Alternative to Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB
Oct 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PedroH

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using the Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB connected to a MacBookPro and Grado RS1i to listen to music at the office.

Now I am planning to buy a similar system for home. I could buy exactly the same system but I would like to try something different (and better).

What's the best alternative to the Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB (i.e. DAC + headphone amplifier) in a single or multiple components up to 3.000€?

Thanks, Pedro

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 10
You  might want to look at BCL clones. The Lovely Cube is, apparently, a straight-up clone of the Lehmann, whereas the Matrix M-Stage is more 'inspired' by the Black Cube Linear. Both will cost you significantly less than an actual BCL, and far, far less than your 3000€ budget.

As far as I know, both the Lovely Cube and Matrix M-Stage are pure amps, however, so you'll need to pick a DAC to compliment either.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 10
As I am looking for something different (and better), to develop my sensitivity to different equipments,  I would avoid the clones.

My initial alternative solutions are:

• Buy a very good DAC (HRT Music Streamer II+  ???) and reutilize a Project HeadBox II (I already have) to amp the Grado RS1i at home; Buy Beyerdinamic T1 to use at the office with the Lehmann.
  • Buy Beyerdinamic T1 to use at home together with the following alternative DAC + Amp systems:
  1. Meier Symphony 2;
  2. Meier Concerto & Meier Stagedac;
  3. HRT Music Streamer II+ & SPL Auditor or Phonitor.

Which one of these solutions would you choose? Is there a better solution not listed here?

Thanks a lot. I'm new to HiFi and so any feed-back is valuable to me.

Pedro

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry, I must have missed that bit about wanting something different. I'm afraid I've never dabbled in gear quite as hi-end as the components you've mentioned (such as the T1 and Concerto), so I can't give you much advice there.

Perhaps you could ask in the amp or full-sized headphone forums? This equipment sub-forum is mainly for Dedicated Source Components, so I have a feeling that most of the advice in here will be regarding turntables, CD players, that sort of thing.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I know this is a rather late response, but I found this thread while looking for anyone else using the Lehmann Black Cube usb (which I am a fan of!)

I think when considering new equipment, one of the most important things to consider is the type of music that one enjoys listening to. I am a believer that no equipment can do everything well - many, yes, but not everything.

What kind of music do you usually listen to?

May 27, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 10
May 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
As I am looking for something different (and better), to develop my sensitivity to different equipments,  I would avoid the clones.

My initial alternative solutions are:

• Buy a very good DAC (HRT Music Streamer II+  ???) and reutilize a Project HeadBox II (I already have) to amp the Grado RS1i at home; Buy Beyerdinamic T1 to use at the office with the Lehmann.
  • Buy Beyerdinamic T1 to use at home together with the following alternative DAC + Amp systems:
  1. Meier Symphony 2;
  2. Meier Concerto & Meier Stagedac;
  3. HRT Music Streamer II+ & SPL Auditor or Phonitor.

Which one of these solutions would you choose? Is there a better solution not listed here?

Thanks a lot. I'm new to HiFi and so any feed-back is valuable to me.

Pedro

I have tried a few but not all the components listed below but going objectively(and reading a lot), if I had 3000 euros, I would definitely buy one of these with my awesome(future) phones.

Nice DAC options:
Violectric V800(its a DAC only), Benchmark DAC1(DAC+amp) <-----neutral DACs
Centrance DACport LX(it is similar and probably less prone to crashing computers),<----- small and neutral, similar to HRT MS II+ features wise
DACmini CX/ DACmini PX(comes with speaker outs)<------- slightly coloured without the 1 ohm mod DAC+amp
Lavry DA11<---- probably slightly coloured headphone out,comes with Playback Image Control

Combos to consider:
Smyth Research Realiser A8 with Stax 2170 system for 3.6 euro more for a out of head experience,
The crazy offer that Headroom is having right now for their HD800 system.
Or if headphones are not neccessary, the Centrance audiophile Desktop is a good choice if you know how to deal with a little EQ or room acoustics.

Amps:
SPL Phonitor(I like), Auditor,
Bottlehead Crack(quite nice for the money I say),
Violectric V200/V90/V181(actually the V90 is more than enough for the T1/HD800, the damping factor is way over the top with the other models)
Or if you really like the Black cube linear, pair it up with a HD800 and a DAC to get a "Sennheiser" model rig.

EDIT: made it more readable

May 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I didn't see the USB version.   Just the amp.

I've never heard of a USB version of the Lovely Cube?  Are you thinking of the M-stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back