ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jul 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #646 of 1,147
Some say Lyr has more raw power. I dunno about Lyr, but I know that Pan Am cannot fully power my Alpha Dogs, i.e. at 3 o'clock I start hearing distortions with louder, bassier tunes, while this does not happen when I connect Alphas to Behringer (then I can actually loose hearing, and still no distortion).

I think it might have something to do with the tubes, however with Mullards this problem was bigger and with my current Sylvania it's lesser. The stock tubes were louder, and I am not sure about if they distorted or not. It could be that you can get better tubes for Lyr, and thus better SQ.

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #647 of 1,147
Some say Lyr has more raw power. I dunno about Lyr, but I know that Pan Am cannot fully power my Alpha Dogs, i.e. at 3 o'clock I start hearing distortions with louder, bassier tunes, while this does not happen when I connect Alphas to Behringer (then I can actually loose hearing, and still no distortion).

I think it might have something to do with the tubes, however with Mullards this problem was bigger and with my current Sylvania it's lesser. The stock tubes were louder, and I am not sure about if they distorted or not. It could be that you can get better tubes for Lyr, and thus better SQ.

Really? That's odd. Does this happen at high gain?

From my experience, the Pan Am has more than enough power to drive both the HiFiMAN HE-500 and the Beyerdynamic T1, for example. And I always used medium gain when driving those headphones.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #648 of 1,147
 Really? That's odd. Does this happen at high gain?

From my experience, the Pan Am has more than enough power to drive both the HiFiMAN HE-500 and the Beyerdynamic T1, for example. And I always used medium gain when driving those headphones.

Nope, it happens at low gain, and volume set to 3 o'clock. I EQ lower end, but signal itself is not distorted, it's the Pan Am adding the distortion.

Also, at 3 o'clock Alpha Dogs are very loud, so maybe for some people it is too loud... :D

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #649 of 1,147
Nope, it happens at low gain, and volume set to 3 o'clock. I EQ lower end, but signal itself is not distorted, it's the Pan Am adding the distortion.

Also, at 3 o'clock Alpha Dogs are very loud, so maybe for some people it is too loud...
biggrin.gif

Got it.
 I have never listened to the Pan Am with volume past 3 o'clock. I'll do it and post back in case I notice something weird.

Did you try using medium or high gain and did you notice distortion around the same loudness (before 3 o'clock, of course)? Because maybe it is the pot? I know the RxMK3B+ doesn't seem to go louder after 3 in the pot.

In any case I use an amp where I need to put the volume up to 3 I simply consider it's underpowered and turn the gain switch (if there is one). But that's me and I understand a good amp should be able to put out power from min to max of the volume pot.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #651 of 1,147
 Got it.
 I have never listened to the Pan Am with volume past 3 o'clock. I'll do it and post back in case I notice something weird.

Did you try using medium or high gain and did you notice distortion around the same loudness (before 3 o'clock, of course)? Because maybe it is the pot? I know the RxMK3B+ doesn't seem to go louder after 3 in the pot.

In any case I use an amp where I need to put the volume up to 3 I simply consider it's underpowered and turn the gain switch (if there is one). But that's me and I understand a good amp should be able to put out power from min to max of the volume pot.

If I turn HI gain it starts distorting at 12 o'clock.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #652 of 1,147
I finally pulled the trigger on the Pan Am, since ALO has a sale going on their site.

Got the Pan Am and the Passport for $500 and I can hardly wait to plug my LCD-2's into it next week.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #653 of 1,147
Don't forget to change the stock Chinese tubes with others

And enjoy !!

really love this amp :wink:

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #655 of 1,147
Ebay is the place to go

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #656 of 1,147
I sent you a pm with a link, I didn't get mine from this seller, it has a very good reputation on ebay
The tubes are well matched and way better than stock Chinese

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #658 of 1,147
I saw the link is over now nice choice :D

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #659 of 1,147
Sorry I made a mistake with the link I gave :eek:

You need a tube with 7 pins and I see 8 on the link I sent

If you can't cancel the order I will send you for free a pair of matched Mullard CV4010 I have in stock

So confused

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #660 of 1,147
I currently have Bose Companion 5's (which lets be honest are pretty awful) .  I also have some JH11's with a port rig.   If i buy the pan am for my laptop can i connect my IEMs to the 3.5mm, and by bose companions to the other output (and then line in on the speakers)??

Would there be an improvement in the sound qual of the bose speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back