American Express Commercial
Feb 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eagle Eye

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me who it is playing on the new American Express Commercial that is on television all the time. It sounds like a Cello but I do not know who it is. I guess this is kinda weird but did not know who else to ask.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 6
It's J.S. Bach's Prelude from his Cello Suite No. 1 in G major. I think it is performed Burkhart although Yo-Yo Ma's rendition is, in my humble opinion, better. I hope this helps.

EDIT: After a quick search, I can confirm it is Robert Burkhart on the cello- yet my assessment concerning him and Yo-Yo Ma still holds.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks so much for the information. I am now off to listen to more of this type of music. I would welcome any recommendations of music in this genre you may know. I think I have opened up a new type of music to delve into. I find this type of music mesmerizing to say the least. It is so relaxing. I'll stop now because I am probably boring the entire site, LOL.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 6
If you enjoy this, I can't help but believe you'd enjoy all six Bach cello suites.. probably even his four lute suites (one of which is simply transcribed from his fifth cello suit), his violin partitas.. from there, you can explore his keyboard works, namely the Art of the Fugue, Well-Tempered Clavier and the six-part fugue from The Musical Offering. You could then appreciate his concertos, especially his six Brandenburg Concertos... then there's his organ works..... yes, you understand, this is just to get started...and just J.S. Bach! (admittedly, my favorite composer..)

Have fun!!

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Just ordered the six Bach cello suites by Yo Yo Ma at Amazon. I guess I will start there and then move into keyboard works. Thanks so much for the help.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 6
i love this commercial. so clever.
so, now we know what the cello is.
but just as important, what kind of headphones are those???
biggrin.gif

YouTube - American Express: Don't Take Chances. Take Charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back