ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #332 of 1,084
Quote:
I really can't say for sure. I like the one box solution of the DX100, but find myself carrying an external amp anyway. The CLAS/MK3 fits very nicely, having basically the same dimensions, but requires a small bag to carry around in. If you like the sound of the DX on its own (which I do, only not nearly as much as a few of my other portable amps) I'd say it was the better way to go. You really can't go wrong with either. Reason suggests the DX should sound better as a source, but I have not found that to be true for me. I like the naturalness of the CLAS and am used to it after 8 months of extensive use. I'd need more time with the DX before I called it superior to the CLAS.

Guess I'll wait for the hm-901, then things will get interesting, it'll be dx100/mk3 vs hm901/mk3 vs ipod/clas/mk3...

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #333 of 1,084
Quote:
 By the time I get anything resembling a budget together, that will be the 'L5' and Ken will have retired from the headphone business - problem solved ! 
rolleyes.gif

Why would you want such a talented man to retire from this biz?  I hope he work forever and pass on his genes to his next generation so that my next genration could join the fun too..   
beyersmile.png

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #335 of 1,084
I was thinking of buying the rx mk3-b to go along with the cowon j3 and hd 650. I see it paired a lot with the cypher labs algorhythm. i dont want to sound like a complete fool or anything but i was wondering if you really need to have both or will the cowon and the amp be enough?

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #336 of 1,084
Cowon doesn't have a LO, you would still be listening to the integrated amp section in front of the Rx3.  The Rx3 would be total overkill/waste of money and would not be utilized remotely close to maximum effect w/ a J3 in front of it.  You should use a cheaper amp or replace the player/source.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #338 of 1,084
hi anaxilus  

what do you mean by LO? is it an input from the player to the amp? what amp would you suggest? i was lead to beleive that cowon were better players than i pod but all the players on the ALO audio website have ****ty ipods attached to them. i wont get an ipod they wreck my head. dont mind paying the price for the rx mk3-b but the algorhythm on top of that is a bit much for me at the moment. 

i have the cowon and the sennheiser hd 650 and im just looking for the best or one of the best setups for that situation. im using a ****ty fiio e11 at the moment but and i dont think im getting enough power too them. maybe the fiio e 17 or is that good enough

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #339 of 1,084
Quote:
hi anaxilus  

what do you mean by LO? is it an input from the player to the amp? what amp would you suggest? i was lead to beleive that cowon were better players than i pod but all the players on the ALO audio website have ****ty ipods attached to them. i wont get an ipod they wreck my head. dont mind paying the price for the rx mk3-b but the algorhythm on top of that is a bit much for me at the moment. 

i have the cowon and the sennheiser hd 650 and im just looking for the best or one of the best setups for that situation. im using a ****ty fiio e11 at the moment but and i dont think im getting enough power too them. maybe the fiio e 17 or is that good enough

An iPod essentially has 3 parts to it. The first is the hard drive storage, the 2nd is the DAC electronics to convert to HD stored music and send it to your headphones and 3rd is the amplifier. The ALO CLAS device replaces the 2nd function and does the DAC processing instead of the low quality chips in the iPod. That is why you see the iPod connected via the 30 pin adapter rather than via the headphone jack. 

The mk3-b is the 3rd step in the signal chain. It connects to the CLAS and amplifies the CLAS processed sound and send it along to the headphones. Each device independently handles one of the 3 roles but each is used for its best quality purpose.

Hope that helps!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #340 of 1,084
so this means that i cant do that with my cowon because it does not have the slot for the 30 pin adapter. i

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #341 of 1,084
Jun 25, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #343 of 1,084
Quote:
This amp always surprising me how a slim portable amp can drive the monster HE6 beautifully ! (better than some desktop amps I ever tried).

This is a very high praised comment, but a few people have said this already, so I'm guessing there's truth to it...!

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #345 of 1,084
Quote:
Really enjoying my RX MK3. But I am still not hearing any difference with the bass knob, and wondering whether I should get it send back to be checked by ALO. Anybody hearing an audible difference?

I heard it with mine...but don't normally use it with the ES5 but do with the 4r.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back