AME Custom: Flagships Gaia, Raven Impressions Thread
May 11, 2024 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trance_Gott

Headphoneus Supremus
AME Custom (Acoustic Mastered Engineering) is a South Korean IEM manufacturer that I only came across very late. But better late than never, as it turned out in the end. I couldn't find a thread about AME Custom's flagship models here, so I opened my own. So far you can find very little here about AME Custom. But wrongly in my opinion. The two flagship models Gaia and Raven are fantastic sounding IEMs and play on an absolute world class level. Not only the sound, but also the workmanship and the materials used are absolutely top class.

AME Custom was not created overnight, but years ago was one of the first manufacturers to concentrate on the production of IEMs with EST drivers. And these are also used in the Gaia and Raven. The primary goal at AME Custom is perfect tuning.

I am currently working on a detailed review of the Gaia which I will publish here shortly. This will be followed by sound impressions of the Raven and the differences between Gaia and Raven. Of course, I'm also looking forward to other impressions of the flagship models from AME Custom. In the Watercooler thread some have already written something about the models. Maybe we can collect all these impressions here in this thread.

Specifications

Gaia

Driver(All Sonion Driver) : 4EST 6BA 1DD total 11Driver
Frequency Response : 20hz ~ 70Khz
Sensitivity : 100dB(1Khz)
Impedance : 14Ω ⓐ 1Khz (DCR 87Ω )
Crossover network : 4Way Crossover network

https://www.ame-custom.com/Premium-earphones/view/4369481

DSC_0213.JPG

Raven

Driver(All Sonion Driver) : 4EST driver + 8BA Driver
Frequency Response : 20hz ~ 70Khz
Sensitivity : 100dB(1Khz)
Impedance : 14Ω ⓐ 1Khz (DCR 80Ω )
Crossover network : 4Way Crossover network

https://www.ame-custom.com/Premium-earphones/view/4369483

May 11, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 6
The Gaia is one of the flagship IEMs from the South Korean manufacturer AME Custom (Acoustic Mastered Engineering). Together with the Raven model, the Gaia represents the top class of multi-year developments from AME Custom. While the Raven is a hybrid with BA and EST drivers, the Gaia also uses a DD driver for the bass range. In terms of price, both are absolutely identical and currently have a retail price of 3200 USD.

DSC_0211.JPG
DSC_0212.JPG

Each model is meticulously crafted by hand using the highest quality and grade of wood. This selection took a total of 2 years to find. There are a total of six different colors to choose from. My review model is the color "Yellow Green". I was amazed when I held the Gaia in my hand for the first time. I'll say this much for now!

The Gaia has a total of 11 drivers. A Graphene DD driver in size 8mm is used for the bass range. There are also 6 BA drivers from Sonion and 4 EST drivers for the treble range. AME Custom's goal during the 3 years of sound tuning was to deliver the ultimate experience with rich, but not excessive bass together with an ultra high frequency range of the absolute top class. The Gaia is available in two different tunings for the Korean market and for the US market. The latter corresponds to my review model and is tuned with a slightly stronger bass range. As the name AME implies, sound tuning is the primary goal of the South Korean manufacturer. What good are advertising promises with lots of drivers and huge crossover networks if the most important thing, and that is the tuning, is not perfect! The Gaia is one of the IEMs that doesn't make any mistakes in this discipline!

In the past, AME Custom was one of the first manufacturers to experiment with EST drivers and now has several years of experience in this field. And the high frequency range that the Gaia produces is really something! However, I don't want to give too much away just yet and would first like to go into the other technical features.

The 2-pin socket is recessed into the IEM housing, ensuring a very secure connection without bending or breaking the connector pins. A 4-way crossover network ensures the interaction of all drivers. The impedance of the Gaia is 14 ohms.

AME Custom did not want to make any compromises with the supplied cable, which is called Old & Wise, and I have rarely experienced the quality delivered by a manufacturer. The cable with a 4.4 mm plug is made of a platinum, gold and silver alloy and is manufactured in Taiwan using the OCC process. It was specially developed for the Gaia and Raven models to offer maximum sound quality but also something for the eye. It is incredibly well made, very soft and produces no microphonic effects. The plug and splitter are a real feast for the eyes and the color matches the design of the IEM wonderfully. In terms of sound, it has nothing to hide from any cable I know. A short test with my Lavricables Grand Silver IEM made me want to go straight back to the delivery cable because, as they say, it fits the Gaia like a glove. Incidentally, this cable can be purchased separately for a price of 1240 USD!

DSC_0213.JPG
DSC_0214.JPG
DSC_0216.JPG

The package includes a metal warranty card with serial number, a round leather case (similar to the 64 Audio case), a cleaning brush, a cleaning cloth, the 4.4mm Old & Wise cable and a range of different eartips (SpinFit, Comply and AME's own). By the way, AME's own blue eartips are really good in terms of comfort and sound. For the review, I used these together with the AZLA Clears and JVC SpiralDots. In terms of sound, they are right in between the other two. Not quite as clear and airy as the AZLA Clears, but also not as bassy and warm as the SpiralDots.

The design and workmanship of the Gaia is absolutely top class and for me is easily on a par with a UM Multiverse Mentor. In my opinion, the Gaia looks even better than my blue Multiverse Mentor. This makes the Gaia one of the best looking and best finished IEMs I know. When I consider this cable and this IEM paired with the sound (yes, I'll get to that in a minute), the price of 3200 USD is absolutely fair considering the competition! With 7 drivers, it is of course slightly smaller in size than a Multiverse Mentor and is therefore more comfortable to wear. The universal shape fits me wonderfully and it is easy to wear during longer listening sessions. AME Custom even offers custom-made models for those who have problems with universal IEMs.

DSC_0217.JPG

My reference chain consisting of iBasso DX320 MAX Ti and iBasso PB5 is used for the listening test. I also used the FiiO M15s, once separately and once in combination with the PB5. At 14 ohms, the Gaia is a little harder to drive than a Fourte Blanc, for example. However, I still barely get above gain level 1 of the DX320 MAX Ti or low gain of the M15s.

The Gaia is a technical firework and plays in the highest realms of the IEM market in terms of cleanliness and resolution! Tonally, we are dealing with a rather bright W shape IEM. The bass range is slightly boosted. The ratio of lower mids to upper mids ensures a very transparent mid-range. It is neither too thin nor does it have too much body, as is the case with a Multiverse Mentor, for example. Thanks to this tuning in the mids and the technically very clean sound image, it separates extremely well and also sounds very airy (reminds me a little of the Fir Audio Radon6). The resulting greater distance between the instruments ensures a very wide stage image on a par with the Multiverse Mentor, but without reaching its depth. What always amazes me when I switch to the Multiverse Mentor is how cleanly the Gaia plays. I always expose other IEMs because they don't technically achieve such a clean reproduction as the Multiverse Mentor. But that's not the case with the Gaia!

But let's get to the most outstanding feature of the Gaia and that is definitely the treble range. You can definitely hear that AME Custom was one of the first on the market with EST drivers. The tuning is absolutely brilliant. I know of no other IEM that is so transparent (almost tangible) with resolution at the very highest level. But in such a way that it is not annoying at any time! This is a successful treble tuning and even the Multiverse Mentor can't keep up with it! Unfortunately, I don't know the Elysium Anni 23. It is also said to have a great treble range. When I compare the frequency ranges of the two, they are actually very close to each other.

The bass range with the Graphene DD driver goes down ultra-low and offers very good audibility. But what convinces me the most is the speed it displays. Quick and fast like a BA driver, but with the texture and slam of a DD driver. There is also no emphasis in the midbass or anything similar. The tuning is certainly not designed for maximum punch, but for quality. Fortunately, the Gaia punches enough and is a veritable choice for metal or rock. The Multiverse Mentor pumps a more bloated bass into the eardrum, which doesn't quite match the speed and audibility of the Gaia. This is always a double-edged sword in bass tuning and here you have to decide between the ratio of audibility and quantity. Technically speaking, the BA bass of the Multiverse Mentor is certainly not slower than the DD bass of the Gaia if you use the EQ, but it sounds that way in the end because the moving bass volume is simply even stronger. However, the Multiverse Mentor is also one of the IEMs with a very pronounced bass range. In terms of quantity, the Gaia is more comparable to a U12t M15 module or Cadenza 12.

Tonally, the AZLA Clears achieve maximum transparency and audibility. For me, together with the AME blue eartips, they are the very first choice for eartips. If you like it a little warmer, you can use the SpiralDots. For me personally, however, the incredible transparency in the treble is then lost somewhat, but the Gaia gains a little more punch. But in my opinion, it has enough with the other two eartips. After the review, I continue to use the AME blue eartips, simply perfectly dosed!

The combination of the DX320 MAX Ti with the PB5 is a dream combination in terms of naturalness and tonality. This combination lends instruments and voices an authenticity that you don't miss a thing. It also presents the stage even wider and deeper than the FiiO M15s does. However, when paired with the PB5, the magic in the mids is ignited. But not quite as pronounced as with the iBasso DAP flagship.

I think AME Custom has appeared far too rarely on the radar of the audiophile IEM community. And wrongly so, in my opinion! I also discovered the manufacturer very late. But better late than never! The Gaia is an insanely good-sounding IEM with a finish I've never seen better. The whole thing is enhanced by a cable, which costs 1240 USD individually and is then offered in a package of 3200 USD. The Gaia is an endgame IEM that is suitable for every genre. Hats off, AME Custom!

Positive:

Amazing technical features
Ultra-clean sound
Very coherent tuning
Best treble range I know of
Very fast and punchy DD bass range
Above-average large and airy stage imaging
Absolutely fantastic workmanship and one of the most beautiful IEMs

Negative:

Nothing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread