ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jul 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #661 of 1,147
I've also joined the PanAm owners club!  I saw the sale and decided to risk it even though I've seen mixed reviews with the HD800s.  I got the Passport as well and they should be arriving on Monday.  I originally ordered the black version but apparently that's discontinued, so I ended up getting the silver version.

ALO only had the Radiotechnique tubes available as optional extras, so I've bought those in case they turn out okay (they were cheap enough), but I'll try and source some Mullards too as those work best in my Earmax.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #662 of 1,147
So I think I am in a pickle here. I got the pan am in. I live in Portland so i was able to just go and pick it up.

Well just like previous comments the thing distorts on the T50 drivers. This doesn't happen on low gain as fast as high gain. I noticed it as soon as I plugged my ZMF x Vibros. Well I want to return it/sell it buttttttt.... This bass is incredibly tight and textured and My Voshkods haven't even arrived yet! Stock sounds really good. I can't recall an amp having better bass than this. It's either keep it and run a line out from the hp out into an emotiva mini on low gain, or just get a lyr 2 now and be stuck without a good dac under 250 to give me rich tight bass.

Man what a freaking bummer. Ideal sound but distorted. I had this issue with the island but even worse.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #663 of 1,147
Anyone here uses iDAC for the pan am? Is iDAC better than pan am built in dac? :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #664 of 1,147
So I think I am in a pickle here. I got the pan am in. I live in Portland so i was able to just go and pick it up.

Well just like previous comments the thing distorts on the T50 drivers. This doesn't happen on low gain as fast as high gain. I noticed it as soon as I plugged my ZMF x Vibros. Well I want to return it/sell it buttttttt.... This bass is incredibly tight and textured and My Voshkods haven't even arrived yet! Stock sounds really good. I can't recall an amp having better bass than this. It's either keep it and run a line out from the hp out into an emotiva mini on low gain, or just get a lyr 2 now and be stuck without a good dac under 250 to give me rich tight bass.

Man what a freaking bummer. Ideal sound but distorted. I had this issue with the island but even worse.

If you like the bass with the stock tubes, you'll love them with the Voshkods

To get the sound distorted you should listen to a very high level ??
I don't get any distortion with my lcd2, my ears are bleeding before

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #667 of 1,147

I highly recommend get those:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Sylvania-NOS-NIB-JAN-CHS-6AK5W-6J1-EF95-tubes-1942-Little-Dot-/201101819304?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ed29a3da8

They don't distort that much, you can drive T50 drivers up to really huge amount of bass, and also these tubes extremely improve stability of Pan Am, which results in detailed mids, tight bass, and only slight distortion in high freq. The distortion starts to appear at 3 o'clock when I boost bass to reach almost 0dB, but even then it's still a pleasure to listen (if loosing hearing can be called pleasure) :p

BTW I am curious how ZMF x Vibros would compare to Alpha Dogs. They are on Alpha pads, yes?

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #669 of 1,147
I have my PanAm and about 24 hours of time with the stock tubes (do they have a name?) and they are already a beautiful match with my LCD-2's.

I was looking into transportation options for it and it's Passport buddy and I didn't realize that the Carry On from ALO's website was for that purpose. The pouches looked too small, but the PanAm was also smaller than I was expecting, even with everyone saying how small it is.

Does anyone have the Carry On? Any other cases for them? I might go the Pelican route and transport them with my Audeze's, but I think I'd rather put the PanAm/Passport/tubes in a case and that case in another bag that I usually carry.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #670 of 1,147
Pan Am is being phased out.

From ALO:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

We are phasing out the PanAm, therefore we will not be restocking the PanAm in any colors.

New development for products are always in the works, however a PanAm replacement is not in the immediate future.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'd gladly help.

Best regards, "

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #672 of 1,147
I wonder why. The amp is great and seems popular enough.

I also wonder what their cooking up next.

Both very good questions. :popcorn:

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #674 of 1,147
Any idea why?  I was literally on the way to ordering one until i saw this?  not sure if i should try something else now...?

Dunno why. They've moved on from some of their other portables and replaced with newer versions, but I don't know if this is the case here.

I would grab one while you can if you want one. It's a great little amp that sounds very nice (especially with Audeze cans).

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #675 of 1,147
I would think they must have had trouble with this product. I dunno, mine works fine, I have no issues with it. Maybe its production cost made it less profitable. They don't really have any new version or anything that would replace it... They made it easier for one who were thinking of buying one or fireflies, now you have to go with fireflies... which is not such a bad choice, but tubes are more expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back