AMP - Meier Concerto, Meier Classic or Schiit Valhalla
Jan 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shorty11

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing one of the three above to be a dedicated desktop amp for my Westone 4R's.

I am a noob... so I do not know which one would be best or if these are even ideally suited for the 4R's...So which one should I choose?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing one of the three above to be a dedicated desktop amp for my Westone 4R's.

I am a noob... so I do not know which one would be best or if these are even ideally suited for the 4R's...So which one should I choose?

Thanks

Huh? Why are you trying to get an amp for the 4R's? I don't think they require amplification. Just plug them into a good portable music player and be happy.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 4
hello my advice would be to look into which one has the lowest noise floor,  Supposedly IEM's  will show that noise and some tube amps are very noisy,  Schiit states Valhalla is not designed for IEM's for this very reason (not saying it wont work, I'm relaying what the manufacturer says)
I just ordered a Valhalla myself but I will be using Sennhieser HD650 with it. 

Joe 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 4

Hi All,

Thanks

Huh? Why are you trying to get an amp for the 4R's? I don't think they require amplification. Just plug them into a good portable music player and be happy.

Maybe this ... ^

hello my advice would be to look into which one has the lowest noise floor,  Supposedly IEM's  will show that noise and some tube amps are very noisy,  Schiit states Valhalla is not designed for IEM's for this very reason (not saying it wont work, I'm relaying what the manufacturer says)
I just ordered a Valhalla myself but I will be using Sennhieser HD650 with it. 

Joe 

Especially this ... ^

I'm not sure I like any of the amps you listed, especially with an armature-based IEM.  An armature-based IEM may benefit from a good amp, so I'm not ready to agree completely with the first reply.  Since I'm a DIY-er, I built a Mini3 and have been more than satisfied with it.  MisterX could build you one pretty quickly with the lithium battery option.

If you are interested in something truly commercial, I'd pick the Pico or the Pico + DAC.  It's tested very well.

Quote from Tyll Hertsens of InnerFideltiy:
I've shown the HeadAmp Pico in the plot above because it measures so darn well; better, in my opinion, than the JDS Labs O2, which is no slouch. I love the Pico...I wonder how much that has to do with its outstanding measurements. In total, I measured 23 unbalanced solid-state amps of a variety of types. You can download the headphone amp measurements .PDF here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back