AMP/DAC search - Pico,D10 or Topaz
Apr 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Nosgis

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there, I'm new to the world of amp and cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

My posting history shows mainly interest in IEM's and portable source gear.

Anyway, I'm now considering the Headamp Pico AMP with USB DAC. Hopefully to be able enjoy both worlds, portable (IEM) and headphones at home. Therefore, I have one question:

How well does the Pico handle full size cans? Can it handle demanding cans? Would appreciate some input on this matter.

Update:
It's between D10 Cobra, Pico or Topaz. Leaning towards the Pico.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which fullsize?
I used the Pico to drive my HD600 for nearly a month and was quite satisfied. I still felt my the HD600 was underpowered though.

Agreed, I use my Pico to drive my Denon's on the go and it does so quite nicely. After upgrading to a dedicated amp, I did realize the shortcomings of the Pico, but I also spent a considerable amount more to do so. For a portable amp/DAC I couldn't be happier with the Pico and think it's well worth the investment.

Enjoy.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks. I was just hoping to get an idea about what kind of cans/headphones the Pico can drive reasonably well.

I haven't bought any full size cans yet, but I will sometime soon. I have no clue, there's so much to choose from. I will probably make a thread about it sometime.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 24
Nosgis,

The Pico will turbo charge that i7...a good combo which I have experience with. I use my Pico to drive my HD 650. I rarely need to use high gain. It sounds very good to my ears. If you've never heard a good USB DAC, prepare to be amazed.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 24
In addition to what the OP commented, I am also interested in the Pico amp/dac combo. My question deals with the dac section. Does the amp need to be turned on to use the dac? Thanks.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 24
IMO hd600 + Pico wasn't the greatest match in terms of synergy. I use Pico with Beyer dt531's and it sounded much better though, with my ex-90's (buds) I get a very noticeable improvement as well.

The Pico also pairs nicely with grado RS-1 and sr-80.

I guess the answer is, it depends on what cans, it seems power hungry doesn't fare as well as efficient cans.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 24
We're getting a lot of different responses. In my experience you'd have to spend nearly what the Pico costs on just an amp to surpass it with power hungry full-sized cans. It shouldn't be surprising that the Pico can be beat if price and size is not a concern, but what is surprising is how well it performs for its cost (and size). You decide how you want to divide the ratio of the $500, arguably the DAC is its strong suite (and I know a few that use it for home DAC duties - thus the new version), but then again Headamp shoots for transparency in their amps. If memory serves Senns were used for testing during the design so those power hungry cans were considered by Justin.

Because of practicalities my Pico doesn't get a lot of head-time, but whenever I use it I'm always amazed at its performance.

I should also mention the iBasso D2 Boa sounds very good also, though I never heard it with high impedance cans. And Styleaudio's Topaz feature-set is impressive, but who knows about performance? Finally, if on a Mac the Apogee Duet's DAC is a killer, but the Pico beats it when higher power drive is required on the amp section.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for the feedback! After reading your posts I will conclude that the Pico can drive cans reasonably good, as long as the cans are easy to drive and not too power hungry.

I will for sure pick the Pico up, now I just need to find a good pair of cans for it. Will make a thread for suggestions soon. I have a budget around $300-400 for cans.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Thanks, I will take note of the Grados. 300-400 is just a ballpark, I can go a bit higher if needed.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosgis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I will take note of the Grados. 300-400 is just a ballpark, I can go a bit higher if needed.
wink.gif

Yes Grado's rock with the pico.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back