amp question
Aug 19, 2008 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Silbert

New Head-Fier
Hey, i'm soon gonna buy my first headphones not sure wich ones i am gonna buy yet but most likely an AKG 601 or a beyerdynamic 770 or 880. Since i dont know alot about amps i was wondering if you guys could help me, i am looking for a rather cheap amp ( around 70$) that will be enough to drive these phones. Any help is appreciated!

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Ever considered DIY? It really isn't that hard, and you could make a decent amp for your 70 bucks.

Other than that, I'm not aware of a desktop amp that is $70 or less. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you better than I.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 4
If you are comfortable soldering, You may be able to build a pimeta for around $70 if you dont go too crazy on components & enclosure. Even with "fairly average" grade parts, a pimeta can sound pretty sweet.

Im not as sure which way to go if you are not comfy soldering. Keeping a keen eye on the FS forums for something like a used pimeta (immagine that) or some other older amp while saving money would be my strategy. The fact that the amp is a few years old and out of production (or in the case of the pimeta, that nobody builds them commercially anymore) does not detract from their SQ in the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back