Amp for Fiio E10K DAC ++ "Immersive" headphones
Jan 4, 2015 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

liraop

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, first post here.

I currently own a Fiio E10K and a DT770 32omh. I'm planning to buy a Magni 2 Uber and use the e10k as DAC. I want to get a larger soundstage/instrument separation and detail. Do you guys think that I can achieve that just getting a better amp ? 
I'm looking for a better hp too. Thinking about the HD600. I really want to feel "immerse" on the song, know from where the sounds are coming and stuff like that.

I've tested the DT800 250 with the E10K but the treble was just too bright for my ears. It was good on my lumia 920 and macbook pro directly, tho. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 19
Line out of the E10K to the Magni 2 should work.  Why are you considering paying a premium for the Uber?  Are you planning on connecting to powered speakers or just using the headphone amp?

The Magni 2 is very affordable and completely capable of driving the Sennys.  You don't need to spend $$ on a better amp unless you want to invest in tube amplification.  Just my opinion. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 19
Thank you for the reply.

Actually, I never heard a amp tube so I actually afraid of trying it and dislike it. 
I was giving a thought about the Schiit Vali and it sound like a nice investment but I'm not planning on power speakers. I just want to take the best out of my DT770 and the next open headphone that I'm going to buy. (and of course, hear the soundstage "magic" and layering etc)

Does an amp can improve this for me ? 

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 19
  Thank you for the reply.

Actually, I never heard a amp tube so I actually afraid of trying it and dislike it. 
I was giving a thought about the Schiit Vali and it sound like a nice investment but I'm not planning on power speakers. I just want to take the best out of my DT770 and the next open headphone that I'm going to buy. (and of course, hear the soundstage "magic" and layering etc)

Does an amp can improve this for me ? 

No. But some headphones can, specially playing binaural recordings such as those from Chesky Records.

Some headphones to consider:

Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600/HD650 (Not the biggest soundstage, but good imaging anyway)
Philips Fidelio X2
SoundMagic HP200

E10K can drive these headphones just fine.
A more powerful amp like Magni 2 or JDS O2 would make a very very little difference in sound vs Fiio E10K. On the other hand, headphones have a huge impact in sound quality in comparison. There are other headphones with very good soundstage and separation, but if you thought that DT880s were too bright, then it would be the same for other headphones on the bright/analytical side of neutral.

Best Luck!

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 19
I'll read a little more about the Fidelio X2. I was really into the HD600. 

Thanks for your advices. I eventually gave up from buying a new amp before get a new headphone. 
I guess I need to improve my hearing to get perception of things. 

No. But some headphones can, specially playing binaural recordings such as those from Chesky Records.

Some headphones to consider:

Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600/HD650 (Not the biggest soundstage, but good imaging anyway)
Philips Fidelio X2
SoundMagic HP200

E10K can drive these headphones just fine.
A more powerful amp like Magni 2 or JDS O2 would make a very very little difference in sound vs Fiio E10K. On the other hand, headphones have a huge impact in sound quality in comparison. There are other headphones with very good soundstage and separation, but if you thought that DT880s were too bright, then it would be the same for other headphones on the bright/analytical side of neutral.

Best Luck!

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 19
  I'll read a little more about the Fidelio X2. I was really into the HD600. 

Thanks for your advices. I eventually gave up from buying a new amp before get a new headphone. 
I guess I need to improve my hearing to get perception of things. 

Tyll likes them very much
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 19

Tyll likes them very much
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

wow! Looks very promising. I'm really interest. Sad that is out of stock on Amazon. Anyway, do you know another online place to buy HPs in USA ? 

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 19
I own the X2 Fidelio and they are really great-sounding. I recommend them highly.

yeah, I bought the X2 following this thread =P
Indeed is a good choice but I still want some more soundstage.
Maybe with a better dac...

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 19

yeah, I bought the X2 following this thread =P
Indeed is a good choice but I still want some more soundstage.
Maybe with a better dac...

Darkish treble + big soundstage, that's a hard one!

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 19
I'm not keeping the X2, though. I was matching it with Schiit Vali and the floor noise isn't pleasant. 
The sound is pretty good but.. there's no wow factor. I'm now trying to things more.. radically. 
I'll try the q701, by its huge soundstage. If it doesn't makes me be glad, I'll try a HD600 or something like that.

God be mercy with my budget.. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 19
  I'm not keeping the X2, though. I was matching it with Schiit Vali and the floor noise isn't pleasant. 
The sound is pretty good but.. there's no wow factor. I'm now trying to things more.. radically. 
I'll try the q701, by its huge soundstage. If it doesn't makes me be glad, I'll try a HD600 or something like that.

God be mercy with my budget.. 

Please don't take the term 'huge' literally.

X2 apparently has slightly smaller soundstage than DT880, then:
X2 < DT880 < DT990 < Q701
Senns HD6xx are close to DT880.

Just don't expect a room with speakers coming out of AKG Q701. Soundstage is mostly recording dependent. A well produced binaural recording provide spacious soundstage and precise imaging even with (good) lower grade headphones like Takstar Hi-2050. A poor recording on my K702 is just a mess a little bit wider, nothing more.

If you have a chance, try this samples with your headphones
http://www.hdtracks.com/alexis-cole-a-kiss-in-the-dark

Best Luck!

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 19
For pairing with the E10K (which I've just purchased), are the DT990's a good choice then? I appreciate some of the other recommendations here may be better, BUT the 990's are significantly cheaper (here in the UK anyway). I was initially concerned with them being 250ohm that the E10K wouldn't be enough to power them, but I've read elsewhere on these forums that this isn't the case. I'm all but ready to pull the trigger on these, but is there anything else in this price range I should consider?

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 19
For pairing with the E10K (which I've just purchased), are the DT990's a good choice then? I appreciate some of the other recommendations here may be better, BUT the 990's are significantly cheaper (here in the UK anyway). I was initially concerned with them being 250ohm that the E10K wouldn't be enough to power them, but I've read elsewhere on these forums that this isn't the case. I'm all but ready to pull the trigger on these, but is there anything else in this price range I should consider?

Power related issues will not be real. My concern on pairing dt990 and e10k is how harsh its treble will sound. As I state before, I tried a dt880 250 on it and find it too bright, everything else was good though

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Power related issues will not be real. My concern on pairing dt990 and e10k is how harsh its treble will sound. As I state before, I tried a dt880 250 on it and find it too bright, everything else was good though

Is that an issue with the DT990's then, or the E10K? Would you recommend any other headphones around this price range to pair with the E10K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back