Amp/DAC configuration/upgrade time
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
First a rundown of my current setup:

Macbook Pro 2011 >> Nuforce Icon uDAC >> Firestone Cute Beyond >> Audioengine 5 speakers, RE0, Audio Technica AD700, Westone 4

Ipod Touch>> LOD>> GoVibe 5 portable amp >> Westone 4, RE0, AD700

---------

So, I'm looking for help figuring out how to change/upgrade/tweak my setup. I don't know that I noticed much of a change using the Cute Beyond vs. not using it, so maybe something in my chain isn't ideal. I'm looking for some advice and opinions on what route to take to improve my configuration, whether that means selling the Cute Beyond for a different amp, getting some different combo of amp/DAC, etc. What would be a good exchange for the nuforce/Cute Beyond? I'll still use the Go Vibe for portable, but would like something that would benefit all of my sources and headphones.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 6
Looking at your headphone inventory I would first think about upgrading your AD700 - these ar egood starter phones, but not ones that require great amping or anything. Upgrade the phones and see if you hear any improvement - if not it will mean you need to think about your DAC/ Amp combo upgrade.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm wondering if I couldn't possibly replace my Cute Beyond/udac with an ibasso product for an increase in quality. Something like the iBasso D10, perhaps?

Or maybe the Fiio E7 would be good for when I'm using my ipod/mbp with headphones?

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 6
Alright, so I'm narrowing a bit more. E7+E9 combo vs. iBasso D10? They'd perform the same functions, correct? I figure I can use the E7 on the go, and the docked combo for home use and with the Audioengine 5s.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the AD700. You'll get more out of your money if you upgrade your headphones first. AD700 really doesn't benefit from an amp much.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, but I'm also talking about using them with the speakers and fairly expensive IEMs like the Westone 4, CK10 and Fischer DBA-02...I don't want more full-sized headphones. I'm also not real satisfied with the Cute Beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back