Amp decision
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

anotherheadphoneamp

New Head-Fier
I’m looking to purchase another headphone amplifier. I have a wide variety of headphones balanced and unbalanced. Going to run it off my desktop and looking for the best amplifier under $1000. I’ve listed a few I’m looking at but open to other options. Thanks in advance for any information you can pass on. Thanks!!

FiiO K9 Pro ESS or new $499 version
Xduoo TA-22
Liquid Platinum (on sale)
Wait for Hifiman EF 600

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I'll start by sharing some other amplifiers that I think would be worth having a look at within your budget.

Some worth looking at new under 1k:
Singxer SA-1
Schiit Jotunheim 2

Some worth looking at in the used market under 1k:
Bryston BHA-1
Burson Soloist 3XP
Violectric V280
Schiit Mjolnir 1 and 2
Flux Labs FA-10/12/22 (was available under 1k new, but unable to purchase now due to war troubles, since the company is located in Ukraine)

Personally if you don't mind buying used, you'll be able to step up to the higher end options with the 1k budget over your regular 500ish dollar options that are available new. There isn't a whole lot available between $500 to $1000 price range, and stuff that you can buy just below 1k used is usually that next step up into the higher end stuff.

In terms of narrowing the list down, it'll be best to share what kind of sound you're going for or what you're looking for that your current amplifier isn't achieving.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 9
I’m looking to purchase another headphone amplifier. I have a wide variety of headphones balanced and unbalanced. Going to run it off my desktop and looking for the best amplifier under $1000. I’ve listed a few I’m looking at but open to other options. Thanks in advance for any information you can pass on. Thanks!!

FiiO K9 Pro ESS or new $499 version
Xduoo TA-22
Liquid Platinum (on sale)
Wait for Hifiman EF 600
Welcome to the forum! Those are some interesting options you've listed. I recommend doing some research and reading up on reviews before you make your purchase. You may want to consider the Topping E30 as well, as it's a great option within your budget and has great reviews. Good luck with your search!

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 9
I'll start by sharing some other amplifiers that I think would be worth having a look at within your budget.

Some worth looking at new under 1k:
Singxer SA-1
Schiit Jotunheim 2

Some worth looking at in the used market under 1k:
Bryston BHA-1
Burson Soloist 3XP
Violectric V280
Schiit Mjolnir 1 and 2
Flux Labs FA-10/12/22 (was available under 1k new, but unable to purchase now due to war troubles, since the company is located in Ukraine)

Personally if you don't mind buying used, you'll be able to step up to the higher end options with the 1k budget over your regular 500ish dollar options that are available new. There isn't a whole lot available between $500 to $1000 price range, and stuff that you can buy just below 1k used is usually that next step up into the higher end stuff.

In terms of narrowing the list down, it'll be best to share what kind of sound you're going for or what you're looking for that your current amplifier isn't achieving.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. I have no problem buying used. I buy a lot of my headphones and other amps and dacs used. I have the Dark Voice, TA-26 and MT 604 tube amps. I have the Drop 789, Ifi zen can 6xx edition and Sabaj A20d 2022 version. I started 3 years ago looking for a great gaming headphone. However 3 years later I’m fascinated by the audio side. I started with the Beyerdynamic for gaming. Own pretty much all of them with the exception of T1,T5 and T70 and a few Sennheiser headphones. Lately I’ve been buying some planar headphones HE-560, 400i, 4xx, M1060, and TR50RP. As my headphone collection grows I feel I need to upgrade my Amp and Dac as well. Honestly I love listening to music on headphones and just looking for the next best thing or upgrade. Thanks again for the reply!!

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to the forum! Those are some interesting options you've listed. I recommend doing some research and reading up on reviews before you make your purchase. You may want to consider the Topping E30 as well, as it's a great option within your budget and has great reviews. Good luck with your search!
Thanks for the reply!! I agree with you on the research. I’ve been doing a lot lately waiting on the perfect purchase for me. I have been looking at the L50 E50 stack. Thanks again

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply and recommendations. I have no problem buying used. I buy a lot of my headphones and other amps and dacs used. I have the Dark Voice, TA-26 and MT 604 tube amps. I have the Drop 789, Ifi zen can 6xx edition and Sabaj A20d 2022 version. I started 3 years ago looking for a great gaming headphone. However 3 years later I’m fascinated by the audio side. I started with the Beyerdynamic for gaming. Own pretty much all of them with the exception of T1,T5 and T70 and a few Sennheiser headphones. Lately I’ve been buying some planar headphones HE-560, 400i, 4xx, M1060, and TR50RP. As my headphone collection grows I feel I need to upgrade my Amp and Dac as well. Honestly I love listening to music on headphones and just looking for the next best thing or upgrade. Thanks again for the reply!!

Between your amps which one is the one you enjoy the most, and what do you like over the others about how it sounds? There's definitely an upgrade to be had over those in your collection, but it's best to narrow down the list and see which might be the ones you like the best.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Nice collection, and given that I would suggest the Arcam R-Head for Value.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 9
I don’t know why but all Cavalli amps just are very good with planars. I have original Liquid Carbon , Liquid Spark , CTH and a Liquid Platinum and almost all of my planars sound just great with them other than the HE-6seV2 and AB-1266 really like them from the Carbon but just ok on the others , but the rest sound very good.
The Liquid Platinum also sound great with my ZMF’s and HD-800’s.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Best value if you want transparency and enough grunt to handle those planar headphones is a Topping D10b (or used E50 is even nicer, I have one) and the Sabaj A20h amplifier (have one also, listening to it now). Amazon has the amp for $119, and their Amazon basics star quad XLR cables work great. I've powered the HE6se up to a -4db preamp reduction when equalizing on this amp, but that's the limit for loud volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back