Am i crazy?
Feb 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gamingmusiclove

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, listen up. Right now, i have an X1, a V-MODA M100 and an AD-700. Yes, budget stuff. Now, i have been debating this urge but i want to make the jump to high end. Now, most of you i bet have a collection of different headphones, and have many experience in this. Yet, i don´t. But, then, i want to get to summit-fi? because i don´t see the appeal of escalating from headphone to headphone. I dont have the ways to do that. So i thought, maybe if i just jump directly to high end, i might do the right thing and end my headphone journey. The only thing is, i can´t try headphones where i live. Yeah, i know what yo are thinking "Buying 1000$+ equipment blindly? Madness!". So thats why i came here. I was thinking of either buying the HD-800, T1, or some others. What i was looking for first was huge, yet good and natural soundstage, good mids, amazing treble, and wild card bass. Do you think this is stupid or an actual good idea? one thing though, next year i might go to CES. In that case i could try them. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hey guys, listen up. Right now, i have an X1, a V-MODA M100 and an AD-700. Yes, budget stuff. Now, i have been debating this urge but i want to make the jump to high end. Now, most of you i bet have a collection of different headphones, and have many experience in this. Yet, i don´t. But, then, i want to get to summit-fi? because i don´t see the appeal of escalating from headphone to headphone. I dont have the ways to do that. So i thought, maybe if i just jump directly to high end, i might do the right thing and end my headphone journey. The only thing is, i can´t try headphones where i live. Yeah, i know what yo are thinking "Buying 1000$+ equipment blindly? Madness!". So thats why i came here. I was thinking of either buying the HD-800, T1, or some others. What i was looking for first was huge, yet good and natural soundstage, good mids, amazing treble, and wild card bass. Do you think this is stupid or an actual good idea? one thing though, next year i might go to CES. In that case i could try them. 

My honest opinion? Don't. It's a waste of money. I sold my pair of HD600s to buy HD800s and now after a year guess what? I sold the HD800s and bought a pair of HD600. I know I will get insulted by saying this but I found HD600s superior in many areas and in all keypoints that are fundamental for me to enjoy hifi listening, despite the huge price difference. After all this I learnt that before buying such pricey cans I have to listen to them and check if they are worth the price.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5

Because i don´t see the appeal of escalating from headphone to headphone. I dont have the ways to do that. So i thought, maybe if i just jump directly to high end, i might do the right thing and end my headphone journey. The only thing is, i can´t try headphones where i live. Yeah, i know what yo are thinking "Buying 1000$+ equipment blindly? Madness!". So thats why i came here. I was thinking of either buying the HD-800, T1, or some others. What i was looking for first was huge, yet good and natural soundstage, good mids, amazing treble, and wild card bass. Do you think this is stupid or an actual good idea? one thing though, next year i might go to CES. In that case i could try them. 

I don't know how the set-ups in CES are like, but if the area is noisy, it's far from the ideal way of listening to audio equipment.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 5
  My honest opinion? Don't. It's a waste of money. I sold my pair of HD600s to buy HD800s and now after a year guess what? I sold the HD800s and bought a pair of HD600. I know I will get insulted by saying this but I found HD600s superior in many areas and in all keypoints that are fundamental for me to enjoy hifi listening, despite the huge price difference. After all this I learnt that before buying such pricey cans I have to listen to them and check if they are worth the price.

Sounds like you'd be better off upgrading to LCD-2s 
biggrin.gif

I would never suggest jumping from something like AD 700s all the way to the very top - that takes all the fun out of it and makes it really hard (and expensive) to figure out what kind of sound signature you want in a pair of headphones.  

I'd say to do a ton of research  and read all of the comparisons that you can on anything before you buy.  I had to do thing and you learn what you want as you hear more and more headphones.  I haven't had the luxury of getting to audition or going to meets so I just had to be careful on what I chose to buy and worse case scenario I throw it on the B/S/T or eBay and get something else that works better for me.  That's what I had to do with Q701s.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Sounds like you'd be better off upgrading to LCD-2s :D

[rule]I would never suggest jumping from something like AD 700s all the way to the very top - that takes all the fun out of it and makes it really hard (and expensive) to figure out what kind of sound signature you want in a pair of headphones.  

I'd say to do a ton of research  and read all of the comparisons that you can on anything before you buy.  I had to do thing and you learn what you want as you hear more and more headphones.  I haven't had the luxury of getting to audition or going to meets so I just had to be careful on what I chose to buy and worse case scenario I throw it on the B/S/T or eBay and get something else that works better for me.  That's what I had to do with Q701s.

I think i made up muy mind. I think i wont jump to high end right now. Ill buy the k712 with magni/modi 2 uber. If that doesn't satisfy me, ill sello it and definetely jump yo high en. Thank you qll guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back