Amp for Audio Technica W1000X?
Aug 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PhDJ

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, Newbie alarm - go easy on me please!

I am taking my first steps towards audiophile bliss and have just invested in an Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, which I am hoping will arrive in a week or so. As I mainly listen to (Jazz and Fusion) music on my computer I would like to buy a valve headphone amp to go with this. I already have a Hotaudio DAC (destroyer I think it's called).

As I have spent most of my budget on the cans I'd like to keep the price of the amp down - ideally to about US$200 but certainly no more than $300. As a beginner, which amp would you recommend for these phones? The Little Dots seem to get good reviews and I will be in Hong Kong soon so could save on the shipping cost, but which model? Would the I be good enough for someone starting out like me? The II, III, IVSE? Or another brand?

Any recommendations - especially for these headphones - would be most appreciated!

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 10
LD amps does not do well with low impedance headphones like AT, you may want to look at Woo Audio 6 or similar.  To be honest, your W1000x does not really need an amp, even ipod headphone out sounds really nice but it does scale well with amp. 

I don't have much time with W1000x but a lot with AD2000 and W5000, WA6 drives them really well.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 10
A used M-Stage will be about $200 or a little more.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 10
With that budget and other requirements, I'd look into a DIY hybrid like the Millet Minimax amp and similar.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 10

Thanks for that - the Woo Audio 6 sure looks nice but at $620 it's double my budget! (http://www.wooaudio.com/products/)
Any other recommendations for my low impedance W1000x?

Quote:
LD amps does not do well with low impedance headphones like AT, you may want to look at Woo Audio 6 or similar.  To be honest, your W1000x does not really need an amp, even ipod headphone out sounds really nice but it does scale well with amp. 

I don't have much time with W1000x but a lot with AD2000 and W5000, WA6 drives them really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back