Am I expecting too much or should I be this disappointed? Sony WH-1000XM5
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

CybrSlydr

New Head-Fier
After asking about the planars in the other thread, I thought I'd just go with the Sony's since I can use them with my phone at work as well as with other BT sources I have.

I'm flat out... disappointed and vastly underwhelmed with their sound quality.

I did the ear optimization so I could do the fancy Tidal optimization (since I have an account), I went in and changed the EQ on the app on my phone...

The things just sound muddy in the high and mids! The best I could get was with the "Excited" EQ on the App. Even then, it wasn't as clear at the top end as I was expecting. The experience is flat-out underwhelming.

Using the HEL 2e with my ATH-M50x I bought... 4 years ago? is a vastly superior listening experience to using the WH-1000XM5. Using the Peace EQ with the High and Bass Boost on Tidal through the Hel 2e is one of the most sublime listening experiences I've had. It's crystal clear, delicate when it needs to be, and the bass is resonant and punchy, the soundstage is pleasantly wide, but not super-wide since they're closed back. And the Hel 2e can crank these things! Evanesence's 2021 album "The Bitter Truth" is just... impeccable to my ears.

I mean, I don't think I was expecting it to sound as good (or should?), but the difference is so stark that I think I'm going to have to return the XM5s.

Is BT really so inferior or are my expectations the problem??

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 23
The biggest reason why it sound like it is, is because these BT headphones are made to impress the general public. And most people like more bass in their headphones as it implies better sound quality.

Most BT headphones are bassy/warm. That includes XM5, momentum 4, PX7 etc.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 23
After asking about the planars in the other thread, I thought I'd just go with the Sony's since I can use them with my phone at work as well as with other BT sources I have.

I did the ear optimization so I could do the fancy Tidal optimization (since I have an account), I went in and changed the EQ on the app on my phone...

The things just sound muddy in the high and mids! The best I could get was with the "Excited" EQ on the App. Even then, it wasn't as clear at the top end as I was expecting. The experience is flat-out underwhelming.

Using the HEL 2e with my ATH-M50x I bought... 4 years ago? is a vastly superior listening experience to using the WH-1000XM5. Using the Peace EQ with the High and Bass Boost on Tidal through the Hel 2e is one of the most sublime listening experiences I've had. It's crystal clear, delicate when it needs to be, and the bass is resonant and punchy, the soundstage is pleasantly wide, but not super-wide since they're closed back. And the Hel 2e can crank these things! Evanesence's 2021 album "The Bitter Truth" is just... impeccable to my ears.

I mean, I don't think I was expecting it to sound as good (or should?), but the difference is so stark that I think I'm going to have to return the XM5s.

I don't have the XM5, but had the same thought when I received the XM3 years ago. At that time, I had the 58X. I thought the bass was too overwhelming, the detail subpar, and staging to be meh. I used the native app to eq clear bass -5 and boost the 16k by 6-10 dB (also messed with the other bands but I forgot which and by how much). They sounded almost mediocre but the detail still wasn't there.

I replaced them with the Galaxy Buds Pro which sounds decent compared to IEMs. I have no further experience with expensive Bluetooth cans. I think it is a combination of Bluetooth, being closed-back, and a distaste of the tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 23

It’s not BT per se. It’s that you just do not like the Sony house sound, which boosts the mid- and upper bass that bleeds too far into the lower mids, while leaving much of the midrange more scooped out than usual.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 23
I don't have the XM5, but had the same thought when I received the XM3 years ago. At that time, I had the 58X. I thought the bass was too overwhelming, the detail subpar, and staging to be meh. I used the native app to eq clear bass -5 and boost the 16k by 6-10 dB. They sounded almost mediocre but the detail still wasn't there.

I replaced them with the Galaxy Buds Pro which sounds decent compared to IEMs. I have no further experience with expensive Bluetooth cans. I think it is a combination of Bluetooth, being closed-back, and a distaste of the tuning.
I "rented' the XM4s for a trip back home to Ohio back in March. They sounded... ok? I mean, they were sufficient for the flight from Casper to Denver, and Denver to Columbus, but they weren't anything special. I didn't go out of my way to use them, is what I mean (though I did get the blue ones, my favorite color).

After I got back to Casper, I returned them to BestBuy.

Crazy thing is I haven't used my M50xs for a while because of the wires issue (I have the ModMic wired edition attached to my M50xs). I had them stuffed in my closet and was using some wireless Corsair cans (Virtuoso XT I think) for YouTube and gaming.

But I got the Hel 2e to try and combine my computer speakers with the LG C2 42" as a monitor (optical out of the TV into the Hel, 3.5mm out of Hel into the control puck of my Corsair SP2500s) that way I could watch the streaming apps on the TV and still use my computer speakers.

But when I got the Hel, I though I'd pull the M50xs out of the closet and give them a go - and I was BLOWN AWAY how good it sounded! So I got Tidal and was even further blown away.

Those XM5s are just so lacking in almost every category. Did my simple audio setup just ruin BT audio and headphones for me? lol

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 23
The Sony XM series are warm and bassy. You aren’t missing anything.

BT deficiencies show up in acoustic music or complex music passages. Less so with Rock/alternative/industrial music.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 23
It’s not BT per se. It’s that you just do not like the Sony house sound, which boosts the mid- and upper bass that bleeds too far into the lower mids, while leaving much of the midrange more scooped out than usual.
So, is there any house sound that you think I might like better? I have the XM3 IEMs and liked them for what they were, so I figured the XM5s would be even better than the XM4 I 'rented' and reviews are rave for the XM5.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 23
The Sony XM series are warm and bassy. You aren’t missing anything.

BT deficiencies show up in acoustic music or complex music passages. Less so with Rock/alternative/industrial music.
It sounds like I'd be even more disappointed with them listening to Two Steps from Hell or the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks. Evanesence is supposed to be right up the Sony sound alley - but they're just so muddy compared to my other listening option.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 23
I "rented' the XM4s for a trip back home to Ohio back in March. They sounded... ok? I mean, they were sufficient for the flight from Casper to Denver, and Denver to Columbus, but they weren't anything special. I didn't go out of my way to use them, is what I mean (though I did get the blue ones, my favorite color).

After I got back to Casper, I returned them to BestBuy.

Crazy thing is I haven't used my M50xs for a while because of the wires issue (I have the ModMic wired edition attached to my M50xs). I had them stuffed in my closet and was using some wireless Corsair cans (Virtuoso XT I think) for YouTube and gaming.

But I got the Hel 2e to try and combine my computer speakers with the LG C2 42" as a monitor (optical out of the TV into the Hel, 3.5mm out of Hel into the control puck of my Corsair SP2500s) that way I could watch the streaming apps on the TV and still use my computer speakers.

But when I got the Hel, I though I'd pull the M50xs out of the closet and give them a go - and I was BLOWN AWAY how good it sounded! So I got Tidal and was even further blown away.

Those XM5s are just so lacking in almost every category. Did my simple audio setup just ruin BT audio and headphones for me? lol
Ha, those are some major steps in the audio world: discovering lossless (since it is Tidal: MQA) and discovering a dedicated amp/dac. I can't say I was "blown away" with either of those two discoveries on my journey. I am happy to report that I still enjoy bluetooth and I think most people here still do. There is this active thread all about bluetooth earbuds/in-ears!

Edit: read some other posts in this thread and I have to tell you that the M50Xs are generally not well regarded here on Head-Fi: the sole reason why I never bought them.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 23
It sounds like I'd be even more disappointed with them listening to Two Steps from Hell or the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks. Evanesence is supposed to be right up the Sony sound alley - but they're just so muddy compared to my other listening option.
Depends on your budget.
You can try the ATH-M50xBT2. Same headphone but BT

It’s hard to say what you’ll like. B&O, B&W, Focal, Hfiman, etc.. all have their pluses and minuses. All have different tuning.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 23
Edit: read some other posts in this thread and I have to tell you that the M50Xs are generally not well regarded here on Head-Fi: the sole reason why I never bought them.
Really?? lol

I originally bought them as I didn't see anything in a gaming headset that appealed to me from a sound quality standpoint. So, my reading told me that it's not a bad idea to get some good headphones and just slap a ModMic on it - which is what I did. Reviews I read for the M50x said they were great, so I got them.

I didn't use them as much as I envisioned because of the wires issue. Their ability to do positional audio (even through a Creative G6 external soundcard) was underwhelming. So I didn't use them much.

So, if I'm so impressed with some headphones that are apparently not as good as I thought compared to what most on here use - what might I look into that would pair well with the Hel2?

I'd like to keep it around the XM5 price point if possible - are those HiFiman Deva Pro superior to the M50s?

EDIT: I kinda feel like Kaylee in Shindig showing up to the dance in that frilly dress all happy and proud only to find out it's pretty... subpar. lol

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 23
Really?? lol

I originally bought them as I didn't see anything in a gaming headset that appealed to me from a sound quality standpoint. So, my reading told me that it's not a bad idea to get some good headphones and just slap a ModMic on it - which is what I did. Reviews I read for the M50x said they were great, so I got them.

I didn't use them as much as I envisioned because of the wires issue. Their ability to do positional audio (even through a Creative G6 external soundcard) was underwhelming. So I didn't use them much.

So, if I'm so impressed with some headphones that are apparently not as good as I thought compared to what most on here use - what might I look into that would pair well with the Hel2?

I'd like to keep it around the XM5 price point if possible - are those HiFiman Deva Pro superior to the M50s?

EDIT: I kinda feel like Kaylee in Shindig showing up to the dance in that frilly dress all happy and proud only to find out it's pretty... subpar. lol

Haha, I wouldn't set my expectations too high. Afterall, I haven't heard the M50X. All I am saying is that a lot of Headfiers don't find the M50X favorable for music listening. If you are looking into the Deva Pro, then I can't really help you since I don't know many open-backs with bluetooth in general. I can say that the Deva Pros were a somewhat recent release and based on the reception: they aren't outstanding. Perhaps not many gave it a chance because they aren't in the market for portable headphones with no isolation. I have no idea how they compare to the M50X besides what's given on the graph already.

Now, there are many well-doted-for wired headphones in your price range. The 600/6XX are well regarded on here and other audio sites. Both have sufficient detail and should be able to be driven with the Hel 2. The 6XX is considered warm-neutral while the 600s are neutral-bright.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 23

Might want to let them run and play music for 100-200 hours and reevaluate before returning.

Theres alot of electronics inside those headphones, including a dac and amp.

I've never heard the xm5 but you could try burning it in to eliminate that as a possibility.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Haha, I wouldn't set my expectations too high. Afterall, I haven't heard the M50X. All I am saying is that a lot of Headfiers don't find the M50X favorable for music listening. If you are looking into the Deva Pro, then I can't really help you since I don't know many open-backs with bluetooth in general. I can say that the Deva Pros were a somewhat recent release and based on the reception: they aren't outstanding. Perhaps not many gave it a chance because they aren't in the market for portable headphones with no isolation. I have no idea how they compare to the M50X besides what's given on the graph already.

Now, there are many well-doted-for wired headphones in your price range. The 600/6XX are well regarded on here and other audio sites. Both have sufficient detail and should be able to be driven with the Hel 2. The 6XX is considered warm-neutral while the 600s are neutral-bright.
M50x is terrible. Quite V Shaped too. I only bought it because it was orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back