Amp/DAC recommendation for T50rp, HD650, DT880, ...
Nov 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HumanSaurusRex

Head-Fier
Hey guys. My post in the recommendation thread seems not to get the attention I want to give it another try here. Currently I enjoy my new modded T50rp for portable use, but I'm going to buy a HD600/HD650 or DT880 600ohm pretty soon. Also own a Shure SE530 and Sony MDR 1000ex. At the moment I do not own an amp or dac to drive high impredance headphones - except of a fiio E17. To gear up a little bit I want to buy a DAC + headphone amp but can't really make a decision. So I searched the forum and found some options for me.

1. O2 + ODAC
As I'm a bit of a DIYer I would love to build my own amp+dac combo. But, heard this combo sounds cold and analytically. I prefere a warm sound signature.

2. Fiio E17 + E09K
As mentioned above I already have a E17 here and so it could be the best bang for the buck. There is also the possibility of getting a Fiio A1 in addition to power my desktop speakers. Some people prefere this combo to O2+ODAC due it's pretty warm sounding.

3. Audio GB NFB 11.32 (used)
Can get my hands on one for about $250 and think the ES9018 to be superior to all other DACs listed her. TCXO upgrade seems worth con

4. Teac UD-H01
Sells for about $200 used here. Red the DAC is great but the amp is only average. But it's a very well built combo.

My limit is $250 and I hope you guys can help me to make a good decision. RCA line out would be good.
Sorry if my english sounds awkward to you people. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 7
What source(s) are you going to be plugged into?

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
ASUS Ultrabook and IPod 5G most of the time.

I'm going to assume the higher impedance headphones are going to be used with the Ultrabook and not really with the iPod.
I would say just to get the Fiio EO9K for now, connect the EO9K/E17 combo to the Ultrabook's USB port,
you can always up grade later, if you ever feel like it.
Maybe get an adapter cable if you want to hook the iPod directly to the E09K.
Does the iPod G5 come with the LOD or newer lighting port?

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your answer. My Ipod comes with LOD and I already got a Fiio L9 LOD here.

Do you rate the E17/E09K combo over the O2+ODAC combo or Audio GB 11? Even if I hadn't already got the E17?

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. My IPod comes with LOD and I already got a Fiio L9 LOD here.

Do you rate the E17/E09K combo over the O2+ODAC combo or Audio GB 11? Even if I hadn't already got the E17?

I would make a "guess" and rate the O2/ODAC over the E17/E09K
For one thing I would guess the ODAC is better then the E17's DAC feature.
The O2 should be better at driving low Ohm headphones then the E09K.
(hopefully no one sees me as being anti-Fiio)

I know zero about the Audio GB 11

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Meier Corda sells the PCStep DAC/Amp combination for ~$280. I don't have any experience with that model, but I own both a StepDance and a Jazz, and think they are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back