Am I expecting too much or should I be this disappointed? Sony WH-1000XM5
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 23
After asking about the planars in the other thread, I thought I'd just go with the Sony's since I can use them with my phone at work as well as with other BT sources I have.

I'm flat out... disappointed and vastly underwhelmed with their sound quality.

I did the ear optimization so I could do the fancy Tidal optimization (since I have an account), I went in and changed the EQ on the app on my phone...

The things just sound muddy in the high and mids! The best I could get was with the "Excited" EQ on the App. Even then, it wasn't as clear at the top end as I was expecting. The experience is flat-out underwhelming.

Using the HEL 2e with my ATH-M50x I bought... 4 years ago? is a vastly superior listening experience to using the WH-1000XM5. Using the Peace EQ with the High and Bass Boost on Tidal through the Hel 2e is one of the most sublime listening experiences I've had. It's crystal clear, delicate when it needs to be, and the bass is resonant and punchy, the soundstage is pleasantly wide, but not super-wide since they're closed back. And the Hel 2e can crank these things! Evanesence's 2021 album "The Bitter Truth" is just... impeccable to my ears.

I mean, I don't think I was expecting it to sound as good (or should?), but the difference is so stark that I think I'm going to have to return the XM5s.

Is BT really so inferior or are my expectations the problem??
No matter how much money you throw at a HP, if you expect to be 'blown away,' IME you'll likely be disappointed.

With that being said, I don't think typical headfier would buy the XM5 for the sound quality. I for one bought it for industry leading ANC and for portability/BT/travel use. I think Sony is still at the top and a good all-rounder with exceptional noise cancelling and good mic/call quality.

M50x is quite terrible IMO for sound and M70x is much more balanced IME.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 23
Well, some good news is I can use the USB-C cable to plug into my phone and then plug the other end into the Hel USB input, and then plug my headphones into the Hel. So, if I REALLY wanted to, I could take the Hel and use it with my phone at work to listen to Tidal. Seems overly complicated just to listen to music at work. The music is clearer than the XM5s, but the low-end is really lacking.

Bad news is the music doesn't have the Peace EQ, so it's pretty uninspiring on the bass front. Rammstein's "Angst" really misses that punch of the EQ.

EDIT: This all seems to be too much of a hassle for the occasional listen at work. I think I'll either need to accept the XM5s as they are or just forgo the work listening experience. I wouldn't do it that much anyway.

I do appreciate your folks input though - thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 23
Well, some good news is I can use the USB-C cable to plug into my phone and then plug the other end into the Hel USB input, and then plug my headphones into the Hel. So, if I REALLY wanted to, I could take the Hel and use it with my phone at work to listen to Tidal. Seems overly complicated just to listen to music at work. The music is clearer than the XM5s, but the low-end is really lacking.

Bad news is the music doesn't have the Peace EQ, so it's pretty uninspiring on the bass front. Rammstein's "Angst" really misses that punch of the EQ.
That does seem like a complicated way to listen to music. At that point, I would just listen to any music during work and focus more on "critical listening" at home. Most people who listen with amps/DACs at work have a separate system for home. Since you have Peace EQ, one idea I would look into is Auto EQ on the application. It is just a fun feature that EQs it to Harman, usually with Jakko's or Crin's measurements

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 23
Sorry, but my previous post isn't necessarily applicable for all Sony products. Only for most of its over-ear closed-back headphones. This house sound is, I'm afraid to tell you, is typified by my circa-1998 production model of my now-in-storage MDR-7509: The upper bass (above 100 Hz) is not only boosted, but its shelf also bleeds too far into the lower midrange (250-300 Hz). There is a big scoop out at 300 to 500 Hz, while there is another response hump centered around 600 Hz (this results in a honky sound character). And unfortunately, Sony has all too frequently let the upper half of the audible frequency spectrum fall wherever they may (in particular, Sony's headphone designers simply walk away from the upper mids and the highs). No wonder why the highs in the Sony over-ear closed headphones are not only lacking technical performance potential, but are also inconsistent in that department.

By the way, I also don't care for the Audio Technica M50x. The upper bass boost is much too similar (though not identical) to the Sony over-ears, while its highs are not only boosted too far above what my ideal treble-boost target, they are also spiky and uneven as well. I have listened to much better over-ear closed headphones than either the Sony WH-1000 series or the Audio-Technicas. But while my current WH-1000XM4 does serve its purpose, my M50x just sits there doing nothing right now.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 23
After asking about the planars in the other thread, I thought I'd just go with the Sony's since I can use them with my phone at work as well as with other BT sources I have.

I'm flat out... disappointed and vastly underwhelmed with their sound quality.

I did the ear optimization so I could do the fancy Tidal optimization (since I have an account), I went in and changed the EQ on the app on my phone...

The things just sound muddy in the high and mids! The best I could get was with the "Excited" EQ on the App. Even then, it wasn't as clear at the top end as I was expecting. The experience is flat-out underwhelming.

Using the HEL 2e with my ATH-M50x I bought... 4 years ago? is a vastly superior listening experience to using the WH-1000XM5. Using the Peace EQ with the High and Bass Boost on Tidal through the Hel 2e is one of the most sublime listening experiences I've had. It's crystal clear, delicate when it needs to be, and the bass is resonant and punchy, the soundstage is pleasantly wide, but not super-wide since they're closed back. And the Hel 2e can crank these things! Evanesence's 2021 album "The Bitter Truth" is just... impeccable to my ears.

I mean, I don't think I was expecting it to sound as good (or should?), but the difference is so stark that I think I'm going to have to return the XM5s.

Is BT really so inferior or are my expectations the problem??
No BT is not so inferior or the bottleneck here. Problem is the sound quality and tuning of the Sonys. They are indeed superb for ANC, but there are many other BT cans out there if you are willing to sacrifice some ANC for better sound. Why not try e g Sennheiser Momentum 4, B&W PX7s2 (same price category), Shure Aonic 50 (cheaper) or B&W PX8 or Focal Bathys (more expensive)?

There is a big difference between all these headphones and I would pick all of them above Sony XM if ANC wasnt a priority.

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 23
XM2 were great, especially on the 1st FW. I "upgraded" to XM3 and apart from comfort, really didn't like them. Bass just ended up way too blown with no offset up top. That was the last set I had. Believe the 4's are maybe tuned slightly better than 3, not even been following 5 to know how they've progressed. I'd probably opt for px8 or bose now tbh.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 23
I heard an earlier version - XM3 I think it was - and it sounded like it was broken. Extremely muddy, recessed mids, highs that are both sharp and undefined, just plain bad. I didn't mess around with EQ though, generally the rule with headphones is that they sound bad without EQ and at least decent once you even out the FR. Still, I'm not surprised you had this reaction.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 23
I heard an earlier version - XM3 I think it was - and it sounded like it was broken. Extremely muddy, recessed mids, highs that are both sharp and undefined, just plain bad. I didn't mess around with EQ though, generally the rule with headphones is that they sound bad without EQ and at least decent once you even out the FR. Still, I'm not surprised you had this reaction.
I own the XM3 (mainly for its comfort on long flights & ANC capabilities) and it is indeed not a great sounding headphone. It offers a quite flexible in-app EQ though so you can sort out the worst parts. Still, It is to my ears better than Bose. Will probably get rid of my Sonys as soon as I can try the APP2 on a flight and verify that they are as good people say they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back