Amp for HD650
Feb 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nigeljames

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just ordered the sennheiser HD650 to use with my cyrus 8x and I am looking for a headphone amp. My particular interests lie with the creek obh 21se and the Graham Slee solo 2007 intro (I can't afford the monitor immediately) I listen to rock and metal mainly and I have picked the senns over Grados because
a. I have enjoyed senn's before
b. I listened to Grado 325 when I demo'ed the Naim CDX, Rega Saturn and Cyrus 8x using the rega ear and Naim Headline with rega and naim cables and found the sound lacking in body,weight and with excessive trable and sibilance.
I believe the headphones must of been faulty but the dealer was not having any of it. I have heard that the senn's are laidback and would like to put some more life and drive into them if possible. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to rock and metal ....
b. I listened to Grado 325 when I demo'ed the Naim CDX, Rega Saturn and Cyrus 8x using the rega ear and Naim Headline with rega and naim cables and found the sound lacking in body,weight and with excessive trable and sibilance.
I believe the headphones must of been faulty but the dealer was not having any of it.

Nope, sounds like my experience with the 325. The brightest of the lineup.

I dont think the 650 is too laidback. Try it first. The cyrus speaker amps have a nice headphone out that is nice-but-not-quite-as-nice-but-I-cant-put-my-finger-on-it as my XCANv2

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 20
Doge 6210 for less than $400 - meets or beats much more expensive amps.

Only problems with the HD650 is Boom Box bass and poor inner detail (poor separation of instruments and poor clarity in congested passages - at least compared to the K701 and SA5000). Need an amp with good inner detail and clarity.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 20
You will find the Heed Canamp will add all the "inner clarity"
and instrument separation the HD650s can handle and more.
You will have a 3D liquidity and layered musical tracks that
bring out the best the 650s have to offer. Throw in a ZuMobius cable upgrade with the Heed amp and you are
out of the upgrade business for a long, long while.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

I have just ordered the sennheiser HD650 to use with my cyrus 8x and I am looking for a headphone amp. My particular interests lie with the creek obh 21se and the Graham Slee solo 2007 intro (I can't afford the monitor immediately) I listen to rock and metal mainly and I have picked the senns over Grados because
a. I have enjoyed senn's before
I believe the headphones must of been faulty but the dealer was not having any of it. I have heard that the senn's are laidback and would like to put some more life and drive into them if possible. Thank you in advance for any advice.

You made the right choice! The 650's are far better than any Grado's.

Dont forget to try a MF X-CanV3, Great amp for the money. With a good mod and tubes, it can smoke amps at twice the price.
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bring out the best the 650s have to offer. Throw in a ZuMobius cable upgrade with the Heed amp and you are

double post

Feb 19, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

keep hearing good things from this one going to get it soon

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 20
dan at blackbirdaudio.com is a California distributor and a prince of a guy. he should be your contact person for the Heed. Don't let the backorders throw you. The supply chain is improving and worth the wait!!!

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 20
I just wish to thank everyone who replied. Its been so long I actually forgot about this thread, does not help working away for months at a time and having my computer stolen while on holiday.
Just so you know I purchased a GS Solo and I am delighted with it with my cyrus cd8se and HD650. I also have a K701 which is superb as well.
I had the Equinox cable but have since upgraded to a Silver Dragon V2. Very nice cable.
Anyway thanks again.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 20
It is interesting to see the comments about the Can Amp from 2 years ago compared to now in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hee...-650-a-409676/

A few comments either way doesn't prove anything but back then the Can Amp was getting hight praise from many quarters in the 160 page mega thread. I definitely think there is a FOTM phenomenon on Head Fi leading to amps etc being hyped for a while and then mostly ignored or even rubbished. I bought the Can Amp back then, my only amp to date and I have to say it sounds great with my 650's. I have just decided to get the C-2C amp from China so I am looking forward to having it to compare to the Can Amp.

I don't want to annoy anyone but I have to say that apart from my suspicions on the FOTM thing I never heard any difference due to "burn in" on the Can Amp or the 650's, to my ears it simply does not exist. Then again I can't tell the difference between 192k and 320k and if I got expensive cables for the 650's I doubt if I could hear any improvement either. It's obviously just my ears.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 20
I agree FOTM is very popular here. I might have been tempted myself to get the Heed but I heard somewhere that it is better with the K701 than the HD650`s. Saying that my Solo is superb with both. I think its helped by the forward, fast dynamic sound from my source but I would never say the senn`s are laid back or distant or the K701`s are cold and sterile. As for burn in I firmly believe in it for most electrical equipment. Take the Solo, it sounded unfocused and confused from new and even if its fully burnt in but alowed to cool down for a few hours the SQ suffers, thats why it is never switched off unless I am going on holiday. The same for headphones (varying by headphone) the K701 got alot smother and more musical over time. Generally I feel cables don`t change much but depending on design some maybe more than others.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Take the Solo, it sounded unfocused and confused from new and even if its fully burnt in but alowed to cool down for a few hours the SQ suffers, thats why it is never switched off unless I am going on holiday.

My impression exactly. After 2-3 weeks, my Solo truly blossomed and became a FANTASTIC amp. I was not too fond of it at first, and now I love it (using it with Sennheiser HD-595): the difference compared to my previous Pioneer amp is like night and day.

Anyway I think that the Solo (I have a recent 2009 version) operates very "coolly": it never gets warm even when playing music, so it's actually safe to keep it always plugged in.

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression exactly. After 2-3 weeks, my Solo truly blossomed and became a FANTASTIC amp. I was not too fond of it at first, and now I love it (using it with Sennheiser HD-595): the difference compared to my previous Pioneer amp is like night and day.

Anyway I think that the Solo (I have a recent 2009 version) operates very "coolly": it never gets warm even when playing music, so it's actually safe to keep it always plugged in.

Did you have a chance to compare your Solo to older versions?
My original one was bought in March 2007 but was stolen so I ordered another in October 08. Looks identical with the red led (so I assume its not the new version). Then I find out they have brought out a new SRG version
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 20
I have been using RSA HR-2 amplifier for a year now, upgraded from Musical Fidelity x-can v3. HR-2 has good bass, resolution and clarity. Its background is black, it's quiet. You need to upgrade other components as well to get the best out of HD650. Most importantly is the source, mine wasn't on par with my other components because vocal was harsh and it lacked clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back