Amp for akg k701
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deltaspirit

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered these from a member here. I know that these need something to power them. I did some searching but all the threads I found were old and I'd thought things had changed since then. So I'm wondering what I should get, or if I Should get anything at all. I just recently bought a Asus xonar DX sound card, so would that be enough?

My budget is around $ 250 Canadian and I PREFER to buy used.

Sorry if my answers or info is vague...

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I did some searching but all the threads I found were old and I'd thought things had changed since then...

too old? - like the >250 threads with K701 in title with activity in the past 6 mo?

or the 78 of them in the desktop amps forum active in the past year?

amplifying headphones with a dedicated amp is a really obscure corner of the consumer electronics world, it really doesn't move that fast - only a few new amps per year are really suitable for K701

and even soundcard innovation is largely in a useless direction for amping K701 - as a class soundcard's simply don't put out enough current

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too old? - like the >250 threads with K701 in title with activity in the past 6 mo?

or the 78 of them in the desktop amps forum active in the past year?

amplifying headphones with a dedicated amp is a really obscure corner of the consumer electronics world, it really doesn't move that fast - only a few new amps per year are really suitable for K701

and even soundcard innovation is largely in a useless direction for amping K701 - as a class soundcard's simply don't put out enough current

Well, Actually I did a google search. I was hoping you'd say my sound card is not enough.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might be able to get a second hand Heed canamp for your budget. I think they're 400 brand new.

$250 Canadian? For a Heed? Don't think so. You'd have to hit the head-fi lottery get something like that.

I got mine for $315 USD Shipped, which is probably pretty close to $350 CAD(plus international shipping..in this case) and I'd consider mine a steal.

Maybe a used EF1? Even that could be pushing it budget wise though..

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$250 Canadian? For a Heed? Don't think so. You'd have to hit the head-fi lottery get something like that.

I got mine for $315 USD Shipped, which is probably pretty close to $350 CAD(plus international shipping..in this case) and I'd consider mine a steal.

Maybe a used EF1? Even that could be pushing it budget wise though..

The exchange rate is pretty good right now so it would be probably less. I Was looking at some amps in my price range and see the Little Dot II++ Tube Amp being talked about often, would this be a good amp for these headphones? I'm not looking for the most amazing setup.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 14
I've decided to get a used darkvoice 336se or 336i as I've heard alot of good things about these two together. Would my asus xonar dx serve as a good DAC?

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 14
Here's the deal: You will eventually want to upgrade the Asus, but you shouldn't yet. You should listen to it a lot, really get to know what it sounds like, and then find a way to hear some other options in person.

The only reason I would upgrade it now is if it's noisy. If there's no noise from the computer's power supply coming through your headphones when you use it, give i a chance. Then you'll find out what you like, and go from there.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14
There is almost no noise coming from my computer. I have a fan controller and keep all the fans on the lowest speed. The card's not that bad right?

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Most soundcards so a decent job of converting bits to analog sound. (yes I'm wearing a flame-retardant suit)

As Sherwood advised, as long as it's not doing anything glaringly wrong, use and enjoy it.

Many will tell you that an OTL (Output TransformerLess) tube amp is ill-suited for K701's. I thought my Little Dot did a fine job when I owned a pair (tragically did not survive a cable replacement
triportsad.gif
). As long as you are not wanting to drive them to very high levels a DV amp should do well for you.

In any case, don't spend a lot of money until you've heard gear that you are sure you will enjoy fully and will justify the expense. Going to Head-Fi meets is the best way to get exposure to a wide range of gear.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I mean power supply noise -- computers use a switching power supply, which adds kind of a grainy sound in the background. How much depends on your computer's power supply.

And no, of course the Xonar isn't that bad, but I enjoyed the K701s best out of my $2500 ECD-1 DAC. What I'm trying to say is that it gets much better, depnding on how far you eventually take this thing.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean power supply noise -- computers use a switching power supply, which adds kind of a grainy sound in the background. How much depends on your computer's power supply.

And no, of course the Xonar isn't that bad, but I enjoyed the K701s best out of my $2500 ECD-1 DAC. What I'm trying to say is that it gets much better, depnding on how far you eventually take this thing.

Yeah, I know what you're trying to say about the DAC. Same applies with the amp, but I think this a good combo for the price and if I end up not liking it I can always sell it.

As for the power supply, how can I figure out if it will add to noise? its rated at 535W, my pc probably only uses like than 400 from the plug.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Actually, every computer power supply is poorly shielded, and every one is a switch-mode. There's no way to avoid that. Most quality sound cards have power filtration to block that noise, but I can't speak to which actually do or do not.

In any case, no need to stress about it. If you hear noise when you hook everything up, then invest in a DAC with its own non-computer power supply. If you don't, enjoy some wonderful music. The K701 is one of the least expensive ways to achieve real high-end sound, especially out of the darkvoice. You'll be pleased.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, every computer power supply is poorly shielded, and every one is a switch-mode. There's no way to avoid that. Most quality sound cards have power filtration to block that noise, but I can't speak to which actually do or do not.

In any case, no need to stress about it. If you hear noise when you hook everything up, then invest in a DAC with its own non-computer power supply. If you don't, enjoy some wonderful music. The K701 is one of the least expensive ways to achieve real high-end sound, especially out of the darkvoice. You'll be pleased.

Thanks, I'll get an external dac if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back