Am I the only one who thinks the ATH-M50 are seriously overrated?
Dec 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Can't speak for anybody else but me but I am seriously impressed with what you get for a list price of $149 and I bought at around $100 at amazon.

I have quite a headphone collection (Sennheiser HD598, HD239, CX880, HD25-1, Ultrasone Pro 750, Beyerdynamic DT880, Yamaha HPH-200, Koss ProDJ100, Shure SH440, SE210, Ultimate Ears 500, some Superluxi and others).

I just last week got the ATH-M50 and I am impressed. If you want one headphone that is like the swiss army knife of headphones, I would recommend the ATH-M50. 

HOWEVER: Depending on your DAC and Amp you can get very mixed results. I might be the minority but I can hear the differences between the DACs with the ATH-M50 the most. Which I find weird. But it is what it is.

So in my book, not overrated, they deserve the praise. As an all-around ok headphone and for the money, I think they are great. Not my best headphones but solid performers. Sure, they are not the most refined in some areas but hey, $100...

I listen via nuForce icon HDP, Schiit Valhalla, Schiit Asgard, Griffin Powerwave, Muse Audio DAC in various combinations.

cheers,
K

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Just realised there is a thread already discussing this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/548578/m50s-overrated/885

We can close this thread then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back