AMP and DAC for Beyerdynamic DT 990 (250ohm)
May 5, 2012 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NoMatterWhat

Head-Fier
Hello again, sorry for "spamming" this forum but in my last thread I was asking for advice on AMP and DAC for DT 880 but things changed, I had a possiblity to listen to both 990 and 880 and decided on DT 990 (250 ohm). I was testing them both on MF M1 but it's not in my budget but it sounds great. I will be buying DT 990 very shortly as i spotted a good occasion for low price.

So to make those headphones shine I need a solid AMP and DAC. I have been reading a lot lately about simmilar topics but most of them are pretty old and most recommendations go for Meier Arietta, Cantante and many others mainly Meier's  that are no longer available to buy.
My first queston is what AMP that is now available would be good with them, I heard a lot recommendations for LD MKIII and M-Stage, Bellari HA540 and more, which is better/ Tube or SS ?

Also, I need to buy a solid DAC and there aren't many topics about DACs for DT 990 so I can only throw some general good DACs in that price range, HRT MSII, MF V-DAC II, these are what I noticed most preffered, what is your opinion, what DAC would suit to that setup?
My budget is more or less 400 $ for both DAC and AMP. My music tastes are : reggae, rap, electronica, rock .

Thank you for your understanding.

May 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 11
The Yulong D100, Nuforce HDP,  Mini i + Matrix M Stage are recommended for these headphones.

May 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 11
Low cost way of driving the DT 990 250-Ohm
A DAC Destroyer (USB DAC) can sell for as little as $50 on eBay.
There are lots of low cost single tube headphone amplifiers solid on eBay, ships from China, takes 10 days
Price are from $50 to $130
The Indeed EH 6922 MKII sells for around $80 to $90.
Total under $150.

May 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Maybe thare are and they are probably good for thier price but my budget is around 400 $ for AMP and DAC so I think that I can buy better equipement for 400$ rather then 150$.

I would probably go for Yulong D100 but with shipping and (maybe taxes) the overall cost exceeds my budget, maybe I will find someone selling it used but as for present I need to look for something different. Give me some advices guys, I want to become a HI-Fier :D

My big problem is also the choice of version for DT 990, whether 250 ohm or 600 ohm. I have been listening to both on M1 HPA as AMP and I much more preffered the sound of 250 ohm. Is it the solid state amp that makes 600 ohm sound worse or it is just my prefference. Im asking because most people buy 600 ohm but I think that for 600 ohm you need AMP for 500 $ alone, correct me if I'm wrong.

May 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Maybe there are and they are probably good for their price but my budget is around 400 $ for AMP and DAC so I think that I can buy better equipement for 400$ rather then 150$.
I would probably go for Yulong D100 but with shipping and (maybe taxes) the overall cost exceeds my budget, maybe I will find someone selling it used but as for present I need to look for something different. Give me some advices guys, I want to become a HI-Fier :D
My big problem is also the choice of version for DT 990, whether 250 ohm or 600 ohm. I have been listening to both on M1 HPA as AMP and I much more prefered the sound of 250 ohm. Is it the solid state amp that makes 600 ohm sound worse or it is just my preference. I'm asking because most people buy 600 ohm but I think that for 600 ohm you need AMP for 500 $ alone, correct me if I'm wrong.

My $70 Muse single tube amplifier can drive my AKG K240 Monitor 600-Ohm headphones.
The higher the Ohm the more voltage you need, so if for some weird reason (guessing) the M1 HPA is not providing enough voltage, the 600-Ohm would not sound it's best.
I really doubt the amp, being solid state is the problem, there are $250 solid state amp. that power 600-Ohm headphones just fine.

May 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess that my choice of 250 ohm version was.made because of wether my music preference which favours 250 ohms or the 600 ohm headphones which I tested not being as burned in as the 250 ohm version.
I have two quite newbie questions but very important for me and I would greatly appreciate if you could answer them for me.
The first is whether it matters if the amp just has have enough power to drive headphones or it also matters if the amp has good signature and suits the headphones?
The second one, does the dac has to suit the headphone or It can be any good dac in my price range?

May 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I guess that my choice of 250 ohm version was.made because of wether my music preference which favours 250 ohms or the 600 ohm headphones which I tested not being as burned in as the 250 ohm version.
I have two quite newbie questions but very important for me and I would greatly appreciate if you could answer them for me.
The first is whether it matters if the amp just has have enough power to drive headphones or it also matters if the amp has good signature and suits the headphones?
The second one, does the DAC has to suit the headphone or It can be any good DAC in my price range?

Quality of the parts used in the amplifier and the design of the amplifier affect the amplifiers ability to power headphones.
There are headphone amplifiers rated up to 600-Ohms, but do a poor job of driving 25-Ohm headphones, because of the amps design.
The two main things (but not only) that affect the amplifiers ability to drive headphones is voltage and current.
The amplifiers specs make a good reference, but need to double check with users that have tried them and with what headphones.
The better the DAC, the better (clearer) the sound. The DAC and headphones have no direct affect between each other (the amplifier is between them).
Some DACs can power low ohm headphones on their own.

May 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 11
So reffering to amp it occurs that each amp has it's own sound signature and can pair well with one headphones and sound awful with others?
Thank you for the responses you've written so far.
Now it's clear for me that I can choose any recommended dac in my budget.

May 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
So reffering to amp it occurs that each amp has it's own sound signature and can pair well with one headphones and sound awful with others?
Thank you for the responses you've written so far.
Now it's clear for me that I can choose any recommended DAC in my budget.

In the past few months I've used about five different types of headphone amplifiers,
Yamaha receiver, STX & DG sound cards, Fiio E11, Muse single tube amp.
Most of my headphone will work at least decently with all the amps.

So for a DAC is just how much your willing to spend.

May 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm using mine with a Yulong U100 and I like it very well. I haven't been around much on this forum lately so I'm not up to date but mine sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back