Almost decided on ER-4S as 1st pair of IEM.... But still unsure... Please help...
Mar 17, 2008 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kalidor

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to get my first pair of EARphones.. was quite set on the ER-4S. In fact, I kinda like the sound signature of the ER-4S, then I read about the TF10 Pro and then I stumbled onto the UE 10 M although I have not been able to search any info on the 10M yet.

My full sized headphones are mostly AKG, I like their house sound, especially their midrange.. I could definitely live with more bass than the K601 and my bass light K340 provides... But i thought maybe that can be solved with the right amp or EQ...

Based on this, is the ER-4S a better one for me or the 10 Pro... oh, can anyone tell me more about the 10M please??? I can't seem to find any info on it.

I will be using this pair of IEMs as a portable phone, out of a Meier Porta Cord MKIII and a ZVM 60 GB as source.... please help me to make a correct decision...

Is there any others that I should consider? I tried a UM2 but it sounded muddy and veiled compared to the 4S. Should I be looking at a Shure or the UE 10 something? I like the clarity and details of the 4S, but I think I would be estactic with a bit more impactful bass...

Any other recommendations??

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 17
You aren't going to give enough bass to the ER4S with EQ.
I vote for the Triple.fi. There are a few reviews in my signature that you could find useful.

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy er4p, later add a decent amp with P->S switch and bass boost option... <350$.
IMHO great value for money.

mmmm... the Meier Porta Cord MKIII that I'm considering to use will not be good enough to drive it??

When you say bass boost, you mean in the amp right??

Maybe I should ask this.... is there any IEMs that sound like the bass light AKG K340 or the K601 but with more impactful, hard hitting bass??

I'm quite sure that's what I'm looking for in a IEM... something that sounds like the AKG but with more bass...

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You aren't going to give enough bass to the ER4S with EQ.

I disagree. With proper EQing, I find the bass in the ER-4P and ER-4S to be quite satisfying. While not on par with, say the Shure E500/SE530, it still is very, very good.

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 17
mmm... should I be looking at the Shure 530?? Would it be closer to the AKG house sound but with more bass??

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 17
I use the ER4S with a Mini^3 and I don't feel like it's missing bass. It's very articulate bass and pretty deep, but not really hugely impactful. My favourite large headphones are my RS-1s, then followed by the RS650 and AKG K701 as a combined close 2nd; but ymmv.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS650

Interesting. Best of both worlds?

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 17
OK... so the question still remains...

Which IEM sounds closest to the AKG house sound but with more bass impact???

Anyone can help??

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm... the Meier Porta Cord MKIII that I'm considering to use will not be good enough to drive it??

When you say bass boost, you mean in the amp right??

Maybe I should ask this.... is there any IEMs that sound like the bass light AKG K340 or the K601 but with more impactful, hard hitting bass??

I'm quite sure that's what I'm looking for in a IEM... something that sounds like the AKG but with more bass...

The Sleek SA6 with =/= (treble/bass) ports is a lot like the K340 with punchier bass.
(I own the SA6, ER-4p/s and have owned the K340 for a long time)

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for your response... Haven't heard of the Sleek though.. will go check it out...

Would you say that the ER-4S sounds clearer than the K340 while the K340 sounds more lush where vocals are concerned??

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 17
The bass on the Ety4S is just fine for me. For sound isolation (with the foam ear plug) there is no better. The ety do stick out, so wearing anything over your ears (like a hat here in Wis.) is difficult. I have the q-Jays, which I like better for fit and sound, but their sound isolation isn't as good as the ety4s. I use the ety 4s at the gym with an Airhead amp and iRiver T60. It isn't bad and good between them, just different.

I tried some Shures (don't remember the model number) and hated them.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response... Haven't heard of the Sleek though.. will go check it out...

Would you say that the ER-4S sounds clearer than the K340 while the K340 sounds more lush where vocals are concerned??

Definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back