Am I crazy? EEMinimax/EF6/HE6 vs CLAS/ALO Continental/LCD2r1...the second is my favorite.
Oct 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

basementdweller

100+ Head-Fier
I am starting to think that I don't exactly have golden ears here...I prefer my transportable rig to my main one.  Really, I listen to my transportable a lot more simply because I can carry it around the house, but now I just A/Bed the two systems and plugged both headphones into the HE6 and I still prefer the transportable.  I can probably mark this one up to personal tastes but it still surprises me a bit.  Anybody think something is out of place here?  Maybe I should try this again when I am sober?  In any case rocking out the later wins.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Put a 2 after the r and you've got my portable rig configuration, altho I prefer my T5p for that, since they're much easier to drive.

The LCD-2 cans really sparkle tho in my Audio Note Kit 2.1 sig tube DAC and Cavalli LF amp home rig.  The only upgrade I'm contemplating there is to replace the ANK DAC line out caps with IE core transformers and tubes.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 4
I still want to try a revision 2 at some point but at this point the journey has gone strange so I am holding back.  I know I prefer a natural sound signature but that is about it, it is very tempting to sell off some high end gear, bane myself from the forum and call it good.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, kudos to you if you can avoid the virulent "upgraditis" that sweeps though these forums.  It really comes down to what you want out of your music, and at what level of reproduction are you satisfactorily engaged.  And what you're experiencing may be just the synergy of the audio pathway components to produce a a sonic signature that you prefer.

But the HE-6 is notoriously hard to drive to properly blossom, as you know, and there are some who say that the even the EF-6 is not sufficient. How do your LCD-2s sound with the EF-6?

I do understand your point, however, and perhaps someone more grounded technically might point you toward ways to further optimize your particular home rig setup to enhance your musical enjoyment.  I heard distinct improvements in mine when I stabilized my components platform and rolled in some NOS tubes. Cables are another low hanging fruit, but the sonic improvement may not be so immediate.

One thing I do know is that you can discriminate more than you think you can going in, even for old relics like myself.  And that's actually what drives this audiphile avocation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back