Amp and DAC for HE-400s
Jul 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I've been getting some help in the official HE-400 thread, but more opinions are always good.  I have a new pair of HE-400s that I'm using with my LD MK1+ and HM-601 right now, but I and willing to spend $400 total on both an amp and DAC.  So far I've been recommended the LD 1+ as an amp but have no idea about the DAC, any suggestions for these headphones?

EDIT:  My newest question is how the Bifrost and LD MKIII would pair together with these headphones...

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 61
This thread should be interesting to watch. I had to dig up an older thread with basically the same question. If I may add an additional question: what would be a good DAC/Amp that will drive the HE-400 and possibly the HE-500 and/or HD-650. Would you need separate amps for those?

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:
Anyone?  Getting antsy and don't know what any other options are.

Schiit Audio Lyr (good for orthodynamics), Hifiman EF5, Vioelectric V200 (bang for your buck) and finally Burson Audio 160D.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 61
That budget yields the Asgard/Bifrost/ODAC. O2/ODAC/Asgard maybe you stretch the budget for Lyr or try out the Dragonfly...

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:
Schiit Audio Lyr (good for orthodynamics), Hifiman EF5, Vioelectric V200 (bang for your buck) and finally Burson Audio 160D.

If you had the budget for the 160D, or at least the Ds Dac/amp it would be a nice match. 

Try the Matrix m stage (usb ver)

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Every one of those is out of the price range I specified...
Quote:
That budget yields the Asgard/Bifrost/ODAC. O2/ODAC/Asgard maybe you stretch the budget for Lyr or try out the Dragonfly...

What exactly is an ODAC compared to a regular DAC?  I'm not sure what the "O2" is either.  I was under the impression that you should spend more on the amp than the DAC, is that not the case?

EDIT:  Ah, seems the O2 is the ODAC by JDS labs? 

So the O2 is the amp, the ODAC is the DAC...  why did you also recommend the Asgard as an amp along with those two, or am I reading it wrong and you're just listing them but not together?  How would the O2+ODAC compare to the Asgard+Bifrost?  Or should I mix and match them?

Tons of things flying around in my head, but at least I finally have the ODAC thing situated, I never even knew what it was every time I read it here.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Every one of those is out of the price range I specified...

What exactly is an ODAC compared to a regular DAC?  I'm not sure what the "O2" is either.  I was under the impression that you should spend more on the amp than the DAC, is that not the case?

EDIT:  Ah, seems the O2 is the ODAC by JDS labs? 

So the O2 is the amp, the ODAC is the DAC...  why did you also recommend the Asgard as an amp along with those two, or am I reading it wrong and you're just listing them but not together?  How would the O2+ODAC compare to the Asgard+Bifrost?  Or should I mix and match them?

Tons of things flying around in my head, but at least I finally have the ODAC thing situated, I never even knew what it was every time I read it here.

Yep, the objective2 "O2" and ODAC both by JDS. 

I am sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. I ment : Asgard + Bifrost OR ODAC. And ODAC + O2 OR Asgard

The Bifrost has edged out the ODAC. I also found the ODAC fatiguing. But the price is really great, so you may have
to let that weigh in on the choice.

The O2 was better than the Asgard, I did not care too much for the Asgard, O2 brought more details, soundstage, bass.
But again price.

I would tell you to try the Lyr + ODAC route..but that's only if you have ortho's and plan on acquiring more.

Other wise go with the JDS stack. And enjoy the music.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 61
I second the Objective "Combo" suggestion. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:
Yep, the objective2 "O2" and ODAC both by JDS. 

I am sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. I ment : Asgard + Bifrost OR ODAC. And ODAC + O2 OR Asgard

The Bifrost has edged out the ODAC. I also found the ODAC fatiguing. But the price is really great, so you may have
to let that weigh in on the choice.

The O2 was better than the Asgard, I did not care too much for the Asgard, O2 brought more details, soundstage, bass.
But again price.

I would tell you to try the Lyr + ODAC route..but that's only if you have ortho's and plan on acquiring more.

Other wise go with the JDS stack. And enjoy the music.

Thanks.  So I guess initial thoughts are to get the Bifrost + O2 amp.  Maybe I'll convince myself to go for the Lyr, I don't see myself upgrading my HE-400s for quite awhile, but that's still more than I wanted to spend right now.  Plus if you say the ODAC is fatiguing, that's really the only one that I'd be willing to buy since it's pretty cheap.  I'll have to look into some more feedback on those and then figure out what both combos would cost and go from there I guess.

What about the Bifrost + Valhalla?

EDIT:  Never mind, I see they don't recommend that combo for orthos.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:
Thanks.  So I guess initial thoughts are to get the Bifrost + O2 amp.  Maybe I'll convince myself to go for the Lyr, I don't see myself upgrading my HE-400s for quite awhile, but that's still more than I wanted to spend right now.  Plus if you say the ODAC is fatiguing, that's really the only one that I'd be willing to buy since it's pretty cheap.  I'll have to look into some more feedback on those and then figure out what both combos would cost and go from there I guess.

What about the Bifrost + Valhalla?

EDIT:  Never mind, I see they don't recommend that combo for orthos.

I am just one of many who do or don't find it fatiguing. Just offering my two cents.

I'd also add in that another consideration with the Lyr is tube rolling. It sounds pretty meh with stock tubes.
So figure in another $200 for a couple tubes...don't know what you'll like or not like so gotta experiment.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 61
I don't even know what tube rolling means unless it's just swapping them out, that's how new I am to all this :)

Definitely not willing to spend another $200 on top of the Lyr though, so that option is out. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 61
Quote:
I don't even know what tube rolling means unless it's just swapping them out, that's how new I am to all this :)

Definitely not willing to spend another $200 on top of the Lyr though, so that option is out. 

Yep, just swapping them out.

If you're willing to wait a few weeks you may see some Lyrs on the FS forum. Just might get a good deal.
But I can understand not wanting to get into tube rolling, it does get to be a pricey investment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back