Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #676 of 920
I almost think they charge way too much for having such an atrocious UI. Kind of pathetic. But the sound is great, grr.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #677 of 920
So after playing around with JRiver a few days - Amarra ain't goin' nowhere! Arggg, grobble-grobble.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #678 of 920
No good huh?  Back when I was using a PC I had both Foobar and JRiver.  They were decent.  When I switched to Mac everyone highly recommended Amarra and there was a $99 sale (normally $189).  Never tried JRiver with Mac but the organization and interface for JRiver is top notch.  Will be interesting to see how Amarra evolves with its interface.

Anybody using the uber expensive Symphony or used the demo version? 

Quote:
  So after playing around with JRiver a few days - Amarra ain't goin' nowhere! Arggg, grobble-grobble.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #679 of 920
No good huh?  Back when I was using a PC I had both Foobar and JRiver.  They were decent.  When I switched to Mac everyone highly recommended Amarra and there was a $99 sale (normally $189).  Never tried JRiver with Mac but the organization and interface for JRiver is top notch.  Will be interesting to see how Amarra evolves with its interface.

The UI is great - it's a smart layout, the response time is fast per loading tracks, etc.
I was always impressed with JRiver on Windows, but this just didn't do it for me.
The kicker - really Amarra is just that much better sounding to me, so I'll live with the fuss.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #680 of 920

The UI is great - it's a smart layout, the response time is fast per loading tracks, etc.
I was always impressed with JRiver on Windows, but this just didn't do it for me.
The kicker - really Amarra is just that much better sounding to me, so I'll live with the fuss.

I am new to trying these apps, as a departure from itunes. I didn't really expect these apps to actually sound much different - thought it they would differentiate on UI and features.   but I do agree, that Amarra seems to sound better,  and yes... arrgghh (since I don't like their UI)

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #681 of 920
I have given up on JRiver for Mac for now. I use it on my PC but it is not ready for prime time on the Mac yet. Audirvana + does a nice job with DSD and has it's own flavor vs Amarra. Overall I still prefer Amarra. I am anxious to hear their DSD implementation from Version 3.0 It should be out soon.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #685 of 920

I just downloaded the trial of Amarra 2.6. and am expecting to mostly play FLAC files.  I am really surprised that it does not provide a user interface that make it easy search by  album, artist etc more like iTunes or other  music server software.  It seems very limited and kind of rudimentary.   Am I missing something ?   

The user interface that make it easy search by  album, artist etc more like iTunes IS iTunes, so use MAX to convert your FLAC to ALAC?

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #686 of 920

The user interface that make it easy search by  album, artist etc more like iTunes IS iTunes, so use MAX to convert your FLAC to ALAC?

Yes, I'm starting to figure that out.  so as I am about to start ripping CDs  I may rip (using XLD) to both FLAC and AIFF for iTunes.  That way if I switch to a different player later, I won't have to re-rip.  

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #687 of 920

Yes, I'm starting to figure that out.  so as I am about to start ripping CDs  I may rip (using XLD) to both FLAC and AIFF for iTunes.  That way if I switch to a different player later, I won't have to re-rip.  

Yeah, if storage space isn't an issue AIFF is probably a better universal format for using in iTune AND other music players than ALAC.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #688 of 920
I just swung by their site, and most of their links are 404'd. But of course their store page is still up. Anybody know what's up with that?

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #689 of 920
The new 3.0 is now out.  I haven't figured out how to buy upgrade from 2.6.  I just downloaded demo and tried the 15 day evaluation. Sent an email asking about how to upgrade.

Not sure what all is new.  I can now drag and drop an iTunes album cover in one try.  The playlist box follows the top box much better, however when i reopen, it's back to original size.  Think the file load up a little quicker.  For most, part other than new blue color, at lot of the other interfaces look the same.  Not sure even worth $30 upgrade fee since I can continue to use 2.6.

I also did a quick compare to Audirvana + and prefer the sound of Amarra.  More drum impact and a sweeter sound.  I also try to convince myself I like Audirvana + better because the interface and quick load times are so much better, but falls slightly short in sound.  I haven't compared 2.6 to 3.0 yet. 

edit: got email back, you just your serial # in the coupon code on the buy page.  I also on quick back and forth between 2.6 and 3.0, it sounds a little more dynamic and clearer. I like sound of 3.0 better.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #690 of 920
I literally just got an email with the upgrade link.  Cost for those of us upgrading is $29.99.  Updating later on will cost $49.99.  Seems like a no-brainer even just for the DSD playback.

Quote:
  The new 3.0 is now out.  I haven't figured out how to buy upgrade from 2.6.  I just downloaded demo and tried the 15 day evaluation. Sent an email asking about how to upgrade.

Not sure what all is new.  I can now drag and drop an iTunes album cover in one try.  The playlist box follows the top box much better, however when i reopen, it's back to original size.  Think the file load up a little quicker.  For most, part other than new blue color, at lot of the other interfaces look the same.  Not sure even worth $30 upgrade fee since I can continue to use 2.6.

I also did a quick compare to Audirvana + and prefer the sound of Amarra.  More drum impact and a sweeter sound.  I also try to convince myself I like Audirvana + better because the interface and quick load times are so much better, but falls slightly short in sound.  I haven't compared 2.6 to 3.0 yet. 

edit: got email back, you just your serial # in the coupon code on the buy page.  I also on quick back and forth between 2.6 and 3.0, it sounds a little more dynamic and clearer. I like sound of 3.0 better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back