Amazon sucks now
Aug 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #61 of 76
I think it's great that amazon offers both free shipping for people who prefer low cost, low service options and other options as well. Amazon Prime is incentive enough for me to often pay more to buy from amazon than other suppliers.

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's great that amazon offers both free shipping for people who prefer low cost, low service options and other options as well. Amazon Prime is incentive enough for me to often pay more to buy from amazon than other suppliers.

Totally agree with your train of thought there. Spot on.

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Totally agree with you, I can't justify amazon prime w/ my shopping volumes however their price coupled with free shipping offer + 3% cashback using amazon visa card entice me more to order with them than any other merchant. I know what to expect when I order with free shipping and most of the time, my orders arrived in less than 2 weeks. They also provide free returns if the mistake is on their side.
My other favourite store, Newegg, is way behind amazon's service. Newegg charged for shipping and unlike amazon, it did not reimburse your shipping fee for DOA item. Sometimes I feel like taking a gamble ordering with newegg since if you got a DOA item, the return shipping fee will wipe out the price difference with local stores.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #64 of 76
The hell with it. I just cancelled the order. Got to take a stand sometime.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

They never offered free 2nd day shipping. They offered free "we'll get it to you when we get it to you" shipping, and they still do.

That's the big difference then between Amazon in the USA and Germany.

As said before, in Germany you got same-day shipping with orders made until 3-4pm in the past, which was also effectively over night shipping. Not because it was a special express service on Amazon's side, but because in Germany parcels normaly don't take longer than one night to reach you (smaller country).
Free shipping was, and still is on all orders over 20€, so there's no real free vs. standard here.

Then they started to offer overnight (6€) and overnight express (13€, delivery before 12am). And normal orders were delayed one day in shipping, meaning it took 2 instead of 1 day to get your stuff. So from one day to the other they charged 6€ for a service which was free before.

So here in Germany they got much worse for real, especially since getting orders in 1 day from other retailers without being charged extra isn't all that uncommon...

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the big difference then between Amazon in the USA and Germany.

As said before, in Germany you got same-day shipping with orders made until 3-4pm in the past, which was also effectively over night shipping. Not because it was a special express service on Amazon's side, but because in Germany parcels normaly don't take longer than one night to reach you (smaller country).
Free shipping was, and still is on all orders over 20€, so there's no real free vs. standard here.

although i dont know about the service, i dont really buy the smaller country necessarily mean quicker shipping. i mean the UK is TINY compared to both germany, and usa, and even then overnight shipping is not really an option. it almost always takes atleast 1 day.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #68 of 76
The bigger a company gets, the more they have to make use of efficiencies where they find them. Just factor time and shipping into your value considerations, and make decisions based on that.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although i dont know about the service, i dont really buy the smaller country necessarily mean quicker shipping. i mean the UK is TINY compared to both germany, and usa, and even then overnight shipping is not really an option. it almost always takes atleast 1 day.

I guess that means more power to the "Deutsche Post"
biggrin.gif

But that's then really more up to the individual service in your country if you get your stuff in one day or not, given a country's size.

Because that size matters in that instance is not too far fetched, i think. After all the distance from New York to LA is still ca. 100km more than from Lisbon to Moscow...

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #71 of 76
Yeah, shipping delay has gotten crappy as of late. Then again I usually order things and try to forget about them so I am pleasantly surprised when they come. Also you can't complain about super saver free shipping.

The amazon prime free trial I had was pretty nice. But I don't think I will ever pay for it.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #72 of 76
yeah, amazon has been crapping on my life via letting me purchase items stated as in stock, and me not having them for months

LOTS of items listed as in stock.

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #74 of 76
If Amazon is that bad why not taking the merchandise from other vendors, they have plenty of private sales there???

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #75 of 76
I've sort of settled on the slow shipping everywhere. I'm just more patient about stuff I don't need right away. Rarely do I need something right away that I can't pick up locally.

What annoys me about Amazon is minor but enough to make me look elsewhere -- that is, I don't like their million options from millions of sellers. Products are double listed and it's sometimes confusing as to what's coming from where and what exactly you're buying.

Is there some kind of Merchant Off filter? Then I could just have Amazon, which is what I want a lot of times. I'm not saying Marketplace is a bad thing (I prefer it to eBay), but sometimes (like when buying gifts), I just want the easiest experience possible. Amazon is far from the easiest since their site is so friggin' busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back