ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #31 of 144
No one mentioning Sylvania tubes, while I think they are really good.

Here's the link to ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Sylvania-NOS-NIB-JAN-CHS-6AK5W-6J1-EF95-tubes-1942-Little-Dot-/201101819304?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ed29a3da8

In case link didn't work here is the name of the product:

Sylvania NOS/NIB JAN CHS-6AK5W/6J1/EF95 tubes

I'm still interested in knowing if there is anyone besides me who tried those, and what are the thoughts
rolleyes.gif

I've tried the Sylvania JAN-CHS tubes, but did not care for them much compared to other tubes.

I tried to find the right headphones to match up to them, without much success. They did sound best with the Audio-Technica AD2000X cans among those I tried (the others I tried were: Denon AH-D7000; ; Audio-Technica AD2000; Senn HD-800).  Everything seemed to lack bass, and I am definitely not a basshead. Also one tube was very microphonic.

Perhaps they just needed some burn-in time, which I did not really give them.  I immediately switched back to Telefunkens.

I have also had great results with Cifte, Mullard and Russian/Voskhod tubes.

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 144
I've tried the Sylvania JAN-CHS tubes, but did not care for them much compared to other tubes.

I tried to find the right headphones to match up to them, without much success. They did sound best with the Audio-Technica AD2000X cans among those I tried (the others I tried were: Denon AH-D7000; ; Audio-Technica AD2000; Senn HD-800).  Everything seemed to lack bass, and I am definitely not a basshead. Also one tube was very microphonic.

Perhaps they just needed some burn-in time, which I did not really give them.  I immediately switched back to Telefunkens.

I have also had great results with Cifte, Mullard and Russian/Voskhod tubes.

True, Sylvania is so microphonic that I have to isolate Pan Am from my desk, because otherwise I can hear every mouse click or key press.

I find interesting that your Sylvania didn't do well bass, in my case I find it very good, and in general I prefer them over Mullards, which sound too metallic to me. Maybe there are different versions / editions of Sylvania tubes. Mine are military from 1942 (ones from the link above), what were yours?

Also, I would like to try some new tube - which of those two would you recommend me to try next: Voskhods or Telefunkens?

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #33 of 144
True, Sylvania is so microphonic that I have to isolate Pan Am from my desk, because otherwise I can hear every mouse click or key press.

I find interesting that your Sylvania didn't do well bass, in my case I find it very good, and in general I prefer them over Mullards, which sound too metallic to me. Maybe there are different versions / editions of Sylvania tubes. Mine are military from 1942 (ones from the link above), what were yours?

Also, I would like to try some new tube - which of those two would you recommend me to try next: Voskhods or Telefunkens?

That's so odd - my tubes are exactly the same from the same seller - 1942 JAN-CHS military tubes. Go figure!

I have to say that overall, I find almost every set of tubes I've tried with the Pan Am to be excellent (except my Sylvanias - wish I had yours!). Although I do have some Hytrons that I haven't tried yet.

At any rate, so far my "best of the best" are the Telefunkens.  But the Voskhod Rockets and Cifte's are not far behind - they are all quite enjoyable with a variety of headphones..

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #36 of 144
Goodbye Pan Am! ALO is phasing it out!

From ALO:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

We are phasing out the PanAm, therefore we will not be restocking the PanAm in any colors.

New development for products are always in the works, however a PanAm replacement is not in the immediate future.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'd gladly help.

Best regards, "

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #37 of 144
My bet is that you'll like them.  Enjoy!

I just received two pairs. I'm testing them now. As far I kinda like Sylvania more... These Voskhods have more punchy low-low-end, and less harassing high-high-treble, but they also have more relaxed mids. In general with Alpha Dogs they sound like perfect match, since Alphas have this peak at 10kHz, which I have to EQ, when using Sylvania.

However, I have the feeling that Sylvania are louder, and their low-end is little higher freq than Voskhods, but its still deep down in sub bass, and Sylvania mids are more emphasized, they hurt more :)
So with Sylvania my setup sounds like listening to monitor speakers, and with Voskhods it sounds more like in a venue where there is some damping.

Both tubes present similar level of sound quality. Though in my subjective feeling Sylvania delivers more detail, but this is truly subjective. The detail delivered by Voskhods is also very impressive.

The difference between Sylvania and Voskhods is like difference between NAD and Denon house sound, both good, but both different - and I do actually like both :)

My setup need to be mentioned here:

Spotify in HQ (320kbps) + VSTHost + iDSD nano + Pan Am + Alpha Dogs

I tried VSTHost with direct IN-OUT connection, as well with my default plugin chain, which is:

IN --> TB_EQ (+3dB 60Hz, -3dB 500Hz, +3dB 4kHz) --> TB_Isone (Far Field + Hi-Fi speakers, 18deg, low cut at 40Hz) --> TB_EQ (+3dB 5.5kHz, -6dB 10kHz, +6dB 15kHz) --> OUT

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #39 of 144
I see different point of view saying it's not necessary to get some matched tubes especially with ef 95 does it makes sense ?
(having 5 % tolerance)

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #40 of 144
I am trying to find tubes with highs emphasis, nice medium and excellent low end, i'll give the Telefunken a try

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #43 of 144
Hey guys, I currently am still breaking in my PanAm, but I currently am using the French RTA tubes that were offered through ALOaudio. I really like them to be honest they do wonderful things to treble and spaciousness. But I was hoping I could get a couple recommendations two in fact that would be good to pair with these ones. I currently use two headphones right now the most do to breaking in and demoing new gear. The ZMF X Vibro(really loving it so far) and the Beyerdynamic T70p( way better than I had read, similar to the DT880s in neutrality and spaciousness for a closed can it is really impressive.) My main hp before them two was the HD600s which I still have, and the IEM ER4PT with the S converter as well. Please any recommendations, I am looking at the Mullards due to liking them before with another tube amp, also the Siemens potentially to add some more tightness to the already nice bass of the ZmF X Vibro.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #45 of 144
Where can you find Ciftes I find nothing on Ebay except one pair of mullards that are in the US. Then some RCA, which I have not heard how they may sound from anynoe, a pair of 1948 GE which look to be in good condition. I am wanting to pay for the Mullards and Ciftes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back