Am I asking for too much?
Mar 15, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

endure

New Head-Fier
All I'm trying to find is a headset with nice bass/highs for electronic/dance and able to be used with rock/screamo/whatever and gameing, I don't mind spending up to 375 for a headset + soundcard but all I need to be is sure that what I'm getting is fit for me so if someone could help me so I'm not going back and forth between 10 headsets trying to figure out on my own which is better since I have to ship and would like to get something great so I don't have to return it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What have you had/liked/disliked thus far... if anything?

I havn't really gotten a chance to try much since this is my first big purchase for phones/sound cards so I won't be missing much but I atleast want it to be a lot better then 50$ logitech headphones which isn't much but they arn't that bad, just like how they fit everything I did. All types of music except classical and were pretty good for gaming, but I'm looking for a big step up from that.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 36
I would suggest the Audio Technica ATH-AD900 paired with a NuForce uDac. Check Amazon for the AD900s, and you can find the uDac from any number of sources.

This is all assuming that when you say "headset", you aren't actually looking for headphones + mic, but rather just headphones.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 36
Err I believe you will want to purchase an audiophile headphone then get an external mic. It works better that way. You will have a nice/very nice headphone for $200-$250 which makes a HUGE different w/ music and great w/ gaming.

Don't buy 5.1 stuff like Logitech G35 or Razor etc... They suck!

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 36
Yup! Some want a headset. But I personally believe audiophile headphone + good mic is better. It functions pretty the same right?

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not Beyers MMX300? But seriously, maybe some of us WANT A HEADSET! NOT a headphone and mic combo!

Guess what a headset is
biggrin.gif

A clue: "A headset is a headphone combined with a microphone."

Look for that AD700 mod that literally glues (or at least attaches) a microphone directly to one of the cups. Ta da, instant(ish) headset that'll sound better than pre-assembled headsets costing probably twice as much.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 36
I've got Audio-Technica A900s, so the closed cups not open. I can vouch that they're a good entry level 'phone. I hardly ever use them for listening anymore, but they did alright with Hip-Hop, psychedelic - not out of this world or anything, though. Although I haven't heard the AD900s, I imagine the closed cups would have a little more thump in the bass than something open (perhaps someone who's done A/B on these could comment a little better). These days I mostly use them when playing MW2, the details are crisp - makes it easier to hear people sneaking up on you.

I just want to qualify my experience with the AD900s a little more. The bass is moderately punchy, ample but not mind blowing, and I wouldn't exactly call it "crisp." The vocals and upper end are a little muddy. It's well rounded but doesn't shine brightly anywhere.

I'm not big into chatting while gaming tho, so a separate mic does the trick pretty well for me. Right before I edited here, I saw the poster below me comment on tangled wires with headset vs. seperate mic. I think it all depends on your setup, I've never had a tangling problem. It all depends on what your source is...

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup! Some want a headset. But I personally believe audiophile headphone + good mic is better. It functions pretty the same right?

Function, yes. inconvenience, yes.
I have been doing the mic and headphone thing for awhile and all I get is tangled up cords. plus a mic is a lot harder to find when it's not attached.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess what a headset is
biggrin.gif

A clue: "A headset is a headphone combined with a microphone."

Look for that AD700 mod that literally glues (or at least attaches) a microphone directly to one of the cups. Ta da, instant(ish) headset that'll sound better than pre-assembled headsets costing probably twice as much.

I have done that too, that extra cables and weight are just a pain. I'd rather spend a little extra or sacrifice some sound quality for convince in this case.
I have higher end cans for music or any critical listening. But for games, who cares.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sh0eWax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got Audio-Technica A900s, so the closed cups not open. I can vouch that they're a good entry level 'phone. I hardly ever use them for listening anymore, but they did alright with Hip-Hop, psychedelic - not out of this world or anything, though. Although I haven't heard the AD900s, I imagine the closed cups would have a little more thump in the bass than something open (perhaps someone who's done A/B on these could comment a little better). These days I mostly use them when playing MW2, the details are crisp - makes it easier to hear people sneaking up on you.

I just want to qualify my experience with the AD900s a little more. The bass is moderately punchy, ample but not mind blowing, and I wouldn't exactly call it "crisp." The vocals and upper end are a little muddy. It's well rounded but doesn't shine brightly anywhere.

I'm not big into chatting while gaming tho, so a separate mic does the trick pretty well for me. Right before I edited here, I saw the poster below me comment on tangled wires with headset vs. seperate mic. I think it all depends on your setup, I've never had a tangling problem. It all depends on what your source is...

I'm thinking about the AD900s but although they don't shine in anything compared to a lets say 150$ headset are they a big improvement? I'm more of a I just want my music + gaming to be nice, doesn't have to be amazing but just want something pretty good for the money
tongue.gif

edit: didn't know you said a900s
frown.gif
is there anyone that owns ad900s that's tried them with gameing/dance

edit2: the only ad900s i can find that will ship to canada is from some site called audiocubes for 310 CAD

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by endure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about the AD900s but although they don't shine in anything compared to a lets say 150$ headset are they a big improvement? I'm more of a I just want my music + gaming to be nice, doesn't have to be amazing but just want something pretty good for the money
tongue.gif

edit: didn't know you said a900s
frown.gif
is there anyone that owns ad900s that's tried them with gameing/dance

When I said they didn't "shine" it was more in comparison to the other gear discussed in these forums. Although, everyone's ears are different I think you'd definitely be able to appreciate the difference over the headset (mic, headphone combo). I think the question you've got to ask yourself is if you'd rather have something with punchy bass (and it really is punchy, I went back and did a quick listen for the A900) or do you want something with better soundstage (a more important effect for gaming, AD900).

Also, what's your source? I'd consider some of the available choices for a source, like the uDac suggested above. You wouldn't need to upgrade sound card and you'd have a nice versatile DAC. You don't need anything very powerful, in my experience the A900 doesn't benefit too much from higher end amplification. I don't want to give you any suggestions because I haven't tried too much of the lower budget options out there, I just wanna suggest you browse the amplification forums, and do some searching. It's never a good idea to go based on only one person's recommendation, not in this hobby at least.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 36
I've heard good things about the Sennheiser PC350 headset, although most of those things were read off of Amazon reviews while I was looking for a gaming headset a while back. I don't think they are as well loved here on HF.

Someone earlier suggested a uDac, but I wouldn't go with that. Soundcards may come with a lot of bloatware, but their surround sound processing is kind of essential for PC gaming. The uDac doesn't feature anything comparable, so spacial awareness is never going to be as good as it could be with a soundcard. Someone else will have to give you soundcard advice (I've switched over to console gaming almost exclusively)

Oh, and from my experience, nothing is as convenient as a headset. I went with a headset (the brand name eludes me...) that works with PC, 360, and PS3, and I've never had any problems. The issue with a headphone/mic solution is that it won't work with the consoles. If you don't play any consoles, this obviously wouldn't be an issue though.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue with a headphone/mic solution is that it won't work with the consoles. If you don't play any consoles, this obviously wouldn't be an issue though.

Why not?

Using a USB mic and the headphone output from your stereo should work with the PS3. I don't recall if Xbox supports USB mics, I'm leaning towards yes.

Unless I'm way off base here and not seeing something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back