:
Well one thing i noticed was significantly different with the icon hdp was the bass of the d5s was much more pronounced, had more impact, and quantity. Is this generally uncommon of amps?

You may want to look for more information about electrical damping and damping factor. It may help explain differences in bass response.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 67
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the ODAC and O2 as well. 

Make use of colored headphones and EQ to get any bass boost you want.. Not the amp. what if you decide you don't want bass boost 24/7? You are stuck buying a new amp :)

My only issue is which EQ to use. I usually am running a few different means of music playing, like spotify, pandora, etc. Is there any way to EQ everything that comes out of my computer? 
Quote:

You may want to look for more information about electrical damping and damping factor. It may help explain differences in bass response.

What do you mean? Im not following. Do you mean something like adding resistors to certain headphones to change the sound a bit? 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:
Okay, so far my options are 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Are there any others I should consider that are worth the money?USD $250-400?

Schiit Asgard + ODAC?

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Voldemort is a reference to the designer of the Odac. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for explaining that.. I don't think I'm really allowed to mention him. But, his products are so.. prominent on here, it's kinda hard to avoid doing so. So, he has a few nicknames. *shrugs*

He wasn't very fond of schiit audio. So, he'd be at least partially upset at seeing his design coupled with one of their amps.

Also, he hasn't posted anything in forever. That's kind of a part of the pun too.. I'm calling him dead.

I think it makes sense. It's kinda late 
confused_face.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:
Voldemort is a reference to the designer of the Odac. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for explaining that.. I don't think I'm really allowed to mention him. But, his products are so.. prominent on here, it's kinda hard to avoid doing so. So, he has a few nicknames. *shrugs*

He wasn't very fond of schiit audio. So, he'd be at least partially upset at seeing his design coupled with one of their amps.

Also, he hasn't posted anything in forever. That's kind of a part of the pun too.. I'm calling him dead.

I think it makes sense. It's kinda late 
confused_face.gif

Ah, gotcha.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 67
All that being said, I don't have a personal agenda against schiit.. I've never heard any of their stuff... And it all has at least one thing going for it, aesthetics. Man, their stuff looks cool.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:
All that being said, I don't have a personal agenda against schiit.. I've never heard any of their stuff... And it all has at least one thing going for it, aesthetics. Man, their stuff looks cool.

How do you like the O2? I'm getting one for Christmas.. Woo stuff looks cooler
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back