Alternatives for Big Ears?
Aug 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LmnLm3

New Head-Fier
So my AKG K240s broke (the mini-xlr jack on the phones themselves. might have lost the wire.) the leads came unsoldered from the jack, and I don't know how to solder, or have any.

I use these as studio monitors (everything from mixing classical acoustic strings to tweaking dubstep in Live to creating synths in Reason) Amazon has them for $90 right now but they're new new made in china crap. Is it worth it to spend the money to repair the ones I have? Buy the new ones? Or look for something else?

The reason I like the AKG phones is because I have large ears. And they stick out. So I need a large cup with deep padding (forget sony! And forget on-ear nonsense!) NOT looking for iem, really want full size.

Saw M-Audio's offerings (3.5mm on both sides of the removable cord??? Sweet! CAn I mod my 240s to do that?!?!?) but read that the sound is not so good. I like the 15-25 response curve on the 240s, but they're the only real phones I've ever owned (besides KOSS Pro44A haha)

HELP! and BOTHER! ...and thanks!!!

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Just get any old bit of metal and jam it into the mini xlr jack on the headphones then duct tape it to the headphones, then put the other end in a 3.5mm extension cable and duct tape it to that, voila fixed headphone cable ending in 3.5mm jack. 
less than £5 to repair.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 3
haha I meant a stable mod that would be secure if I take them out to a pro studio or whatever :) probably wouldn't cost much more, but my problem is that the XLR jack has no connection to the drivers... My first concern is if I should spend the money to repair these or just replace them? Are the china made units any worse than the austrian made 240 Studio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back